Micro 4/3 My E-M10 / PanaLeica 25mm / Oly 45mm UNBOXING and initial thoughts

IVN

Veteran
Hi fellow photographers!

I've received the above setup several days ago but haven't had time to try it out due to holidays. Yesterday I finally found the time to do the unboxing videos.

[video=youtube;yvxaIDWRKi8]

[video=youtube;GbZ7GZEZdVU]

[video=youtube;qeOAewylXXA]

I will do a E-M10 vs V1 AF comparison video as soon as I have time. What I can say for now is that the E-M10 is considerably faster in low light, but live view is a bit jerky (IBIS?) and less sharp (both EVF and LCD) and not as realistic as on the V1. I've tried many picture settings, but I can't get the LV to look "true to life" like on the V1.

P.S. I'm aware that the videos are all too dark. These are my first unboxing videos, so please bear with me.

P.P.S. Is the mount on your E-M10 also very "tight"? Considerable force is needed to screw a lens on my E-M10, regardless whether it's the 25/1.4 or 45/1.8.

Nice pair of lenses!

Yes, the Micro 4/3 mount is known for being a tighter fit than most with some of the Olympus Lenses like the 45mm.

EDIT: Just watched your 25mm video. The lens mounting does seem a lot tighter than I get with my 25mm, but I have the E-M5 and E-P5, not the E-M10.

I believe there were a few threads on DP Review with E-M10 owners complaining about excessively tight mounts, one of which resulted in a broken lens if I recall correctly.

OK, thanks guys for the feedback. Looks like it's becoming less tight as I swap lenses more and more.

I got the EM10 yesterday to replace my G3 and it will be used mainly with the Lumix 100-300mm lens at airshows.
It's a delightful camera to hold and I love the kit lens ; the whole thing is so neat.

Four things have surprised me so far:
1. The body gets warm very quickly
2. The IS in camera doesn't quite match the 100-300mm lens stabiliser
3. With the kit lens IQ doesn't match the tiny Sony RX100 at base ISO
4. Noise is higher than expected but I love the ability to control its settings.

No problem at all fitting 5 Lumix lenses and the little 1.7 20mm prime works a treat.
Very nice pocketable camera but I'm not a m4/3 fan anymore.

I got the EM10 yesterday to replace my G3 and it will be used mainly with the Lumix 100-300mm lens at airshows.
It's a delightful camera to hold and I love the kit lens ; the whole thing is so neat.

Four things have surprised me so far:
1. The body gets warm very quickly
2. The IS in camera doesn't quite match the 100-300mm lens stabiliser
3. With the kit lens IQ doesn't match the tiny Sony RX100 at base ISO
4. Noise is higher than expected but I love the ability to control its settings.

No problem at all fitting 5 Lumix lenses and the little 1.7 20mm prime works a treat.
Very nice pocketable camera but I'm not a m4/3 fan anymore.
1) Yes, you are right. The IBIS seems to be the reason for high heat dissipation. It's also quite audible.
2) Can't comment on IBIS vs Telephoto IS (which are among the most efficient ones), but the IBIS is doing an awesome job with the Pana 25/1.4 and Oly 45/1.8
3) RX100's lens is quite fast, so that the camera can use much lower ISOs. Besides, the E-M10 being an ILC is not at it's best when used in combination with slow kit lenses. Use the advantage that the ability to change lenses gives you. With the 25/1.4 on, the RX100 can go packing (under any kind of light). Still, the mFT sensor is not large enough to warrant 200 base ISO. IMO this is too much. Base/native ISO should be 100 to allow for even less noise when the light is sufficient.
4) The mFT format is not that much larger. The advantage should be 2/3 to 1 stop, probably the former in comparison to Sony's excellent 1" sensor. Still, when you mount a f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens on, the overall advantage is huge. When I compare my V1 + 18.5/1.8 with the E-M10 + 25/1.4 it's almost a 2 stops difference in low light. Add IBIS to that (V1 has no IBIS and N1 primes have no IS) and we are talking about a serious improvement in low light performance.

I read what I'd posted earlier in the first flush of enthusiasm and feel kind of embarrassed.

Almost one month has passed since getting my E-M10 and my enthusiasm for it has been tempered by some very indifferent images.
The doubtful optical quality of the EZ lens was quickly apparent but the fact that none of my lenses behaved quite as expected led me to think that there was a problem with the body and I changed it for copy number 2.

Yesterday a firmware update came out dealing with shutter shock. My previous attempts to demonstrate shutter shock had failed so it seemed odd that we got the update before a camera with a known problem - the M5.
To my surprise the image quality improves when setting the shutter delay to 0 but at the cost of allowing single frame shooting only.
My 14-45 lens now produces very crisp images and even the 14-42 EZ lens is passable.

IQ now compares with my Sony RX100 with which it shares the distinction of having some of the most obtuse menus ever devised.
I find it an exasperating camera to use with buttons and dials being moved inappropriately but it works a treat with my 100-300 lens using OIS ( as below) and I'll keep it for that.

14046251119_38863db4f8_b.jpg

We're back in the States in two weeks and for the first time ever a new camera may not be going with me.

Back