News Leica mirrorless camera

I am sure it will have nice IQ based on their previous apsc cameras, but the price point will be high again based on their history. They don't need to sell a lot as they make profit w/ low sales due to their niche. At one of the auto magazine, I read Ferrari manager saying why they need to produce a SUV when they limit their car numbers... Leica is somewhat similar.

Thanks serhan! I saw that myself today...and it immediately got me thinking.

However, I'm not so sure that the brief announcement says it is going to be Panasonic built.

This is how Leica's CEO Alfred Schopf recently described their compact system camera solution:

"We will have one, definitely. And it will, of course, be quite different to M system. We want to have autofocus with such a system and we may well have an APSC size sensor rather than a bigger one. It will be a German built camera, however I'm not sure we can make all of the lenses made in Germany because we are talking about a different price range to M system so I could imagine that we do some fixed focal length lenses in Germany and maybe with the zooms we will co-operate with a partner"

Read more on LeicaRumors.com: Rumors: Leica T type 701 mirrorless camera to be announced on April 24th - Leica Rumors

Personally, I'd like something akin to the Leica X types with more options (possibly lenses?) and the ability to keep the price tag no more than $2000, please.

Let the guessing begin!

leicarumors.com: Another picture of the Leica T type 701 camera
Leica-T-type-701-camera-with-M-lens-adapter.jpg

The new mirrorless solution from Leica will be an APS-C based interchangeable lens system camera with AF and without a rangefinder (it will probably have an optional EVF). The body will be made in Germany and it will be very solid built with a special new/unique design/production process.

Read more on LeicaRumors.com: Leica T type 701 camera: what do we know so far? - Leica Rumors

Can't say that I like the looks of this. It goes against traditional Leica styling and moves to some 'me-too' version of the Sony NEX and even Samsung. The body we are seeing might be the plain shell without a wrap or grip, though. It looks unfinished. I'm rather hoping that this is some crazy mockup by someone who stripped a Samsung NX and stuck a red dot on it.

If I want something with this form factor and aps-c sensor, I would more likely buy the new Sony A6000. And I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Leica fiend, too.

im a 'no vf, no go' guy myself, but i must say, after many years and many different models/manufacturers, i do really prefer articulating vfs. for my kind of photography, which is mainly candids, ive found shooting as a 'waist level' finder greatly enhances the 'stealth' factor, and almost every time i use them i know ive been able to unobrusively get shots i couldnt with a typical eye level finder. also, waist level viewing is much better than eye level in bright light. just food for thought.

Fake. Say what you will about the X1/X2 and X-Vario, but they are exquisitely made cameras that flaunt their lineage. I suspect the new T (if it does exist) will not be unlike an X-Vario with interchangeable lenses. Besides, the M adapter looks cheap and why would anyone at Leica (presumably the only people with access to a prototype) be using a Zeiss lens to test a new camera?

Maybe. I am a Leicaholic in recovery.

The system I am building around Sony's A series with Carl Zeiss lenses seems to be quite good for the price.

And of course it is full frame and able to accept any lenses, including Leica lenses.

LouisB

im a 'no vf, no go' guy myself, but i must say, after many years and many different models/manufacturers, i do really prefer articulating vfs. for my kind of photography, which is mainly candids, ive found shooting as a 'waist level' finder greatly enhances the 'stealth' factor, and almost every time i use them i know ive been able to unobrusively get shots i couldnt with a typical eye level finder. also, waist level viewing is much better than eye level in bright light. just food for thought.

I'm with you on enjoying the articulating viewfinders. I could also go use a flip screen, if I couldn't have a viewfinder for similar reasons...plus then I get to pretend I'm using a viewfinder camera.:big grin:

True, true, John - I'm afraid that is fact. I'd like to think that if I loved it that it wouldn't be too expensive for me...only time and my balance sheet will answer those questions.;)

If its an xvario with interchangeable lenses I'm gone. And I don't need another camera. It's already taken everything I have to resist that one.

To me, an APSC M mount makes sense. You can add the AF stuff and still take mf lenses without an adaptor. They can always patent the AF bits. I don't think that's what will happen though. So I'm voting for X-vario with interchangeable lenses.

I'd even put forward that there was something very much like that in the works until a little outi called Fuji went and released it first.

I also wonder whether the Panasonic Nocitron is so big, so it can cover the APSC image circle?

Gordon

Back