Leica Showcase Leica M Image Thread

One of my first shots - on the way back to France from London - just bought a used M8 - 5,000 shutter actuations - serial 351xxxx - (I can now stop looking and start worrying?)

M8 - ISO 640 (there are not many ISO choices!), - 1/90 @f8 - Zeiss Biogon 28mm f2.8, (therefore 35mm equivalent in conventional terms on the 1.3 cropped M8) - straightened a little in LR3 plus a WB change, (I have read the threads about the M8 WB "characteristics)
as I said one of my first shots - indoors etc., so I have not given the cam a chance yet

GTW_28mm.jpg

Nice shot, like the contrast. I'm excited for you! Hope you get some good French weather so you can get out and play with it :) I must admit I'm also thinking about the 8 route too.

Bill, congratulations!!!!! You did it!!:yahoo: The picture looks very well balanced tonally and the colors and white balance appear to be just great to me. How many lenses do you have already that will work with this M8?

BB - with the exception of the 28mm Zeiss, the lens that I have are from my film days - and I sold the best ones that I had a few years ago.

Also reading about the "problems" with the M8 - and the need for a filter on most lens I am unsure as to how they will perform - but it will be interesting to try as "messing around" as my wife puts it, interests me.

I still have two or three LTM, (screw thread), lens plus, I think, a couple of Nikon RF LTM lens, as well as a 50mm Elmar M mount - so they should be interesting as one of the Nikons is 13.5 cm - anyway you only need one lens with the Leica and I quite like the Biogon 28mm - although it's only f2.8

There are quite a lot of negatives with RF - but I quite like them and I still have my M6 and M3 from the past - (which never get used - but I just don't want to sell them)

I just saw the used M8 - it has been well looked after and is only 9 months old, (in Europe we can transfer the Passport between owners - so the cam still has over a years warranty with it) - my wife had just "visited" Hatton Gardens - so I did not feel guilt about the money side.

I could go on about Leicas - and I quite like reading about the quirks and "problems" of the M8 - which make life interesting and do and don't bother me - I would be bothered though if I "forked out" for a US$8,000 M9 and there were problems

anyway - winters here - I sure you'll hear about what i think about the M8 in due course - so far I have a list of things I need starting with a diopter - (correction lens) - as I wear glasses (I didn't when I used the M3) - but I can get by as with RF cams what you see between the lines in the VF only "approximates" to what the images turns out as, especially if do not use Leica lens - and these new digital 6 bit, or whatever, are a "bit dear" as we would say over here

Best wishes

As soon as I get all my photos from Hawaii uploaded, I'll show one I forgot to put the IR filter on for and the comparison after I did. It's a radical change, and makes me sad I couldn't afford an IR pass filter before going. Next time!

Nice moon looking down on that broiling, roiling cauldron! Lovely steam clouds, Deirdre - might be cool as a 16:9, too. Can't wait to see more and hear how you've liked you and your M8 have gotten along on this vacation.;) Looks as though it's been a great beginning!

Well, I've been back from Hawaii for two days, finally got all my pictures imported. The above shots had no post-processing at all. Now it's just a simple matter of sorting through them all. :) Many of them would look good at 16:9, so that'll be fun.

1939 CZJ 5cm F1.5 Sonnar "T". Wide-Open.

picture.php

Thankyou. We were last at Jamestown Settlement, Virginia 3 years ago, and returned for Thanksgiving. I recognize the woman on the left from the last visit. An amazing place.

picture.php

The Sonnar, wide-open, below deck of one of the sailing ships.

The lighting is "all natural", and can be a challenge. Fast lenses give a real advantage.

Brian
Those are some nice images.
In Indianapolis, we have an Amish Mock-Up town at a local park/outdoor concert area...
As you say, a fast lens is a real saver in dim light... I like my Zeiss ZM 50mm f/1.5 C-Sonnar that was made to emulate your original copy...
A great and versatile lens indeed, I like shooting Delta 100 or 400 with mine. And Plus-X also for bit more grain character

Thankyou, all.

It was abit windy, and chilly. Some visitors were not prepared, dressed very lightly. Some of the volunteers performing demonstrations were also a bit cold, had their fires to keep them warm.

Vog (volcano emissions) at dawn. From Halema'uma'u crater.

Interesting bit: mauna = mountain. Mau = fire; doubling indicates plural or magnitude. Hale = house, so Halema'uma'u translates, roughly, as "house of big fire." Mauna translates kinda sorta as center of fire, near as I can tell (I need a better Hawaiian dictionary because "na" is one of those difficult words).

web.jpg

Wonderful images usayit

- I wish that you would stop posting all that stuff with the lens information
- I am on an economy drive and just cannot spend anymore money on camera stuff (although I would like a Cron 35/2 - the pre ASPH will do)

and please don't mention the M9

Cheers

Back