Birds Show Birds

Northern Shovelers, cruising Lake Ewauna in Klamath Falls, Oregon, in search of breakfast which they can shovel in through the lamellae, along the edge of their bills.

EM1_Feb25_22_Northern_Shovelers#1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gosh, this close ... you can count yourself among the lucky ones. Especially the males are known to loose their temper quickly ...

Still, cool shot.

M.
You were in the danger zone there with a 30mm-e lens.

- K
An adult goose can break an adult human's forearm with its beak ...

An adult goose can break an adult human's forearm with its beak ...
Swans usually do it by smacking you with their wings ... but the beak is the business end for quick, crushing hits that easily penetrate skin and, yes, can break bones. Face bones, too ...

In Lucerne, tourists, especially from the Far East, often mingle with swan families ... it can get nasty, but usually, the swan will complain before attacking (quite like a goose), so you will - as a rule - get a warning. But not if you're too close ... I once saw a family being chased off by a livid cock - they had tried to get a selfie or some such with the hen on the nest. As far as I could make out, no harm caused - but it was a close shave. I imagine it wasn't the only occurence of that kind, either - the nest was in plain sight from the plaza ...

M.

Been wanting to photograph some birds for a while. Today I took a few with the Sony, even though I don't have a birding kit, using the OM 135mm f3.5 and the 2x zuiko teleconverter.. Then I shot some doves with the Pen F and a birding lens with some reach, the Olympus 75-300. Not a pro grade lens, but not a bad piece of glass for the price.
DSC06863.jpg
DSC06864.jpg
DSC06865.jpg
P2281333.jpg
P2281338.jpg
P2281343.jpg

Back