LIST of IMAGES ON THIS Thread

1) #1 Common Blue Damselfly - Enallagma cyathigerum - male - UK
2) #5 Common Green Darner, Anax Junius - US
3) #5 Common Blue Damselfly, Enallagma cythigerum - US
4) #6 and #42 Large Red Damselfly Pyrrhosoma nymphula - UK and FR
5) #11 Hairy Dragonfly Brachytron pratense - UK
6) #11 Golden-ringed Dragonfly Cordulegaster boltonii - male - UK
7) #11 Broad-bodied Chaser Libellula depressa – female - UK
8) #11 exuviae of an Emperor Dragonfly Anax imperato - UK - not included in "count"
9) #18 Banded Demoiselle - Calopteryx splendens - male - UK
10) #19 and #54 Beautiful Demoiselle Calopteryx virgo - UK and FR
11) #21 Banded Demoiselle - Calopteryx splendens - female - UK
12) #24, #61 Four-spotted Chaser - Libellula quadrimaculata - female - UK
13) #28 and #43 Azure Damselfly Coenagrion puella - UK and FR
14) #36 Blue-tailed Damselfly Ischnura elegans - male - UK
15) #36
Black-tailed Skimmer Orthetrum cancellatum - male - UK
16) #36, #62 Emperor Dragonfly Anax imperator - male - UK
17). #41 and #46 Common Darter -
Sympetrum striolatum - UK
18). #45 Ruddy Darter Sympetrum sanguineum - male - FR
19) #53 Western Demoiselle, Calopteryx xanthostoma - male - FR
20). #58
Broad-bodied Chaser Libellula depressa - male - FR
21) #60 - Golden-ringed Dragonfly - Cordulegaster boltonii - male - FR
22). #61, #62, #63 - Blue-tailed Damselfly Ischnura pumilio - male - UK
23). #61 -Black-tailed Skimmer Orthetrum cancellatum - male - UK
24). #71 Southern Skimmer, (Orthetrum brunnem) - male - FR
25). #72
Common Darter, (Sympetrum striatum) - female - FR
26). #83 Copper Demoiselle - (Calopteryx haemorrhoidalis) - female - FR
27). #85 - Violet Dropwing (Trithemis annulata) - male - FR
28). #85 Broad Scarlet (Scarlet Darter) Crocothemis erythraea - male - FR

5,700 species of the order Odonata, (Dragonflies and Damselflies), known in the world today
only 120 in Europe, (apparently there are 150 species in Florida!!)
only 56 species of damselfly and dragonfly in Britain and Ireland ........ 16 in thread so far + 4 in France which are seen in the UK

LINKS
British Dragonfly Society - British Dragonfly Society - British Dragonfly Society

If you are interested, post your image … don't worry about the quality ….. then it would be fun to find out their names and more about them.

According to our own resident Chris Packham, the following is a Common Blue Damselfly - Common Bluet (blue form) - Enallagma cyathigerum, first recorded in 1840 - looks like a male - probably the most common in the Region, (Europe and Scandinavia) - seen Hampshire, UK, May 2014

Dfly.jpg

Those are good Luke - need more info - the second one is a "true Dragonfly" according to my book - what set up did you use Luke?

Here's my second - I need a macro lens which I will sort out next week
Taken with a "normal 300mm

I'll now try to find out what it is and add info

UK South - small Dfly - found at the side of a small garden pond - water still and not running

Seems to be called a Large Red Damselfly Pyrrhosoma nymphal ………….. (Edited) ……..

Dfly_2.jpg

Dfly_3.jpg

My best bet is Anax Junius (the Common Green Darner) more info here on the whole family...... http://museum.unl.edu/research/entomology/Odonata/anju.html

Shot with the "ancient" Panasonic FZ35 superzoom

I think that your first one is a member of the Enallagma family "American" Bluets as is the one that I posted - apparently very common but confined to Eurasia and N America

Common Green Darner
Range and Status - "Common and widespread in N and Central America, vagrant in Europe. At least 6 individuals were recorded in the Isles of Scilly and Cornwall in Sept 1998 and one male was captured on the French Coast, near Nantes in Sept 2003. The British records coincided with an Atlantic depression with strong westerly winds"

So I don't reckon I'll see one "over here" ……..

Those are good Luke - need more info - the second one is a "true Dragonfly" according to my book - what set up did you use Luke?

Here's my second - I need a macro lens which I will sort out next week
Taken with a "normal 300mm

I'll now try to find out what it is and add info

UK South - small Dfly - found at the side of a small garden pond - water still and not running

Seems to be called a "Small Red Damselfly" (Ceriagrion tenellum) …….. but it should have reddish legs

Dfly_2.jpg

Dfly_3.jpg

Bill, the fact that this damselfly has antehumeral stripes (I told you they were important), black legs, it's eyes aren't truely red and the location it was found in, it's a Large Red Damselfly, a much commoner species. The Small Red is a damselfly of small acidic pools on heaths and moors with a very limited distribution in the UK, and I doubt if any garden pond plays host to Small Reds.

Barrie

BillN;186301 [B said:
Common Green Darner[/B]
Range and Status - "Common and widespread in N and Central America, vagrant in Europe. At least 6 individuals were recorded in the Isles of Scilly and Cornwall in Sept 1998 and one male was captured on the French Coast, near Nantes in Sept 2003. The British records coincided with an Atlantic depression with strong westerly winds"

So I don't reckon I'll see one "over here" ……..

The one that occured at Rame Head, just west of Plymouth, was "twitched" by quite a few dedicated dragonfly watchers and a guard was mounted on it because the British Natural History Museum sent someone down to catch and kill it for their collection, they were thwarted in that endeavour.

Barrie

A few more to get you going

1000675.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hairy Dragonfly Brachytron pratense

1010297.jpg

male Golden-ringed Dragonfly Cordulegaster boltonii

1010174.jpg

female Broad-bodied Chaser Libellula depressa

1030565.jpg

exuviae of an Emperor Dragonfly Anax imperator

There are others somewhere in my gallery, but I can't find them at the moment, so that's your lot folks, well for now anyway.

Barrie

Thanks Barrie - those are exceptional - when you start to look at them in details they are amazing creatures

As you said - A Large Red - a lot more common and all over the UK and Europe

Luke

is it possible to insert a posting at the beginning that I can edit to provide a list of the names, Common and Latin of all the ones that we post images of?

Back