Fuji X100/100s tele-converter

macjim

Regular
Fuji has announced a new tele-converter for the X100/100s adding the 28 mm wide angle. Giving a useful 50 mm equivalent conversion, see this article for more information (Fujifilm TCL-X100 | Photography Blog) prices to be announced nearer the May launch date.
I would be very happy to buy one as it will be much more useful to me as I'm more of a 50 mm man, even though I'm getting used to the 35 mm of the built in lens. One of these converters and the X100s would make an ideal day camera for those days when I want to travel light and leave behind, my X-Pro 1 and the prime lenses.

have used/loved x100 since the beginning. didnt 'get' the 28 in any sense of the word; equally dont 'get' the 50. the FL differences between 35 and each just dont add up. while some guys going in his bag to find then screw one of these on, ill be taking two steps back or one forward, clipping off three shots and then be off to lunch with my wife! how much more would i love a 75-90mm X101!

I "get" it. Now that I have the X-T1 I won't actually get it, but I understand. There are rooms I walk into where everyone is either spread farther apart than a 35 is ideal for, or the room is too tight and I wish I had something wider like a 28. So for certain setups where I'm going to be in one place shooting for awhile, and wider or longer than 35 works better, I'd throw on one of these converters. You're also going to get the flatter perspective with the 50, as you know. And honestly, part of the appeal for some buyers is simply to have "some other option" on what was otherwise a fixed lens camera. Make sense? I was actually pondering just these 2 converters instead of the X-T1, just because of the cost difference.

I'm with Tony on this. And it is largely a personal preference thing I'm sure. Not opening my wallet on this one, but if a 90 was somehow possible I would be on the preorder list.

As has been discussed on FujiXSpot regarding the teleconverter - you either 'get it' or you don't - its not for everyone and I agree with Kyle that if you've got an ILC it may not make sense, but the fact that the FL of the X100/X100S can be changed while maintaining the aperture as well as the advantages of the leaf shutter for flash is enough of an advantage to make these adapter lenses interesting to many. I for one think its pretty nice of Fujifilm to offer this.

On one hand, I like the idea of being able to change focal lengths on the X100/s. 50mm is a focal length distinct from 35; at least, when I shoot a 35 and a 50 on a full frame camera, it definitely is. On the other hand I like the convenience of the 47mm crop mode in the Ricoh GR, so taking a standard photo with the X100 and cropping in post isn't out of the question, either.

Back