So disappointed :frown:

cheeks69

Top Veteran
Name
Robert
Just when I was getting used to the Olympus OMD EM5 I was forced to send it back. The dispute involved an overpriced Memory card {$199.00} that they said I needed for the video in particular to work properly and although I sensed it was BS non-the-less I agreed to buy it. After I hung up the phone I immediately went to the Olympus website to see if they recommended this type of card and they did not so I called the seller back and told him to remove the card from my order, he said it was to late the order had shipped, really in 20 min. ??? Anyway I tried to resolve this with civility but it turned out to be a 3 week ordeal so I became so frustrated I ended up contacting Paypal and long story short they ruled in my favor but forced me to send the whole order back:mad: Sorry for the vent but I'm just totally disgusted that it had to come to this and now I have no camera.

Well, I don't think we have any rules about sharing negative experiences with specifics about businesses. Plenty of people have complained about Amazon from time to time, while others have extolled their business virtues.

I remember in ye olden days there were certain camera stores in NYC, well known ones, that just had bad reputations...and I would still feel uncomfortable ordering from them now, though there reps may well have improved. In the last years...maybe 8 or so, I've only used B&H, Adorama and Amazon. I tend to prefer B&H due to their return policies, etc. - as in the expect people to try their cameras.

Not sure if it was a side effect of mentioning this company's name in this thread... but when I went back to the seriouscompacts.com main page (after reading this thread) I promptly got a banner ad for 42 photo...

Could of course be pure coincidence and I just never paid attention to their ads before :tongue:

Not sure if it was a side effect of mentioning this company's name in this thread... but when I went back to the seriouscompacts.com main page (after reading this thread) I promptly got a banner ad for 42 photo...

Could of course be pure coincidence and I just never paid attention to their ads before :tongue:

lol
I didn't know they were a sponsor BB so if it's inappropriate I'll delete their name, let me know.

Sounds like some shady shenanigans. I like to assume the best about people....maybe they truly did have it shipped already, but surely they would have preferred to accept a return for the overpriced memory card than to lose the whole sale.

Sometimes, people bite off their nose to spite their face. I think you did the right thing. They don't deserve your business.

Initially he told me that I could just return the memory card which I did the very next day then when it arrives at the store they refuse it and when I call to find out why they tell me I need a return authorization which he failed to mention when I spoke to him :mad: . Then the box floats around USPS for two weeks for some unknown reason, I don't know, the whole experience was just so frustrating it just wore me out !

This story sounded bad to start and just got worse! My sympathies, and I just don't expect this kind of experience except for those deals that are just "too good to be true". You can look up reviews of different sellers, and when you read enough you can get a pretty good picture (no pun intended) of what their positive and negative points are.

I usually go on a hunt (read: buying) knowing full well what I want so whenever I smell even a whiff of any kind of upselling my alarm bells go off. If they go on doing it after telling them firmly I only want what I want then they've already lost my business.

Hope you get another cam soon, this time hassle-free. :)

Sent from my iPhone

They've always had slightly good prices but try to suck people into unnecessary stuff with every sale. The best revenge is to buy from them if they've got what you want at the right price, but NEVER let them talk you into a single accessory. That's where they make their money.

Or just avoid them altogether, which is the easier approach.

They're also pretty shakey about really letting you know if something is actually in stock, especially for hard to find stuff that their site seems to show as in-stock, but may or may not be actually.

-Ray

Sorry to hear about this. Having been a sales director, the best advice I can give is to ALWAYS reject any attempt at upsell. As Ray says it is where the margin is made - and usually the salesman's comp... It is invariably going to cost you more than if you shop around. Just say no, and walk away...

I did look thru their reviews at bizrate and generally it was positive, anyway lesson learned. I will buy instead from B&H photo since most of the deals on Amazon are grey market, for the OMD anyway. Now I just have to wait patiently for the credit to post first before I buy it. Anyway thanks all for listening and the encouragement.:)

Man, that sucks. I've never ordered from the abovementioned store as I tend to support my local shops when I can. But if I have to order from overseas, I go with B&H because their prices are good, online ordering is easy, and there is good communication to let you know when something is being shipped.

Back