Sony Trade my m4/3 stuff for an RX100 II?

davidzvi

Hall of Famer
Name
David
I'm giving serious consideration to trading all my m4/3 stuff for the new RX100 II. Am I crazy?

I have a full FX Nikon setup for work (events photographer).

I got the m4/3 stuff because I was tired of carrying my heavy gear for fun/family/etc shooting. I originally had an Olympus E-PM1 and really liked it, but found I was menu diving too much. Now I have the Panasonic GX1 and while it solved my menu dive issues I'm just not feeling it. I'm just wondering if I'm setting myself up for menu diving all over again.

I think you'll regret it. Maybe trade it for a G1X Mk II. Much less menu diving.

I looked at the GX1 MkII and I could probably just get enough from the stuff I have to pick one up. Guess I should do some more research on if they have truly fixed the AF and battery issues from the Mk I.
I looked at the Fuji x20 but if seems the Sony has better high ISO performance. The Sony seems to be about the same as my older GX1.

Have you played with an RX10?

I'm sure it's a really nice camera, but size and cost rule it out for me. If I had a few hundred extra to invest I'd probably trade the GX1 & viewfinder for E-P5 or maybe the E-M10.
On 2 resent trips I really haven't needed much more than just the body and 14mm prime. Yes I've looked at the Fuji 100s, not sure I do just the prime.

I looked at the GX1 MkII and I could probably just get enough from the stuff I have to pick one up. Guess I should do some more research on if they have truly fixed the AF and battery issues from the Mk I.

If by battery issues you mean battery life then I believe the MkII is actually worse than the MkI

If AF issues you mean AF speed then a large part of the impression of slow AF on the MkI was not because of the speed of acquisition but the delay the camera took in reporting the AF lock (both the beep and the green confirmation light). If you mashed the shutter button in one motion it was okay and AF accuracy was never an issue regardless on which method you used.

I don't know at what prices you can get a RX100 MkII at your place, but around here, its price point is not much different from that of the Panasonic GM1 plus 12-32mm kit lens. Now *that* is real competition for just about any small and light camera on the market today! Not only is the body extremely small and capable, the lens is, too. It's hands down the best kit lens I've ever used in terms of quality - and it's tiny, light *and* sturdy. And if you can afford it, you can still keep at least part of your existing m4/3 gear (lenses!) to use with that tiny powerhouse.

On the other hand, I somehow think the 12-32mm alone might more or less solve your issues! I use mine on my PM1 (that I customised to my heart's content a while ago - no menu diving for me!), and it's a very versatile, fun and light package. Sure, the GX1 is bigger than the PM1 and, of course, the GM1, but not prohibitively so, and with the tiny lens and the camera's superior handling, you'd have a fantastic combination. I'd say that's the way to get the most out of a limited budget without sacrificing existing usability and experience.

M.

If it's handling you want, the e-p5 might just be the ticket. I like my rx100 (original) a lot, and it's very capable, but it won't replace my MFT kit.

I'm giving serious consideration to trading all my m4/3 stuff for the new RX100 II. Am I crazy?

I have a full FX Nikon setup for work (events photographer).

I got the m4/3 stuff because I was tired of carrying my heavy gear for fun/family/etc shooting. I originally had an Olympus E-PM1 and really liked it, but found I was menu diving too much. Now I have the Panasonic GX1 and while it solved my menu dive issues I'm just not feeling it. I'm just wondering if I'm setting myself up for menu diving all over again.

I have the RX100 Mk1, and I also have other gear - including a full-frame Canon kit. I bought the Sony because it represented the best quality, in the smallest package, because I, too, had become tired of carrying heavy/bulky equipment. Initially, I was a little unsure as to whether I had made the right purchase, but once I had got 'tuned-into' the RX100, I became a complete convert. The FF kit sees little use these days (and might be sold soon), and I'm continually impressed by the Sony's capabilities.

Ultimately, of course, only you can make the decision. Obviously, if you can afford to get the RX100 and retain the Nikon kit for a while, you would avoid burning your bridges if the RX100 doesn't suit you. I would recommend allowing plenty of time to get accustomed to the RX100. The menu system is a little confusing at first, but once you have made your desired settings, you don't need to go into the menus very much. Two or three weeks in, I was beginning to contemplate selling it, whereas a few weeks later it 'clicked' with me, and now it's possibly the camera that I would be least likely to consider selling.

I also have the RX100 Mk1.
It's a gem of a camera with great IQ and just so handy that it goes everywhere.

At the same time I don't enjoy using it. It slips around in my hands , menus are deep and the control ring doesn't work for me.

I'd happily recommend it as the best I've known for its size but not to replace m4/3.

If by battery issues you mean battery life then I believe the MkII is actually worse than the MkI

If AF issues you mean AF speed then a large part of the impression of slow AF on the MkI was not because of the speed of acquisition but the delay the camera took in reporting the AF lock (both the beep and the green confirmation light). If you mashed the shutter button in one motion it was okay and AF accuracy was never an issue regardless on which method you used.

Yes on the battery issue, oh well. The AF issue, that's the first time I've heard it described like that. But I would probably find it bothersome.

I don't know at what prices you can get a RX100 MkII at your place, but around here, its price point is not much different from that of the Panasonic GM1 plus 12-32mm kit lens. Now *that* is real competition for just about any small and light camera on the market today! Not only is the body extremely small and capable, the lens is, too. It's hands down the best kit lens I've ever used in terms of quality - and it's tiny, light *and* sturdy. And if you can afford it, you can still keep at least part of your existing m4/3 gear (lenses!) to use with that tiny powerhouse.

On the other hand, I somehow think the 12-32mm alone might more or less solve your issues! I use mine on my PM1 (that I customised to my heart's content a while ago - no menu diving for me!), and it's a very versatile, fun and light package. Sure, the GX1 is bigger than the PM1 and, of course, the GM1, but not prohibitively so, and with the tiny lens and the camera's superior handling, you'd have a fantastic combination. I'd say that's the way to get the most out of a limited budget without sacrificing existing usability and experience.

M.

$$ ? I have a few hundred I could add to the proceeds from any sale of the stuff I have. If I were to sell all my m4/3 stuff I could probably get the RX100 II with plenty to spare for a few accessories. So yes the Fuji X100s used would probably be in the range as would an Fuji X-M1 with the kit lens and maybe the 27mm prime for something small.

I think the GM1 would be as bad as the E-PM1 I had for menu diving. And part if what I am finding I don't like with the GX1 are the menus/functions. Honestly it's the first camera I think I've used that I just can't seem to get use to and it gets in my way more than helps. It's not something I can quite put my finger on.

If it's handling you want, the e-p5 might just be the ticket. I like my rx100 (original) a lot, and it's very capable, but it won't replace my MFT kit.

I've given this a lot of thought. I could go this way if I sold the GX1, LVF2, and the 14-140 Panasonic I have. It might be the simplest option since I had the E-PM1 and am famitiar with the menus. I also really do like the dual control wheel setup, very much like my Nikon's. But then I'd probably have to get something a little longer than the 14-42 to go with the 14mm prime.

I have the RX100 Mk1, and I also have other gear - including a full-frame Canon kit. I bought the Sony because it represented the best quality, in the smallest package, because I, too, had become tired of carrying heavy/bulky equipment. Initially, I was a little unsure as to whether I had made the right purchase, but once I had got 'tuned-into' the RX100, I became a complete convert. The FF kit sees little use these days (and might be sold soon), and I'm continually impressed by the Sony's capabilities.

Ultimately, of course, only you can make the decision. Obviously, if you can afford to get the RX100 and retain the Nikon kit for a while, you would avoid burning your bridges if the RX100 doesn't suit you. I would recommend allowing plenty of time to get accustomed to the RX100. The menu system is a little confusing at first, but once you have made your desired settings, you don't need to go into the menus very much. Two or three weeks in, I was beginning to contemplate selling it, whereas a few weeks later it 'clicked' with me, and now it's possibly the camera that I would be least likely to consider selling.

My Nikons aren't going anywhere soon, not at least until I stop shooting events professionally. But I can foresee the day when it gets down to just one bag and not overflowing in a larger roller. Or maybe replace with an X-Tran or large OMD setup. The m4/3 stuff I have now is just for travel, fun, etc. It will never be more than what will fit in the Domke F-5xb I have it in now.

I also have the RX100 Mk1.
It's a gem of a camera with great IQ and just so handy that it goes everywhere.

At the same time I don't enjoy using it. It slips around in my hands , menus are deep and the control ring doesn't work for me.

I'd happily recommend it as the best I've known for its size but not to replace m4/3.

Slips? Do you have the Sony or other grip on it? What types of things are you menu diving for on a regular basis?

I guess one thing that might help is a quick link.
Here is the a gallery of images from the first vacation I took after getting the m4/3 (all Pen Mini):
Vacation 2012

And here is just a collection of images I have taken over the past year or so:
Ramdon m43 stuff

I don't shoot events or anything professionally, first got rid of dslr, L lens cos I was fed up lugging heavy stuff around and moved down to m4/3, got the GF1 when it first came out, added another couple of lenses to that incl' the 100-300 when that appeared, great kit but I was slowly getting another bagful of gear. The RX100 came out and after reading all the rave reviews on it I was convinced it was what I needed, fitted in shirt pocket or trouser pocket and I could take it anywhere, photo quality is as good as some dslr's even on auto settings. A lot of dslr auto settings will not give as good quality . It has served me well at indoor functions as well as outdoor. I bought Richard Franiec grip >>Richard Franiec's Camera Accessories which improves the grip also it is smart looking and not too chunky.

Do I regret selling my other gear...not in the least. I like to travel light these days and this is the best buy yet for me. Mine is the Mk1 which suits me fine.

Seems to be getting more common these days more people downsizing to lighter gear. Must be the advances of camera technology getting smaller and better quality. Wonder how long it will be before they invent a tiny camera to fit in your shirt pocket with the same specs and quality as Canon 1D and top of the range L lens or similar brand, not in my lifetime :)

I don't shoot events or anything professionally, first got rid of dslr, L lens cos I was fed up lugging heavy stuff around and moved down to m4/3, got the GF1 when it first came out, added another couple of lenses to that incl' the 100-300 when that appeared, great kit but I was slowly getting another bagful of gear. The RX100 came out and after reading all the rave reviews on it I was convinced it was what I needed, fitted in shirt pocket or trouser pocket and I could take it anywhere, photo quality is as good as some dslr's even on auto settings. A lot of dslr auto settings will not give as good quality . It has served me well at indoor functions as well as outdoor. I bought Richard Franiec grip >>Richard Franiec's Camera Accessories which improves the grip also it is smart looking and not too chunky.

Do I regret selling my other gear...not in the least. I like to travel light these days and this is the best buy yet for me. Mine is the Mk1 which suits me fine.

I wholeheartedly agree about the Franiec grip. It's a splendid little thing and has transformed the RX100 for me. I can now actually use it out and about without having to worry about dropping £400 worth of kit.

I am always surprised by the amount of detail the RX100 displays and the generally spot-on metering. Having said that, for close-up work I find I am now favouring my V1 with the 18.5mm lens, and my Pentax K-r is getting some use too. So for me one camera can never do it all, although the new Nikon P8000 looks interesting from the rumours :)

How about a Ricoh GR?
It would seem by the image links that you posted that you wouldn't be uncomfortable with a 28mm equivalent fixed.
Small, very customizable, and comfortable in hand.
With beautiful, sharp, malleable files.

..... although the new Nikon P8000 looks interesting from the rumours :).....

Yes it does. As does the RX200.

How about a Ricoh GR?
It would seem by the image links that you posted that you wouldn't be uncomfortable with a 28mm equivalent fixed.
Small, very customizable, and comfortable in hand.
With beautiful, sharp, malleable files.

While I might be able to deal with the fixed lens I think I would be better suited to a least some zoom.

I still like using my Canon PowerShot G12 a lot and therefore appreciate compact cameras. However, everytime I use my Olympus E-M5 or my Olympus E-P1, I just know I'd hate being without these great cameras. Although buying the RX100 makes sense, I would never trade my µ4/3 stuff for it. Your mileage may vary, but I assume you might regret an exchange.

BTW, since Panasonic introduced the tiny GM1, I would always think twice before buying any compact camera anyway.

I still like using my Canon PowerShot G12 a lot and therefore appreciate compact cameras. However, everytime I use my Olympus E-M5 or my Olympus E-P1, I just know I'd hate being without these great cameras. Although buying the RX100 makes sense, I would never trade my µ4/3 stuff for it. Your mileage may vary, but I assume you might regret an exchange.

BTW, since Panasonic introduced the tiny GM1, I would always think twice before buying any compact camera anyway.

It's not so much the "compact" being the issue. It's much more of a handling thing, so the GM1 would be ruled out for me.

It's not so much the "compact" being the issue. It's much more of a handling thing, so the GM1 would be ruled out for me.

If you would rule out the GM1 due to handling issues, I'd make sure you take a good long hard look at the RX100 before buying IT too. Some people love it, as you've seen. I personally found it to be an amazingly capable little camera with handling that I hated - never got used to it, learned to like it, adapted to it, etc.. We still have it in the family - I gave it to my wife who uses cameras very differently than I do - and every time I pick it up I'm reminded of how much I didn't bond with it, basically because of handling / interface issues. Many of which stem from it being so small... If you've used one a lot and KNOW you like it, that's another thing. But if you're just assuming you'd like the RX100 but are pretty sure you don't like the GM1, I'd take a second look at your assumptions.

The RX100 / RX10 sensor is good enough as an ONLY for a lot of folks or as a second / backup for others. But I'd think twice about dumping m43 for it. The newer m43 sensors are just better and to the extent it's a close call, the faster lenses put the nail in that coffin. Comparing the RX100 to most of the m43 kit zooms, though, is a pretty tough call and the RX100 becomes a lot more compelling. But compared to the faster m43 lenses, not all that close a call IMHO...

-Ray

Back