Sony $511 Sony repair estimate for RX1

krugorg

All-Pro
Name
Kyle Krug
I picked up a used RX1 a couple weeks ago. Everything seemed to work great, but I noticed some dust starting to appear at F8 with typical post processing, so I decided to send it to Sony repair in for a sensor cleaning. A friendly Sony support person told me would cost $60 (including shipping both ways).

It took them 8 days to email the label for return (was supposed to be within 3 days), but they sent me a next-day shipping label it looks like the technician evaluated the camera within 2 days of arrival.

I just checked out the online tracker and it says my repair estimate is $511. :eek:

They are closed until Monday, so I won't be able to find out the estimate details until then. Any guesses as to what they found wrong with the camera? :confused:

You need to specify to them that you only want a sensor clean. They are estimating a CLA to factory specs. I was a Sony dealer for many years and this is standard. They do this to protect themselves against a rework for an issue unrelated to a minor repair. Frankly, i wouldn't have sent it to them in the first place.

I'd tell them to put the dust back on the sensor and return the camera. I have to believe there has been some sort of mistake.
Unless, for some reason, they discovered a problem with the sensor itself and had to replace it, that repair figure can't be right. But, if it is, I'd be tempted to say "No, thank you."
For that price the dust better have taken hostages.

At that price, I may have to try the DIY vacuum solution!

You need to specify to them that you only want a sensor clean. They are estimating a CLA to factory specs. I was a Sony dealer for many years and this is standard. They do this to protect themselves against a rework for an issue unrelated to a minor repair. Frankly, i wouldn't have sent it to them in the first place.

This makes a lot of sense.. kind of like recommended service schedules at the dealership. I will give them a call first thing Monday morning and get a cost for just the sensor cleaning (this should be $60).

What would you recommend instead of sending to Sony?

National Camera up in the Twin Cities. They should have either an in-house cleaning service or someone they use.
The only thing that might cause this to get expensive is that the dust is UNDER the anti-aliasing filter rather than on it.

Hope you get your dust challenge sorted out. My fixed lens Ricoh GRDIII developed some dust on the sensor like your RX1 and the cost to have cleaned was more than I was willing to pay. I will stick with cameras where I can remove the lens and have access to the sensor myself vice a fixed lens system for this very reason.

National Camera up in the Twin Cities. They should have either an in-house cleaning service or someone they use.
The only thing that might cause this to get expensive is that the dust is UNDER the anti-aliasing filter rather than on it.

I assumed that since it was a fixed lens camera they would want me to send to Sony. I will check in with them if it happens again.

Hope you get your dust challenge sorted out. My fixed lens Ricoh GRDIII developed some dust on the sensor like your RX1 and the cost to have cleaned was more than I was willing to pay. I will stick with cameras where I can remove the lens and have access to the sensor myself vice a fixed lens system for this very reason.

I hear ya, Duane. I would much prefer a detachable lens. I hope Ricoh gives us an option there with a new compact system soon.

I seem to remember a shop-vac story with your GRIII, Duane?

I assumed that since it was a fixed lens camera they would want me to send to Sony. I will check in with them if it happens again.

I hear ya, Duane. I would much prefer a detachable lens. I hope Ricoh gives us an option there with a new compact system soon.

I seem to remember a shop-vac story with your GRIII, Duane?

I tried the shop vac/vacuum option and it didn't really help.

I hope this works out for you. Part of the problem with the fixed lens cameras is the modular design. In order to get into the camera they need to break some of the parts. Then they replace the module. The labor is less costly but the parts can be expensive.
Honestly, the $60 estimate that you got from a Sony rep sounds like they didn't have a clue as to which camera you have. I can't see anyone doing the disassembly and cleaning for that little money.

Can I ask a weird question? Has the spot moved at all? And if you tap the camera gently in the palm of your hand can you move it? If you could get it to move off the sensor and down to the bottom of the camera it might work. If something fell onto the sensor to begin with it should move if you encourage it to do that.

I hope this works out for you. Part of the problem with the fixed lens cameras is the modular design. In order to get into the camera they need to break some of the parts. Then they replace the module. The labor is less costly but the parts can be expensive.
Honestly, the $60 estimate that you got from a Sony rep sounds like they didn't have a clue as to which camera you have. I can't see anyone doing the disassembly and cleaning for that little money.

I think the Sony representative knew that we were talking about a fixed lens camera. He said that for interchangeable lens cameras they typically recommend that the user clean the camera locally (or by themselves). He said for the RX1 they recommended sending the camera back for a sensor cleaning and that it was $60 in or out of warranty.

Can I ask a weird question? Has the spot moved at all? And if you tap the camera gently in the palm of your hand can you move it? If you could get it to move off the sensor and down to the bottom of the camera it might work. If something fell onto the sensor to begin with it should move if you encourage it to do that.

I didn't try bumping the camera, but I had something like 6-8 dust spots. They didn't seem to move with normal use and transport. I wouldn't have worried about them at all, but they were showing up at f8 with fairly gentle post processing.

That's actually encouraging that they knew what you had. I looked up the specs on that camera and there's only 2mm between the sensor and the rear lens housing. Seeing it at F8 seems a little unusual since they usually don't show up till F16 or beyond. My guess is that it came from the factory that way.
Would you mind letting us know what they say?

I talked with Sony this morning and I am beginning to think that I am getting a bargain based on everything they say they want to do for me:

- replace the lens!
- replace the LCD
- clean the sensor
- full diagnostics
- 90 day warranty

It is a little difficult getting details as you are talking to a representative at a call center who puts you on hold to talk with the Laredo repair center. From what I could understand, they indicated that they would not just do a sensor cleaning as this wouldn't get all the dust and that there was also debris in the lens assembly. I couldn't understand why they want to replace the LCD, but sounded like she was saying there was dust inside there as well (maybe they meant AA filter, who knows). I asked for a service invoice, so hope that will provide some more details.

If I look at this from a glass half full perspective, I am basically getting a refurbished RX1 for a few hundred dollars discount (and maybe the seller will help out a bit).

If you bought this on Ebay you should have some recourse. Seems like the used price for these cameras varies from $1900-$2100 for exc+++ to mint minus.
I think they replace the lens because that's where they go in to get to the sensor. It's interesting that they replace the lens and the LCD but only clean the sensor.
In any case, you have a great camera and the price seems okay for the amount of work they want to do. Getting some help from the seller will only make it better.

I talked with Sony this morning and I am beginning to think that I am getting a bargain based on everything they say they want to do for me:

- replace the lens!
- replace the LCD
- clean the sensor
- full diagnostics
- 90 day warranty

It is a little difficult getting details as you are talking to a representative at a call center who puts you on hold to talk with the Laredo repair center. From what I could understand, they indicated that they would not just do a sensor cleaning as this wouldn't get all the dust and that there was also debris in the lens assembly. I couldn't understand why they want to replace the LCD, but sounded like she was saying there was dust inside there as well (maybe they meant AA filter, who knows). I asked for a service invoice, so hope that will provide some more details.

If I look at this from a glass half full perspective, I am basically getting a refurbished RX1 for a few hundred dollars discount (and maybe the seller will help out a bit).

Hard to imagine they'd actually replace THAT lens at such a low cost (unless they're replacing it with a refurbished one and can clean and repair your's for future use as a refurb). That lens has got to be the most expensive part of that camera. If they could sell it as part of an ILC, I can't see it being less than about $1200. And given the way it compares to some vastly more expensive glass, even that would be a stone bargain...

Tough to have to spend that much right after buying something used, but OTOH you'll have a new RX1 for what's still not a bad price...

-Ray

Hard to imagine they'd actually replace THAT lens at such a low cost (unless they're replacing it with a refurbished one and can clean and repair your's for future use as a refurb).

I think you are right on here, Ray. I am guessing that the factory in Japan has to refurbish the lenses. Still, not a bad deal even for a refurbished lens. I would think this must be at cost for them.

As Roger at lensrental found w/ A7R, Sony most probably is producing modular cameras and replace the modules as needed to save the labor cost... My only experience with Sony service was with 50mm 1.8 OSS. It was making noise, most probably OSS, & af was fine. It was under warranty as I had 3 months or so left. After I sent my lens, they sent me a refurbished lens w. 3 months warranty. Most probably cheaper to do that then trying to fix it as the lens used/refurb is around $200. RX1 lens is more hefty, even then the Sony Zeiss 24/55mm 1.8 lenses.

I had the same problem but mine was after F16. Sent it into service and they gave me a new lens with the a new cap as well. After that I bought an additional two year warranty from Sony as I love this camera and what how it takes pics.

Good to hear you have been happy with the camera since getting it serviced! I will have to check in with them on whether I can buy an extended warranty.

It looks like one of my parts is on backorder with no ETA. Good timing for a repair... we are in that early spring transition time here with not a lot of green.

Back