Film 5x4 anyone ?

With 5x4 all you need is a fairly decent scanner to enjoy the results. Shame they won't ship internationally at the start. I hope they get a UK distributor.

LouisB

Wanderlust are a good mob - they were the ones who produced the micro4/3 "Pinwide" pinhole. I wonder if the price of suitable lenses is going to go up as a result of their initiative ?

No, but I know someone who does.
My wife worked in a professional d&p lab so she printed for me.
I primarily shot E6 then.
Wait . I've just checked film and processing charges !!!!!
Think I will give it a miss

Ooh I'd love to have access to a 5x4 enlarger, you lucky bugger.

Yes, you'll pay rather dearly for E6 sheet film, and processing charges are indeed high, but there are so few E6 labs now that will handle sheet film, and the volumes are so low, it becomes labour intensive and thus expensive to do.

For a bit less than £100, though, (he says glibly), you can equip yourself with the gear and chemicals to do E6 (and C41) at home. But then the question arises what you do with the developed film: a 5x4 projector will be hard to find and fantastically expensive and large.

Ilfochrome and Cibachrome are dead processes with only a few enthusiasts using up their frozen stocks of paper and chemicals, so you can't print your slides unless you digitise them, and then you'll need drum (expensive) scans to bring out the best.

Pro-lab wet printing LF C41 also rather expensive, so hybrid route again with all it's attendant shortcomings.

Best bet though is black and white. 5x4 isn't entirely pocket-unfriendly if you use something like Foma film and develop & print yourself.

I feel seriously tempted too but then I still have a wonderful 6x9 Texas Leica in a box somewhere that I haven't used for more than 12 or so years. Ah well ...

Back