Getting a bit fed up with interchangeable lens cameras

More interesting thoughts... I'm about to head out, its 4.50am... I thought I would take the Pentax today, I'm going to be needing manual focus for what I want to do, its too dark for auto so the Nikon1 gear is out... but here I am already mizzling over whether I really want to, and am glancing at the x100 and XZ-1 combo that I often take, instead. Better make up my mind soon or the choices will be made for me.

funny thing about fixed length cams, zooms etc, is i think, where tech is now, i can use my favorite FL, 35mm, and crop to at least 70 even 90. with the rx1, and to a slightly lesser degree with my x100, i have so much headroom i literally think of them as zooms.. the rx1 even allows me to 'zoom' in to 70mm if im shooting jpegs, and i get a rf type view. pix still come out damned sharp; i dont feel i lose anything in the IQ dept. do folks feel cropping is cheating? to me, its just another PP tool, and it eases my GAS a lot!

having said that, i just today received an rd1 in the mail, on which i plan to glue my old summarit 50/1.5 for an 80mm companion to my rx1!

funny thing about fixed length cams, zooms etc, is i think, where tech is now, i can use my favorite FL, 35mm, and crop to at least 70 even 90. with the rx1, and to a slightly lesser degree with my x100, i have so much headroom i literally think of them as zooms.. the rx1 even allows me to 'zoom' in to 70mm if im shooting jpegs, and i get a rf type view. pix still come out damned sharp; i dont feel i lose anything in the IQ dept. do folks feel cropping is cheating? to me, its just another PP tool, and it eases my GAS a lot!

having said that, i just today received an rd1 in the mail, on which i plan to glue my old summarit 50/1.5 for an 80mm companion to my rx1!

That's what the 41 megapickle Nokia pocket computer does, so you're in good company.

In the end, I took a compromise... the Pentax with a few lenses (but only used the 35mm) and the XZ-1. Pentax:25. XZ-1: 42. Maybe if I had the zoom on the pentax I might have shot more, but probably not. I liked the lightweight XZ with a bit of zoom. The thing is, by the time I finished futzing about and deciding what to take, it was starting to get light, so the reasons for taking the K5, and not taking Nikon1, were all just fluff. Arghhhh!

Like some, I also have the FZ200 with the 24-600 equiv, and it's super light. My main lens on the GF3 is the 20/1.7 instead of the pancake 14-42.
These are the cameras I most regularly take out for just day to day stuff, and the iPhone :)

But when I'm birding, it's the 7D + 150-600. For weddings it the f2.8 zooms, then the 5Dm2 with primes once it's dark.

So it's really a bit of everything. I bring at least a half dozen cameras plus lenses on long trips.

In the end, I took a compromise... the Pentax with a few lenses (but only used the 35mm) and the XZ-1. Pentax:25. XZ-1: 42. Maybe if I had the zoom on the pentax I might have shot more, but probably not. I liked the lightweight XZ with a bit of zoom. The thing is, by the time I finished futzing about and deciding what to take, it was starting to get light, so the reasons for taking the K5, and not taking Nikon1, were all just fluff. Arghhhh!

Oh I hate gear indecision too! My wife is often at the door, patiently waiting while I fret at my choices!

I did an analysis of my shots since I became interested in photography. The bulk, 90+ percent, were taken from a 35mm equivalent of 28 - 85 and though I had fast glass, most were no less than 5.6 aperture.

I realized that a Leica X-Vario would be a good camera in some ways for me. I'm still tempted. I especially like leaf shutters.

One thing I'm avoiding is having more than 1 ILC system. So now, it's APS-C and that means I'd only buy a m4/3 if it was with a fixed lens. The G1X is an option as are other fixed lens cameras. I refuse to start building out two sensor sizes of redundant focal lengths. One "system" is enough. The small carry everywhere shall be fun and one and done as far as lenses are concerned.

...Life would be so much simpler if I had a 'perfect camera' to just pick up and go but that does not exist...

I agree, though a perfect camera is not necessary for me, just one that is good enough. I was hoping that the Canon G1Xmk2 might be that camera, but my enthusiasm has waned with the mixed bag of reviews I am seeing. But it does give me hope for what the future may hold. We will see. In the meantime I am not shelling out cash for anything new.

I agree, though a perfect camera is not necessary for me, just one that is good enough. I was hoping that the Canon G1Xmk2 might be that camera, but my enthusiasm has waned with the mixed bag of reviews I am seeing. But it does give me hope for what the future may hold. We will see. In the meantime I am not shelling out cash for anything new.

Totally agree. Just one camera that's good enough is enough :)
Too many options leads to paralysis of choice. Just as the hunt for "perfection" usually leads to less enjoyment (and even doing less, since we already "know" it's not going to be "perfect"anyway).

Just pick one camera that covers your photographic subjects and stick to it, is what works best for me.

I still get the occasional itch for a new camera, but I've set myself the limitation: Not going to buy a new camera before I haven't improved my skills to the level that my EM-5 is the limiting factor (instead of me being the limit :)

:tiphat:

Back