i feel so OLD (help)

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
I went to Best Buy today. I had just bought a pair of headphones and realized that I had no personal music device to use them with (!). So I wandered around the store trying to figure out exactly WHAT I needed. I have experience using iTunes on my Windows based computer so I thought it made sense to consider one of the fruity players. But the fact that I will never (in my forseeable lifetime) own a smart phone (I make no phone calls so it's hard to justify the contract.....and my wife is the same way) means I was looking for an iPod section. I felt like I was looking for a Cabbage Patch doll...... I was seeing all sorts of cooler, more modern gadgets (that I didn't need.....or even fully understand) but I couldn;t find the iPods.

Finally I found them. I was overwhelmed with how small they were, but in a bad way. I like big screens....the ipod touch screen is pretty small. Does anyone else make a similar product that isn't a phone? A "pad" is too big to carry around as an MP3 player/camera/smart remote.

Any suggestions (or words of solace)?

Luke, I think some of the Samsung Galaxy Android devices tend to to have larger screens, and expandable memory, compared to iPods, plus they are cheaper (I think).

I also hear of folks who buy used smartphones that are from past generation(s) and off contract and just use them as MP3 players and on wifi for web browsing. Might be a high value option.

I have that beat though. Cleaned out a closet last week and rescued my Sony Mini Disc player, which has been mothballed for many years now. I had to laugh listening to a bunch of mix discs that I made a decade ago, as well as a few "bootleg" recordings I made. Have a nice Marcia Ball gig and a pretty good Los Lobos show as well. But I digress...

We're getting a Sonos music system and there is an app to make most smart devices into remote controls (and the discontinued their dedicated hardware remote control (grrrrrr).

If it would also do light internet browsing or email, it might help me stave off my wife's urge for a tablet (when she already has one) or breaking down and getting a smart phone (when we've already walked out of two different carriers showrooms because we're currently paying $70 for two lines and we can't find anything cheaper than nearly double that).

The problem is I no longer speak the lingo on tech stuff, when 30 years ago I was the "go-to" guy that was programming VCRs and connecting people's tape decks. I don't even know the right questions to ask.

What do you want to do besides listen to music? All you need the screen for is to read titles. Next size up is a 7 inch iPad.

the iPod touch I was looking at seemed like it was 3 inches. I don't need a big tablet, but it seems like there are some similar "machines" that might have 4 or 5 inch screens. I'm definitely looking for something "pocketable".

Hope that helps.

Can't you get a smartphone that isn't tied to a carrier? I don't have a clue how the smartphone market works in the US, but here in Denmark you can get pretty much every phone without having to buy into an expensive subscription as well.
The newest top models cost a lot of money of course, but if you don't need all that you can get an excellent phone on the cheap.
And subscriptions aren't expensive either, I pay what corresponds to $20 a month for 6 hours of call time and 10GB data.

Check for used samsung galaxy s4. Or samsung note...2...? I think that's one generation old. You should be able to find people trying to sell them to get new ones??

Then it wouldn't be tied to a carrier

Google "sell my cell phone" and then see if you can BUY from those companies that buy used phones in good condition

That's what I'd do!

I can't wait for ios8 to get released and a new iPad. Then I can store all my photos in super cheap cloud storage and have access to them from any of my apple devices, while using the new photos app. Super convenient!

Btw, looooooove my SONOS system! I have the PLAYBAR and sub. About to go buy one of the play3 speakers to have in the bedroom to spread the music around the house better
I've got $200 or so best buy bucks to use up!

Luke,

The iPod "touch" is the same size as a current iPhone. It basically IS an iPhone without the phone or cell connection. You were probably looking at a "Nano" or something, which is REALLY tiny. But as a Sonos vet myself now, I gotta say that the tablet sized apps are a lot easier to work with and get around on than the phone sized app. I have an iPad mini that I like for it, but I even picked up a dirt-cheap Kindle Fire (or whatever they're called) to keep in our kitchen just to always have a controller handy for our downstairs speakers. I think I paid $80-90 for it, maybe $120 but I don't think so.

-Ray

My portable telephone is a Sony Xperia Ultra Z. The screen is huge - have a Google and you will see what I mean. A side benefit is a huge battery with a matching battery life. It is my in-car sat-nav, in preference to the built-in one. It integrates seamlessly via Bluetooth. It is my Kindle, and my music player -it has a Walkman built-in. On holiday now it is all I take to the beach - it is waterproof. I use it with Google Play to stream my music to my speakers at home and with Chromecast, to put YouTube and iPlayer content on my TV. I use it for email, text and browsing, and for 90% of my forum activity. I make or receive maybe 2 or 3 calls on it per month.

Oh, and I bought it unlocked, pre-owned, in mint condition with a warranty...

In short it is my Vade Mecum for the modern world.

Give it a thought. It even takes halfway decent photos!

The problem is I no longer speak the lingo on tech stuff, when 30 years ago I was the "go-to" guy that was programming VCRs and connecting people's tape decks. I don't even know the right questions to ask.

Oh, how familiar this^^^ is to me...:(:)

I've no suggestions, or words of solace, I'm afraid - just sympathy (or should that be empathy? Or both? :rolleyes:)

I love it when someone says "I don't want/will never buy an X" and all the responses say "Buy an X" ... :D

As I have an unreasoning and irrational hatred for all things Apple-y, the only suggestion I have is that you get hold of a proper Sony Walkman and dig out your old cassettes ...

OK Luke. I think your problem is that, assuming we can refer to the iPod touch as a tiny tablet, there is a jump in tablet size from the Touch to the 7 inch tablets. You seem to want something in the 4-5 inch range. Dell used to have a little tablet like that but that was a while back. Your best alternate is what everyone (except Polly) is saying, which is to get one of the larger smartphones like the Galaxy and just use it on WiFi mode. I'd hunt around eBay for used, etc., since these things are pretty expensive new. Just for the record, I use my iPod Shuffle (no screen at all) for walking/running, sometimes my iPhone when I want more control, and my Kindle Fire when I'm in couch mode.

Luke - I used the iPod Touch when we had Sonos (now use as a remote for iTunes running on a Mac Mini connected to my stereo) and it works well for that and portable music. The screen is a bit on the small side for browsing, IMO, but it will work in a pinch for web and quick emails, etc. Oh yeah, and the camera is pretty decent (not quite up to iPhone 5S levels, but better than most smartphones).

Next step up in size would be the iPad Mini, better for web/email, but a little too big to take everywhere, IMO. If they release new iPods (probably early next year if it happens), they will probably be bigger.

As much as I would like to get something non-Apple, they have a nice little walled garden with plenty of apps and compatible devices.

Oh yeah, and if you want a bit of a deal on an iPod Touch, do a search for "iPod refurbished" and you should end up on Apples store site. You will pay tax, but you will get a few bux off new and the devices are supposed to be like new:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD723LL/A/refurbished-ipod-touch-32gb-black-slate-5th-generation

I have the original ipod nano, also the mini which looks like a usb stick. I gave the mini to my daughter, use the nano, and have gutted it twice now to replace the battery (which apple would like you to buy an entire new unit when they die)..

my suggestions would be...

--some kind of mp3 player, doesn't need to be apple, could be an older apple, but there are other brands out there
--a used phone as others are saying, gave my old first gen android to my daughter for gaming..
--a tablet, smaller ones anyway, don't have to have mac brand either

you just need to decide why you want size, is it to read the selections better and does it matter if you use reading glasses ^\0^0/^

any of these things you can buy used, there is tons of old stuff out there-- they all pretty much work the same

a few months from now i'd offer you my galaxy s4 (i dropped first one so this is the new replacement), but i am currently on contract. point is, it does it all, the wifi, check your mail, play your tunes, take photos in a pinch and has expandable mini sd card slot for more memory which you will find is a nice options-- my ipod nano is 4GB lol. I listen to it on insomnia nights, so does hubby, so it gets a workout.. sometimes 4 gig doesn't seem like enough!!

Luke: if you are already a part of the fruit generation, you may as well wait until the September Apple event, where new iphones and iOS8 will be announced. There's often an iPod update then as well, and given that the iPhone is expected to go to 4.7" and 5.5" (though the latter may be not til next year depending on which rumour is prevalent) there is a very good chance that the iPod will receive an update of a similar kind, at the same time. I doubt it will ever get the 5.5" but I could be wrong.

How urgent is the purchase. As Ray points out, the existing iPod Touch has a 4" screen. And it does everything the phone does except make calls.

I have iTouch & ipad - sound quality seems to be the same & titles are both readable from screen

I have just upgraded from XP to Windows 7 by installing a seperate hard drive thus keeping both systems on same computer
Its a challenge to get files transferred from one to the other & its not complete yet

Add i Tunes to the mix transfer & my head starts to spin - Especially as I have recorded loads of vinyl via Audacity as WAV files in XP but to conserve space on an ipad / touch I convert down with loss of sound quality (not that it is really apparent listening through the ear plugs)

I don't get how iTunes has built up a reputation - the program is not that intuitive. Yes It works but could be a lot simpler. OK if you are into downloading & purchasing - I'm not - I just want my old stuff free for my own use

Both my ipad & touch were gifts but left to my own devices I'd like to see simpler systems I could get on with

One further comment - A friend bought a Bose Bluetooth speaker recently & I was knocked out at the sound quality played via his phone well worth a listen before you commit to your system

I have iTouch & ipad - sound quality seems to be the same & titles are both readable from screen

I have just upgraded from XP to Windows 7 by installing a seperate hard drive thus keeping both systems on same computer
Its a challenge to get files transferred from one to the other & its not complete yet

Add i Tunes to the mix transfer & my head starts to spin - Especially as I have recorded loads of vinyl via Audacity as WAV files in XP but to conserve space on an ipad / touch I convert down with loss of sound quality (not that it is really apparent listening through the ear plugs)

I don't get how iTunes has built up a reputation - the program is not that intuitive. Yes It works but could be a lot simpler. OK if you are into downloading & purchasing - I'm not - I just want my old stuff free for my own use

Both my ipad & touch were gifts but left to my own devices I'd like to see simpler systems I could get on with

I think if I was a Windows user, its likely that I would never have become an iPhone user. It all "just works" if you are well integrated. What I find amazing is that there seem to be more windows using iphone/ipod owners than there are Mac users. But that might just be a feature of there being more Windows computers out there. I've never found itUnes to be anything *but* intuitive. Unlike that shambolic mess thats called "Windows Media Centre". But that works too. It just depends on what you want to do. If you hate itunes that much there are a bazillion free apps which work to store and present your music. The one that springs immediately to mind is Songbird which is built on the firefox/mozilla code. Its not bad. Cant find its website (probably sourceforge) but heres the cnet info link Songbird

I use the Olympus menu system. Everything else seems like breathing.

Back