Leica I was given a Leica T...questions?

Chrisnmn

Veteran
Name
Chris Leskovsek
Hey guys,

I though I'd write short, just to tell you that I got given a Leica T this afternoon to play for the next few weeks. Im not going to write a review or anything as I dont do those sort of stuff, but rather I would ask you guys if anyone is interested or considering of the some special features or how it works or something and Ill give you my impressions?

*** I can't embed the photo of the camera from Instagram here, so heres a link Login • Instagram

• So far, this thing is perfection built from the P to the N. no screws. solid piece of cold metal. It definitely look like the macbook pro of the camera world.
  • Theres absolutely nothing analog about it. This, is in fact a 120%, digital camera. This pretends to be "modern" or "futuristic" not "classic" or "vintage".
  • Shutter sound, is absolutely quiet, soft, and has a beautiful-harmonic "click". The absolute opposite to Sony's A7. Love it.
  • Everything is "touch" and everything is customisable.
  • UI is "easy", clear and simple
  • the VF looks like a better version of the OMD EM5 but not brighter than the Olympus VF4, still refreshing rate is great, and very clear. Is feels like the Sony NEX6 or A6000 type of viewfinder.
  • No buttons on the back. huge LCD screen.
  • The internal memory of 16gb I think is a great feature.
  • AF feels as fast as the Ricoh GR or Sony A7, which is not slow, but not fast as the OMD series. Which is absolutely fine.

This are my very very first impressions of the camera, sorry if im of not much help still, but hopefully will have time to shoot it properly and post some results during the week.

100% digital. Settings are only known once its switched on and a look at a TV (lcd or EVF) reveals what`s going on. Until the decisive moment is gone...........:( But it`s sleek with its Samsung Galaxy interface and Mac unibody.

100% digital. Settings are only known once its switched on and a look at a TV (lcd or EVF) reveals what`s going on. .

Just the same as dslr's. Nikon df excluded.
People just take it for granted . Those who don't can buy Leica m or Fuji . My Sigma's are set up to start with known settings ready to shoot. The new Leica T won't be any different.

Good for you - I'm really interested in seeing your photos, Chris - as well as reading about your experiences shooting with the camera. I've been spending a great deal of my procrastinating time reading about this camera.

Let's make this thread about your experiences, Chris - and your photos.:drinks:

P.S. Yes, which lenses? Both I hope!

Yes, the shutter feel is to die for! I had apprehensions though that were confirmed when I handled one yesterday. While this may not be true for all users and, I'm sure practice makes perfect, my thumb lands on the touch screen and activates the upper right icon when gripping the camera. What is your experience with this?

100% digital. Settings are only known once its switched on and a look at a TV (lcd or EVF) reveals what`s going on. Until the decisive moment is gone...........:( But it`s sleek with its Samsung Galaxy interface and Mac unibody.

Arent 90% of modern cameras the way you describe it?. Only Leica M's and Fuji X's are the only ones that dont. Theres a 'My settings' into this camera as well, and after you set it up, you will probably dont need to go into the menu anymore.

Ok guys, thanks for your encouraging words, as it seems the first question is what lenses I got, and post a lot of photos, I know I can answer the first question for no though.

I got the T with the 24mm summicron attached to it (the Leica representative knew that I wanted that combo, no wonder :tongue:)

Then they gave me a bag with the Zoom lens, the Viewfinder and the M adaptor to try my M lens on it.

Also he showed me some really fancy, really hipster looking color skins snap ons for the camera with sticky grip (the camera lacks of some sticky grip), plus a holder/strap for the camera that is more like a half case holder, but made of aluminium and rubber as well.

The rubber strap that comes with the camera is actually really sticky, it wont drop from your shoulder, and it might take a hair or two from your wrist if you wrap it around like a wrist-strap. haha

Yes, the shutter feel is to die for! I had apprehensions though that were confirmed when I handled one yesterday. While this may not be true for all users and, I'm sure practice makes perfect, my thumb lands on the touch screen and activates the upper right icon when gripping the camera. What is your experience with this?

I had you same doubt when I first grabbed the camera, I shot some frames inside my house, and to be honest, no, the LCD mutes itself when for example you are shooting with the VF so no, I havent accidentally changed any settings, yet!.

And yes, the shutter it has an amazing sound. quiet, classy, solid, not shaky. Probably my favorite shutter sound so far.

I think you may have meant to write the Summicron-T 23mm f/2? Or is this not a T lens that they attached to it when they gave it to you?

Looking forward to your photos and more, Chris.

I think you may have meant to write the Summicron-T 23mm f/2? Or is this not a T lens that they attached to it when they gave it to you?

Looking forward to your photos and more, Chris.

Thats correct i meant the Summicron-T ASPH 23mm f/2.

Also on this, the Leica person told me is not Panasonic made, and that actually he didnt knew who the manufacturer was other that it was built in Japan under 'strict rules' from Germany.

Thats correct i meant the Summicron-T ASPH 23mm f/2.

Also on this, the Leica person told me is not Panasonic made, and that actually he didnt knew who the manufacturer was other that it was built in Japan under 'strict rules' from Germany.
I don't know, that lens - including the fonts all round - look identical to those of the Panasonic-Leica lenses e.g., 25/1.4 and 45/2.8 Macro. So maybe, just maybe, a Panasonic model might emerge….for a fraction of the price.

Images from the T Chris, we need images! :tup:

In the video Steve Huff made on the T, he mentioned he could not turn off image review after he had taken a shot. I instantly thought Nikon V1.
Is this the case with the T ?

Ok guys, just a quick update, I know you want the images, but i dont have anything interesting to show yet. but I thought I would give you a quick update,

the camera on the streets and just walking around is quirky and would freeze often, then I thought to check on the firmware, the screens shows I have firmware 0.0 which made me assume I have a prototype of the camera. Then today talking to Leica NZ I was confirmed that Im using a prototype, and that the firmware in the camera is in beta phase and is by no chance final, and thats why they wanted my overall impressions about it. On a second email this afternoon I got from them, I received the first firmware update based on even more initial beta testers of the camera, so ill do that now. This makes me think that even the guys at the camera store might have been using firmware 0.0 and things can improve or change from now on.

So my little update is,
image quality is outstanding, iso 100 is clean and everything "pops" iso 3200 in color is noisy but in black and white gives an beautiful "film grain" noise, like my ricoh.

This camera is something that would come out of Sony not Leica, I sort of see where this is going. Since everything is digital in the camera and nothing mechanic (in terms of buttons and knobs) means that they can update and modify the camera via firmware as much as they like. So this could actually improve and morph into an incredible camera. now, this is just personal thoughts. But I think I might not be too far from it.

thats for now. I promise photos for you to tear apart asap.

Back