News Very Serious Compact, MF Sony coming?

seems no one can arrive at a single size for medium format. There are at least 4 different sizes from my 45 seconds of research, but the Pentax 645D is also 44x33. Whether that size should "officially" be called Medium Format when there are others that are a considerable bit larger I'll leave to greater minds than mine to debate.

Pentax, Hasselblad & Phase One are/will be using the same Sony sensor with their medium format cameras. I checked the Leica S medium format camera (body only $22K at B&H) and it uses 45x30mm sensor. Phase One has multiple sensors and the biggest one is 53.9x40.4mm.

seems no one can arrive at a single size for medium format. There are at least 4 different sizes from my 45 seconds of research, but the Pentax 645D is also 44x33. Whether that size should "officially" be called Medium Format when there are others that are a considerable bit larger I'll leave to greater minds than mine to debate.

I'll be the contrarian: The biggest problem here is that the size bump between full frame and this 44x33 sensor is not enough to make up for the fact that its going to be starved for lenses: The existing population of legacy film MF lenses that are all mechanical are mostly old, slow, weigh a ton, and have very big registration distances. So if you try to use legacy medium format glass, your talking about lenses that weigh 1-2 pounds, or even more for telephotos, and are, by and large too huge to hang on any sort of compact mirrorless body with any sort of hand-holdable ergonomics. IMHO, to justify the effort, they should have gone for a 6 x4.5 format, which would have as much added sensor real estate relative to this format, as this format has to the full 35mm frame. And the same lenses that would dwarf any proposed compact 44x33 body, will be less size mismatched on a 6 x 4.5 body, since most of these legacy lenses are built to cover either that 645 image circle, or the slightly larger 6x6 image circle.

I just don't see Sony having sufficient resources to make the modern lenses to serve this format, unless they neglect their existing A7/A7R and APS-C product lines which still are starved for modern lenses as well. So that means most adopters over the first couple of years at least, are going to be stuck with legacy medium format glass, and my critique above will hold sway.

I just re-read that rumor post and it's unclear if it is a fixed lens camera or a system camera (if it will exist beyond the rumor stage at all......LOL). I guess I was projecting my wants onto what I read.

Back