Sony Sony Canada jumped the gun, they already have the RX100M3 on their website.

According to the DPR preview, the aperture ramps up pretty quickly. It's f1.8 at the 24mm equivalent, but by 30mm it's already to f2.8 and is pretty close at 28mm. So except for the widest shooting, it's more like a constant f2.8. Which isn't bad and is pretty great for a pocket camera with a larger than usual sensor. I think the equation is still about the same as with the original RX100 - if pocketability is at the top of your list of priorities, it's the best zoom camera out there but it's still quite limited by it's small size. If you like small but don't need the zoom, look at a GR or a Nikon A. If you need the zoom but can do with a bit larger camera, there are options that are better in some ways and not quite in others, but are at least worth consideration. I never liked the handling of the original RX100 at all, despite its great capabilities, and from what I'm reading, I wouldn't on this version either. So, for me, it's a non-starter with an EVF instead of a non-starter without one... But for those who liked the first two iterations but wanted a finder and value the wide end more than the long end, it might be just the ticket...

-Ray

Confuse now...

According to this video, the RX100iii is going at $799 instead of 899 as shown in the website. If it is at 799... I think that is a great price.

I have no problems with any of the specifications for this camera (Looks like the hotshoe is gone again but I don't need one on a camera of this size) and could see myself eventualy buying it - when its replacement has been announced and it goes on closeout. ;) But if the original RX100 Mark 1 drops to $300, I'll snap up one of those to tide me over.

Sony is selling the RX100 refurbished for $250. The stock is spotty. Whenever it becomes available, it sells out quickly. As reported on DPR, it was back in stock yesterday.

Just got a refurbished rx100 from the sonystore: Sony Cyber-shot Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I already have a RX100 and as awesome as the M3 sounds, I don't think it's worth it for me to upgrade. The IQ hasn't really changed, I don't like EVFs, and I haven't found F4.9 to be that limiting. I do really want a tilting LCD but not $800 of want. The ND filter would be really useful but I get by using a ND filter held up to the lens.

You know, once you look past the flashy new features like the EVF and the faster lens. There are actually some other very nice things. The M3 has 5 axis IBIS and full sensor readout video. That video is now at twice the bitrate of the older models.

I heard that the M2 image stabilizer is actually very good. And is wondering about the 5 axis stabilizer of m3. I have experience with Olympus OMD EM5's 5 axis stabilizer and is quite impressed, although frankly speaking I don't think a focal range of 24-70mm would require any stabilization unless you are shooting ultra slow in which even with stabilization it wouldn't help unless you are shooting from a tripod.

Before my OMD, I am shooting a Canon 7D with an very old 300mm f4L (non-IS actually) and I can still go very low shutter speed to less than 1/6 of a second and still get pretty sharp images most of the time. So to me... I am not really looking at the image stabilizer.

Have I missed it, but are there any samples from the new MK III somewhere.
Prefer independent reviewer samples if possible

DPR has put up it's studio shots. I didn't think it would be, but the RX100M3 has decidedly better IQ than the original RX100. It's all about the lens. In the center, it's not all that different. As you move off center, it becomes more obvious. It's been an evolution. The RX10 is better than the RX100[M2] and the RX100M3 is slightly better than the RX10. The lens is the biggest differentiator.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Review

Back