Flickr to Ipernity (SC Group set-up)

i honestly can't even remember. only that i was transferring a bunch of pics from yahoo photos to flickr. but those were all mostly phone pics. lol

i'll give it a go, sometime.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

I've joined and I'm trying to import photos to Ipernity. The app runs fine, but it's telling me after about 850 photos that my Ipernity quota is exceeded... Is there a limit? The app instructions said that it would import up to 2000 photos. Is there a paid account that allows for more photos?

-Ray

Man, you have to look pretty hard to find how you pay for a membership. But I have for a year. I had to delete all of my photos and start the importation from Flickr again though because there was a huge gap between when I'd exceeded my quota and when I paid to upgrade. And there was no way to go back for those photos except for one at a time. So, import underway. I'll figure out the groups and such once I'm up and running...

-Ray

seems to me that its identical to flickr (old) in that regard. the free flickr account used to only allow 200 a month and only 200 on display at any time, also, and to get more it was... what $25 a year? cheaper than ipernity, anyway. I paid for two years of ipernity. I can't see myself moving back to flickr unless ipernity goes down the same path, and wreck the whole experience like yahoo did, in which case I'd rather have the free flickr.

I'm up and running. Brought all of my photos over, imported a few of my set's into albums, and worked out most of my preferences. Oh, and joined the Serious Compacts group!

The only thing I don't like about this so far is I it appears there's no way to get a larger size or get to the links area without dragging down through the "more options" menu. On Flickr, they're both available from the main page of a photo (one with a little box below the photo, the other with a right-click). Which makes quick work of copying and pasting links. Ipernity looks like it'll be more time consuming. If I'm wrong about this please let me know, but I think I scoured all of the settings and options and couldn't find a way to streamline this...

I'll likely run 'em both in parallel for a while and see if I prefer one or the other. Of course, since I never disliked Flickr, I'm not sure why I'm trying this, but I'll try damn near anything for a while to see how I like it...

-Ray

Yup. I havent found a way of doing it other than from the more options menu. I decided it was worth the grief since I post so infrequently :)

Sometimes I post more than others, but I do like to view photos (mine and other's at larger than default sizes, so that's where it comes into play a lot. I was looking at some photos on Filkriver earlier and there I can scroll through the whole lot of them at full size on my 27" monitor without doing anything in particular. That might be what keeps me on Flickr in the long run...

-Ray

If you want to view your photostream in the "old" style you can add the "?details=1" suffix to your flickr url as shown below,

Code:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicprins/?details=1

which looks like this:

Nic Prins

Thanks Nick, that just what I wanted

(my ride on mower has just died, can you fix that?)

I like using this workaround because you can see the title and description along with the image without having to mouseover, but it goes to the other extreme of being too plain in appearance. Somewhere between acres of white space and a collage of images separated by a one pixel wide strip on either side there must be a better way to do this. The problem I'm seeing with an alternative like Ipernity is that they seem to be no more ambitious than simply trying to appeal to the disgruntled flickr user who preferred the status quo. While not all progress is good, I am not a fan of over-conservatism. Surely the flickr model from a few years ago is not as good as an image hosting site can be in 2014 and into the future.

I think it just depends on what you want, really. I like the older way of managing things and on flickr have found it difficult to find the bits and pieces I wanted. I became over conservative because flicker can crash my ipads: thats when I started getting annoyed with the changes. ipernity won't cause any issues.

I think it just depends on what you want, really. I like the older way of managing things and on flickr have found it difficult to find the bits and pieces I wanted. I became over conservative because flicker can crash my ipads: thats when I started getting annoyed with the changes. ipernity won't cause any issues.
That's true - Flickr can be a bandwidth-hungry beast! I'm ordinarily ok with that, having plenty if the stuff available. But I've been caught out by it traveling a couple of times in the past many months and I've seen what it can do to an iPad!

-Ray

I prefer to post "small sized" images on the net

I need something simple - old Flickr was OK and I'd got used to it - so much so I paid for a PRO account - when they changed I just found it too much in your face and confusing, so I did not renew

Can you start a simple "blog" on the site?

I bought a new mower yesterday and will go "for a ride" today - (if I can drag myself away from smartening up my "good" images)

on

http://www.ipernity.com/home/679211

Discovered that you can't get BB codes if you're not a paying member which seems a bit cheap. Just means I have to keep posting to Flickr anyway to post anything to SC. I've now signed up on a free account. I'm olli - lower case 'o'. That's important.

Back