Sony RX100m2 and flashes

Chris2500dk

Top Veteran
I'm thinking about getting a RX100 m2, but I haven't been able to find consistent reports about using flashes in the hot shoe.
I have a Metz 20 C-2 which I want to be able to use from time to time, has anyone tried this flash on the m2?

Don't have a Mk II but I suspect it will have the new Sony multi interface hotshoe rather than the Sony/Minolta type so check this first.

I bought a Nissin Di622 Mk II flash for the RX10 and had to buy an adapter from Sony which with postage cost another $45. In the limited time I've had it it seems to work well.

Answering my own question here :)

The RX100m2 will fire the Metz 20 C-2 from the hot shoe just fine. Since it's a leaf shutter it'll sync as fast as you can set the shutter speed on the camera.
The only thing to keep in mind is that the display will try to emulate the exposure, so if you shoot 1/2000 f5.6 iso 160 it's going to be pitch black. However if you turn on the camera flash it gains up the image.
Set flash compensation to -2 then it shouldn't interfere much with the Metz, if it does you can always block it with a finger.

Back