Canon I just sent the G1X MkII back -- here's why

Is there a touch to focus option on G1XMk2? Maybe you touched the edge of the screen with your thumb?
:laugh1: Good call
….that would have been the exact focus area that my generous schnoz would have inadvertently selected for me if the touch-screen were enabled - proved an issue with my EP-3 many moons ago. Though maybe Jock's not so Europeanly endowed in the nasal department….

Jock, can you see in the EXIF data of the image what focus mode the camera was set to?

Not sure if there's going to be any clue in the EXIF metadata, but if there was something like "focus mode - manual" or "macro" that could explain it?

I looked at the "properties" data with 3 different programs and saw nothing that sheds any light.

Cheers, Jock

I looked at the "properties" data with 3 different programs and saw nothing that sheds any light.

Cheers, Jock

Hmmm, I did a quick google and it looks like Canon doesn't put that data into the regular exif data.
Most of the meta data is apparently tucked away in proprietary Canon maker notes (which not all software reads out)...

Ah well :)

I'm not ready to condemn this camera either, but I'm also far from ready to plunk down my money for it. For the price it needs to be closer to great than good.

Hmmm, I did a quick google and it looks like Canon doesn't put that data into the regular exif data.
Most of the meta data is apparently tucked away in proprietary Canon maker notes (which not all software reads out)...

Ah well :)

Tilman,

I looked at the file with Canon Photo Professional, and here is all the shooting information it reveals:

File Name G1X snow 001.JPG
Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II
Shooting Date/Time 4/15/2014 5:59:59 PM
Shooting Mode Program AE
My Colors Mode Vivid
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/60
Av (Aperture Value) 2.0
Light Metering Evaluative
Exposure Compensation -1/3
ISO Speed 400(Auto)
Lens 12.5 - 62.5mm
Focal Length 12.5mm
Digital Zoom None
Image Size 4352x2904
Image Quality Fine
Flash Off
White Balance Auto
White balance compensation 0, 0
AF Mode Continuous AF
AF Range Mode Macro
Parameters Contrast Normal
Sharpness Normal
Saturation Normal
Color Space sRGB
File Size 3315KB
Drive Mode Single-frame shooting
Owner's Name
Comment

WHOA -- as I look, it says "AF Range Mode Macro" -- so it looks like it was my bad. Well, at least the mystery is solved. It still remains a mystery why macro was activated when I had just turned the camera on. Nevertheless: operator error. Mea culpa.

Cheers, (redfaced) Jock

Back