Sony Sony RX100 iii .. what are we doing wrong? Wal-Mart type Camera?

Ok.. I will get lots of flak for this post I know.. but I just can't get friendly with this camera.. I have tried everything to make acceptable shots with the RX100 iii compared with my OMD, GF6, GM1, EPL-5 and even the Canon S120 . most shots with the RX100 iii look drab, lack of color and not sharp at all.. what am I doing wrong? very, very disappointed.. I was so disappointed when I looked at my first shots I wanted to puke .. especially for all the raves and awesome reviews the camera has had.. not to mention the $799 price tag.. please help.. LOL and tears flowing.. what a mistake I may have made.. I tried to give it to my wife who has the LX7 and she says she doesn't want it either.. she said it reminds her of something you would find at Wal-Mart . <smile> :) :) all in good humor here of course..
Doug.

Hey Doug,

If you really arent "clicking" with the camera or how it works or the result it produces, then sell it. there's nothing worse than using (forcing yourself to) a camera you just simply don't like or "click" with it. Re sell it now that are selling like "hot cakes", and use that money for a trip with your wife and use your other cameras. According to your post you already have more than enough gear to shoot whatever you want!. you don't "need" another one.

my 0.00002 cents.

If it's the output you don't like, start playing with the JPEG settings. Add contrast/sharpening to see if you like that better, try the other color modes (I like Portrait with +2 contrast better than Standard). That is if you shoot JPEG of course, for RAW it's just a matter of finding your own settings with the software you use.

If it's the handling you don't like then I agree with Chrisnmn, sometimes you just don't connect with a camera. I had that experience with the Fuji X100, I read all the glowing reviews and reports on it and jumped in, only to find that I didn't much like the handling and I didn't find the output that magical. Sold it off and I'm moving on to other things.

Doug,

I don't own this camera, but I have handled it, and I'm almost certain that there's something wrong with your specimen. You're an experienced shooter, so I won't suggest checking for the obvious (is AF activated?) - but you may simply have a dud. It happens (my first S95 was one, too). If you've got qualms about reselling the camera, why not demand a replacement?

If it's really the product you're not clicking with - well, as Chris has said, just move on. Even though the camera did perform for me, I'm sure it's not for everyone, though I'd say it's the best pocketable camera with an EVF by some margin at this point in time, but that's not saying much (the other offerings are nowhere near its class). Intriguing and capable though the package appears, this can be done better - I'm waiting for the announcements coming for Photokina ... or maybe even CP+ next year (I still dream of something like the GR with an EVF in a similaly compact body). Sony is ahead of the game again - that's their proven forte, but it doesn't mean it's the only game in town.

M.

I agree, this drab, dull, lack of color and no sharpness of a camera really sucks, Sony shafted me when they conn'd me into the Rx100 mIII, Hate it.

I'll force myself to live with it for awhile until I can sucker some fool into buying it from me.

f-38.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lucille: Great colors, sharp images (as far as I can judge from the web resolution), quite noticeable distortion, though (that's what I saw when I tested the RX100 III). Not bad as such, just visible. I also thought it wasn't as easy as I hoped to frame with the EVF. Really nice shots at any rate - proves your point :)

M.

Lucille: Great colors, sharp images (as far as I can judge from the web resolution), quite noticeable distortion, though (that's what I saw when I tested the RX100 III). Not bad as such, just visible. I also thought it wasn't as easy as I hoped to frame with the EVF. Really nice shots at any rate - proves your point :)

M.

Don't even get me started on the distortion...... Those crooks at Sony really pulled the whool over my eyes...... I guess I can use this thing as a paper weight..

f-41.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Doug,

I can fully relate to not enjoying the feel and shooting experience with the RX100 - I tried to like the first one and simply couldn't. Just didn't enjoy it on any level. Fortunately my wife is far less picky than I am and she's been happily using it on full auto for a couple of years now.

But I really don't understand not being able to get decent images out if it unless you just got a defective one. I thought the image quality out of that first one was great - far better than the LX7, a camera I actually liked a lot more. And the lens on the new one seems to considerably better than the version in the first two. I agree with the others that you should play with the jpeg settings or maybe shoot raw for a while and see how you like it. The sensor is the best small sensor on the market by far and while I wouldn't expect it to be as good as the current batch if m43 bodies, it shouldn't be far off.

Good luck,

-Ray

Yes, as Lucille aptly shows, the quality of the lens is outstanding. It's not without its tiny faults, but then, what lens (especially at that price point) isn't? The longer I look at the pictures available, the more I get the impression that the camera is actually quite a bargain: Great fast lens (no match available in its class - I'm talking 1'' sensors here; furthermore it also beats the heck out of all mFT lenses at a similar price point!), more than decent EVF, advanced P&S (but not better) handling - not quite on par with the LX7 in that respect, but at least as good as the S95 (the S120 I tried and the LF1 handled much the same as the S95, btw.) except for the lens ring for stills (it's great for video, though - something that leaves me cold ...). And it's darned small for what it delivers. All in all, it's really very hard to beat if you really do the maths.

Anyhow, it may still not be entirely what I personally want from a camera of that status. But there's no denying that it's a fantastic point and shoot - and it produces an IQ that comes close to that of quite a couple of mirrorless cameras. You can get better results pairing a GX7 (or my personal favourite for price and performance, the E-M10) with one of the f/2.8 zooms available - but the package will be a lot(!) bigger and heavier, and about twice the price. The lens on the LX7 is probably just as good, but the sensor clearly isn't - by some margin. At the moment, only the GM1 with its kit zoom comes close in price and capabilty (and it's more versatile, of course) - but the kit zoom, while quite good, isn't near as nice as the RX100 III's lens besides from from being two full steps slower, while anything bigger defeats the argument and cripples the camera, plus there's no EVF. If I'm not missing anything important, Sony has produced another winner - if it wins me over remains to be seen, but I have to admit that it's really impressive.

That doesn't mean one has to like it ...

M.

Doug, I've got a lovely Fuji X10 that is very engaging to shoot with and produces wonderful JPEGs right out of the camera. No way the wife will think it came from Wal Mart. I'm willing to trade you straight up for that lousy Sony that you wouldn't sell me!

Over on the mu43 forum, we slip into the occasional "sez you" arguments about Panasonic vs. Olympus stuff. Real differences like IBIS and video aside, the two systems are just different shooting experiences with very different ergonomics.

Over on the mu43 forum, we slip into the occasional "sez you" arguments about Panasonic vs. Olympus stuff. Real differences like IBIS and video aside, the two systems are just different shooting experiences with very different ergonomics.

Sez you...

You really can't emphasize the shooting experience enough at this point, because most all the cameras we use and discuss are very capable. The original RX100 is certainly no gem in this regard, but with an added grip and a little getting used to I thought it was good enough. But then when I picked up the X10, where everything just works for me, I always ended up casting a sideways glance tinged with disdain at the little Sony.

Ok.. I will get lots of flak for this post I know.. but I just can't get friendly with this camera.. I have tried everything to make acceptable shots with the RX100 iii compared with my OMD, GF6, GM1, EPL-5 and even the Canon S120 . most shots with the RX100 iii look drab, lack of color and not sharp at all.. what am I doing wrong? very, very disappointed.. I was so disappointed when I looked at my first shots I wanted to puke .. especially for all the raves and awesome reviews the camera has had.. not to mention the $799 price tag.. please help.. LOL and tears flowing.. what a mistake I may have made.. I tried to give it to my wife who has the LX7 and she says she doesn't want it either.. she said it reminds her of something you would find at Wal-Mart . <smile> :) :) all in good humor here of course..
Doug.

Seems to me , after seeing you complained about the camera in another thread that nothing is going to make you happy other then getting rid of it. Either that, or you are on troll mode.

Doug,

I can fully relate to not enjoying the feel and shooting experience with the RX100 - I tried to like the first one and simply couldn't. Just didn't enjoy it on any level. Fortunately my wife is far less picky than I am and she's been happily using it on full auto for a couple of years now.

But I really don't understand not being able to get decent images out if it unless you just got a defective one. I thought the image quality out of that first one was great - far better than the LX7, a camera I actually liked a lot more. And the lens on the new one seems to considerably better than the version in the first two. I agree with the others that you should play with the jpeg settings or maybe shoot raw for a while and see how you like it. The sensor is the best small sensor on the market by far and while I wouldn't expect it to be as good as the current batch if m43 bodies, it shouldn't be far off.

Good luck,

-Ray

I agree with Ray, at least with my Gen 1 RX100, I simply do not like shooting it. Personally I feel it needs a touch screen as its focusing choices are spotting in auto mode and it takes too long to switch focusing points. The menus are a PITA, I'd love to have SCP. The jpeg colors aren't great BUT overall IQ is very good and great DR for a small sensor. At no time do I ever look at the images and think P&S. My S100 images scream P&S. That said, I find the camera is a necessary evil, its the best camera that fits into most of my pockets.

Please post up some comparison pics with the RX100 and your favorite camera, same scene of course, and show us what you mean.

Back