Leica Leica X1 Image Thread

First let me say thank you for posting some of your recent photos, Christina! The water droplets in your close-up of the fountain appear to be a curtain of beautifully polished gemstones! I really like the way they're caught and held on their way down to the pool. Did you get rid of the DNG files for these because I bet you might be able to bring the sky in a bit, if you wanted to. You've definitely caught different aspects of the town - the last two really give such completely different feelings. The marketplace shot looks really dry and hot - and more urban, as does that last one with the telephone call box and that umbrella reaching in.

I've found myself using the viewfinder quite a bit in high contrast scenes and it's great when I have my polarizing sunglasses on, that's for sure! You didn't have yours with you, or it just didn't work well enough?

Bill, shhh...let's not talk about the prices of these Leica cameras.;)

A couple from today

They are building a new conference centre in downtown and I always feel there should be a photo there but have never managed anything I liked. I took this from a bridge overlooking the site and liked the reflections and the way the final form is beginning to emerge.

Construction_site.jpg

This is a reflection of the site in the canal that runs in front of it.

Reflection.jpg

Wow, it almost seems like a giant geodesic dome! I'm feeling a bit woozy looking at that second one. It would be great if you could take another from farther away...and then some when it's finished, too.

Great color, Kathy!

Stunning rainbow photograph - you got lucky, yes, but you knew what you were doing, too!:bravo-009: Of course, first three are also very nice, too - but it's hard to beat this last one!

Such a different style of stained glass in that Methodist church shot, different from what I so often see in the eastern parts of the USA...where many churches have more of the old fashioned Tiffany style, or traditional, stained glass..also lovely, but I like these here in your photo very much. I am guessing they are on the newer side? Regarding that red clay photo - do you know the reasons for what they did there - it almost makes me think of a strip mine...and I can't imagine what would happen with a big rain. Quite a juxtaposition going on. Love the colors in your last two, Ferry. We're so stayed here in the northeast of the USA. with our "colonials".

I'm enjoying seeing everyone's different views of their worlds in this thread!

a few from me - all family members...

4958359916_6ef2a22e93_b.jpg

f/2.8 @ 1/500th ISO 1600 Packing it up... (Why at f/2.8 you may well ask? The answer is - I wasn't thinking...just ran out to record the moment!)

4945808526_24223662bc_b.jpg

f/11 @ 1/30th ISO 3200 w/flash "War and Peace" (Why 3200 - auto ISO? Still pretty amazing at that speed, I think.)

4936173502_dbb8c59ea5_b.jpg

f/4 @ 1/30th ISO 800 More "War and Peace"

4946458214_a79519826e_b.jpg

f/8 @ 1/30th ISO 800 w/flash Birthday presents

View attachment 29409
f/11 @ 1/30th ISO 3200 Birthday brunch (Why 3200? Auto ISO again.)

X1 and EP2 comparing fov

I took both these cameras out yesterday and took similar views to compare.. I think the X1 has much better detail, especially in the sky and the files were noticeably better. I used the Olympus Zuiko 50mm f2 lens on the EP2 (the best I have) with ex.compensation of -0.7 and JPEG. The field of view was much better for the subject and I got a nice view of the castle (Windsor) but at the expense of the blown out sky and grainy file. Once again, the screen on the X1 was extremely difficult to see even though I upped the brightness. I had to work around the kids on bikes as they didn't look like moving any time soon and had perched there to take their own pictures :)

L1001878.jpg

P9058939.jpg

Christina, thanks for taking the same scene with both cameras. I actually prefer the X1's view and think that those itinerant bicyclists with their own agendas add to the whole photo. I like seeing both views - each one gives a completely different feeling, that's for sure. Did you compare the EXIF info to see what the ISO speeds were? I don't know if that comes into play or if you even care, but it might be interesting. That setting is really lovely!!

By the way, thanks for the comments on my photos. My camera is almost always set on Auto ISO and that accounts for the grain, plus maybe a tiny bit of "clarity" added but nothing on purpose for grain effects. Personally, I feel I need to become much more away of my ISO settings and that is something I need to remind myself to do more regularly. Out of sight out of mind?:redface:

I prefer the X1 in some ways too but I really DID want to be able to identify the castle! ISO was X1 100 and EP2 200. The EP2 picture looks quite washed out to me even though I did a little bit of pp, contrast, clarity and "punch" in LR. I also took some pics in the "pub" afterwards (of course ;) and will look to see what Auto ISO was used on the X1. I did not use the EP2 in the pub as it would have been to conspicuous.

Thanks Christina and please report in with those pub shots and details! :drinks:

As for those ISO speeds, they are very normal...so normal that I don't seem to usually find them in my photos.:blush:

Thanks Christina and please report in with those pub shots and details! :drinks:

As for those ISO speeds, they are very normal...so normal that I don't seem to usually find them in my photos.:blush:

Karen, you're too kind. Thanks for taking a look see in on us here!

Christina, thanks for these with the ISO speeds...but now I'm thirsty! Pretty handy inside the pub, I'd think. I like the unobtrusive nature of this camera very much.

Christilou, Thanks for posting the comparison shots. I prefer the X1 for it's colour clarity and detail but I think I prefer the field of view of the EP2. In the X1, Windsor castle ceases to exist as an important part of the image.

Back