The 32nd Serious Compacts Salon Challenge - Life - Winnner Announced!

Daughter with Pug.

Attachments

• P1000191.jpg
    P1000191.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 137
One last reminder. I will close this thread tomorrow morning my time. So feel free to add a shot today. If you need more time, let me know.
Peter

The 32nd Serious Compacts Salon Challenge - Life - Winner Announced!

First of all, I would like to thank you for your participation. A true tribute to life! Others already said it before: choosing one is difficult. But I did not realize how difficult - and in a way unfair - the process of choosing is. So I will share my thoughts and considerations.

Step 1: impressions when I saw the photos:

1. Matt Everglade (person walking on the beach): A beautiful shot of a tranquil moment. It also shows how to tinyand temporary we are in the scheme of things. I like the composition and colors. Beautiful shot.
  2. ReD (impressionistic shot of kid): Very creative shot (again!) and post-processing. It also shows timelessness and energy. The shot may have been even better with a smile.
  3. Livnius (family having fun): This shot immediately gave me a happy feeling. There is a lot going on. I like the combination of OoF and focus. The facial expression of the man makes it extra special
  4. Pictogramax (women looking outside in building): This photo peeks my curiosity. What is she looking at? why is she sitting there? What is she thinking about? Very nice composition. The blue-ish monochrome colors accentuate the atmosphere.
  5. Davect01 (kid playing): To me this is a true capture of a “moment”. A smile. Fun. Perhaps the composition would have benefited from a 4:5 ratio without the construction on the left?
  6. donlaw (sketch photo of older couple titled looking for future): Very creative shot and interpretation. I really like the composition and shooting angle too.
  7. MiguelATF (friend Sita with doll Parrot): A moving photo. Great use of B/W. The expression on Sita’s face is intriguing; it shows experience (sadness?).
  8. Lightmancer (experimental shot of women smiling): shows dynamic movement and Sunday-feel indeed. Very nicely done.
  9. Pdk42 (2 girls bored, one sleeping the other one callling (?): very contemporary rteflection of life! Beautiful compisition and choice of format. I love the reflection of light and the tones in this photo.
  10. NathanCom (chaos of life): ndeed an expression of the chaotic environment we live in. I thought this was a creative interpretation. The photo draws me into the scene.
  11. Kyteflyer (old man lost in thought): another moving photo with two people lost in thought. Life ends…
  12. Dacalac (kid + women showing something): The photo draws me in the scene. There is so much going on in this scene. Impressive. What is she showing. If the mother would not have been headless or would have cropped out of the scene, this shot would have been in my top-5 list.
  13. Retow (daughter + Pug): a great action shot and tribute to life. High contrast accentuates the scene.
  14. Ener (pillow fight): a truly creative shot showing chaos and energy.
  15. Christilou (girl running in field): a great capture of the atmosphere. I smell the summer and the grass and taste the majesty of the space. Beautiful
  16. BBW (people playing at the beach): A signature BB shot!. I love the framing and the processing. And the scene makes me happy.
  17. Nightbird (ski acrobatics): A great action shot and tribute to life. I wonder if subject isolation and some movement would have brought this scene to an even higher energy level. But I like it. Great scene!

Step-2: Selecting a top-5

Let me first say that everyone is a winner to me. I feel bad by having to select a top-5. My top-5 - in order of publishing - of photos that appealed most to me from a “tribute to life” perspective.
  1. Livnius
  2. Davect01
  3. MiguelATF
  4. Retow
  5. Christilou

Step-3: From top-5 to top-3
Ahhhh. This is even more difficult. Unfortunately this is not a matter of counting numbers. In further narrowing down, I decided to focus on the “happiness factor”: which photos left me with a happiness felling the most. To me that were: Livnius, Davect01 and Retow.

Step-4: the impossible step: selecting The One
After going back and forth, I’ll go for Retow’s daughter and Pug. This scene has everything: smile, action, love, joy, composition, supporting elements.

Retow, congratulations. Have fun in organizing the next contest. I know I enjoyed it (but please be careful about the choice of words and hyphens than I was). ;-)

Thanks, Peter

Congratulations, Retow! Great photo and well worthy win. That is not to say there wasn't fierce competition - this was one of strongest to date. And a big thanks to Pniev for hosting and breaking down his impressions and decisions in such a detailed way.

Just for the record, as you were wondering what the lady was doing in my image: it was a cold day (even partially rainy as the umbrella testifies) and guys have already cleared the chairs from the cafe deck (we see them stacked in the upper left corner) but she asked if she could still have her morning coffee in her usual place. And she got it (on a tiny table next to her). I loved that little slice of life, cold and warm at the same time - that was the reason for choosing it as my entry.

Great job, everybody!

Congratulations, Retow - loved your photo the moment I saw it!:drinks:

And many thanks to Peter for coming up with the challenge and to everyone who added their moments of life! I'm so relieved that life didn't end.:D

Thanks for the explanation! It was a great moment indeed!
I am very happy that I did not have to compete this time.

Congratulations, Retow! Great photo and well worthy win. That is not to say there wasn't fierce competition - this was one of strongest to date. And a big thanks to Pniev for hosting and breaking down his impressions and decisions in such a detailed way.

Just for the record, as you were wondering what the lady was doing in my image: it was a cold day (even partially rainy as the umbrella testifies) and guys have already cleared the chairs from the cafe deck (we see them stacked in the upper left corner) but she asked if she could still have her morning coffee in her usual place. And she got it (on a tiny table next to her). I loved that little slice of life, cold and warm at the same time - that was the reason for choosing it as my entry.

Great job, everybody!

Back