Micro 4/3 The moon with a £5 lens

One of the things that attracted me to MILC's (and in particular the E-M10 due to IBIS) is the amount of cheap legacy glass out there. Sure most of it is not as sharp as modern system specific glass but then a lot of it can be had for next to nothing.

I fancied a 35mm film SLR and found one I liked on ebay. The description was a little vague about the lenses (other than the standard one that came with the body) it came with describing one as a 50mm and one as a 58mm. The price was what I would h\ve paid for the camera alone without any extras so was happy to take the punt.

So, the camera arrived and the 58mm lens turned out to be a 70-300mm Miranda. OK not a stella lens in the history of picture making but I have assigned a nominal £5 cost to it so can't complain.

In order to test it on the E-M10 I though a classic 'moon shot' was in order - nice sky last night so gave it a go.

And the result?

5E52DF577D3A407A972D74280DEE14C5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OK, not the best moon I have ever seen but a) I was just playing, b) the lens is a push me-pull me zoom so it kept sinking back in and c) my astro-photography skills are lacking so over all pretty happy.

RAW file processed in whatever Olympus' god awful software is called converted to TIFF and in to LR and the PS + Silver Efex 2...

@RB - excellent news. Will update accordingly. I think OPV has managed to achieve what I previously thought impossible by being at least 4 times less usable than SPP!

Back