Sony Trade my m4/3 stuff for an RX100 II?

Ray makes some extremely good points in his post above. Despite my own allegiance to the RX100, it's very obvious that some people just don't get on with its ergonomics - mainly due to its small size.

I've never handled a GM1, but from the pictures I've seen, I don't imagine that it would be much different to an RX100, ergonomically.

It's not so much the "compact" being the issue. It's much more of a handling thing, so the GM1 would be ruled out for me.

Yup, same with the RX100, despite the sweet sensor but then I've been called a dinosaur more than once. When it comes to handling nothing beats the X10 for me (or an OM1/2 back in the day, not to forget Leicas).

The GM1 turned out to be clumsy, cumbersome and slow for me and was sold quickly. Turning it on and off requires both hands and is a three step process. But the worst was my constant struggles with accidentally changing the camera`s settings because of that flimsy control wheel and hyper sensitive touch screen with the camera mis-set most of the time when I wanted to use it.
IQ is great for such a tiny package and the kit zoom is quite nice. I particularly liked the results I got with the fast 20mm pancake. But unlike the RX100 it`s not a shirt pocket size camera. Maybe the next generation with a hotshoe and optional EVF and improved user interface could be it.

If you would rule out the GM1 due to handling issues, I'd make sure you take a good long hard look at the RX100 before buying IT too. Some people love it, as you've seen. I personally found it to be an amazingly capable little camera with handling that I hated - never got used to it, learned to like it, adapted to it, etc.. We still have it in the family - I gave it to my wife who uses cameras very differently than I do - and every time I pick it up I'm reminded of how much I didn't bond with it, basically because of handling / interface issues. Many of which stem from it being so small... If you've used one a lot and KNOW you like it, that's another thing. But if you're just assuming you'd like the RX100 but are pretty sure you don't like the GM1, I'd take a second look at your assumptions.

The RX100 / RX10 sensor is good enough as an ONLY for a lot of folks or as a second / backup for others. But I'd think twice about dumping m43 for it. The newer m43 sensors are just better and to the extent it's a close call, the faster lenses put the nail in that coffin. Comparing the RX100 to most of the m43 kit zooms, though, is a pretty tough call and the RX100 becomes a lot more compelling. But compared to the faster m43 lenses, not all that close a call IMHO...

-Ray

Well it won't be my ONLY by a long shot, Nikon D800/D600 are currently in my pro bag. And my m4/3 is not one of the newer ones, it was release 2011/2012. But what I mean by handling is either button or quick access to the functions I want/use. With the GX1 I access things by buttons, or the quick menu, or by the touch screen, or can I not get to that function from this button while in that mode so I need to change that from this menu before I go back the than control button........ But what I see from the reviews and manual (yes I actually read at least parts of the manual) is that I can assign all the functions I would regularly need to one of the 7 options under the function button. I need to take a closer look at the functionality of it but it seen to be like the "MyMenu" section of the Nikon DSLR menus.

Actually heading off the an ACTUAL store that has several of the options to look at today.
Sony RX100 MII
Olympus E-P5 / E-M10
Fuji X-M1 / X-A1 / X-E1 (X-E2 is out out of the range)

Considering the E-A1 since I don't have an X-Tran to match a work flow with they are so close.

I haven't tried the little Panny, because for me having something with such a small body with a protruding lens makes little sense. It's like you get most of the negatives that come with a small camera but a limited amount of the positives. At least with the RX100 you can pocket it. You get the good with the bad.

As far as handling/ergonomics with the RX100 it is what it is to some degree. At that size you can't have an array of direct access dials. But I don't feel limited by it. It is not my "serious" camera, more casual snapshooty type stuff, so maybe that is why it is easier to accept the occasional menu dive. The only thing for me that it fails on is the lack of a grip. But that is easily solved with a Sony option or Richard Franiec or flip-bac, depending on what you like and how much you want to pay.

And I'm actually not a fan of touch screens to tell you the true.

Well, before owning a camera with a touch screen I was not a fan of touch screens, either. However, I suspect, that it is easier to touch a touch screen accidentally, the smaller a camera gets. I am quite sure, that the handling of my E-M5 is much better regarding touch screens than that of such a small camera.

I haven't tried the little Panny, because for me having something with such a small body with a protruding lens makes little sense. It's like you get most of the negatives that come with a small camera but a limited amount of the positives. At least with the RX100 you can pocket it. You get the good with the bad.

In my opinion, the GM1 is a camera which fits to pancake lenses best. I would not use it with other lenses.

Well, before owning a camera with a touch screen I was not a fan of touch screens, either. However, I suspect, that it is easier to touch a touch screen accidentally, the smaller a camera gets. I am quite sure, that the handling of my E-M5 is much better regarding touch screens than that of such a small camera.

In my opinion, the GM1 is a camera which fits to pancake lenses best. I would not use it with other lenses.

With the GX1 I don't find that I'm accidently hitting the screen it`s more like when do I go to the screen versus the buttons versus.... Having had the E-PM1 I can image a touch with the super control panel would probably work well. It just don't seem so for me on the Panasonic.

Well after the trip to the store i think it's down to the Sony RX100 II and the Fuji X-M1. I really like the easy thumb access to the dual control dials. And I could see that paired with something like the X-T1 post pro days. The X-E1/2 were nice but either would end up being replaced instead of complementing a higher end body. I also liked the tilt screen.

Only bad thing is it turns out they did not have the E-P5 to compare. :(

I can see the issues with the Sony. I think part of it might come down to wanting to or needing to use both hands to use the lens ring and control dial. And for that the body is SMALL. I think it's probably going to come down to:

A small body with great for its size image quality and the ability to shoot with full control if i want.

versus

Starting another system planning for what might be the future. I wish the lens options were a little further along with more third party support. But the road map I've seen looks like it could be full enough in the next year or so.

davidzvi said:
On 2 resent trips I really haven't needed much more than just the body and 14mm prime. Yes I've looked at the Fuji 100s, not sure I do just the prime.

Then have you looked at the Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A

davidzvi said:
On 2 resent trips I really haven't needed much more than just the body and 14mm prime. Yes I've looked at the Fuji 100s, not sure I do just the prime.

Then have you looked at the Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A

I changed my lumix g3 for rx 100 Mark II, its focal range cover most of my needs. Weight and size now gives me freedom to carry it anywhere anytime. I have also purchased an original sony filter adapter plus some filters (FADER N/D & POLARIZER). Don't need much more. Im now happier than ever. Not to mention that IQ has improved in my pics. It is waaaay better camera.

Regarding the Fuji X-M1 I personally like the form factor quite a bit, but no matter how good the IQ is with the XF 18-55 or the cheaper XC standard zoom, for an allday carry-everywhere compact camera it would be too large for me. On the other hand there are the 18 and 27mm pancakes for the Fuji if that's your thing but I personally want a zoom lens on my compact. That doesn't however keep me from carrying something more serious in my daypack here and there but the last two months have shown that I rather leave my larger cameras back home. YMMV.

I use the RX100 when I need to stuff it in my pocket...other than that the Sony a6000 w/18-105PZ which does video as well as it does stills. But still for clients, flash photography, or all day shoots I stay with my Nikon FX bodies...
Great ISO, AF, stills and video options from any of these...I do have to spend a little more time doing WB correction on the RX100 than I do the other systems.

Back