An informal poll . . . what describes your approach to photography?

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Perhaps one of these choices will resonate with you:

A. I am an intentional photographer. I gather the gear that I think that I will need and then set out to take photographs.

B. I am an opportunistic photographer. I take a camera with me in the course of normal activity in the hopes that something interesting will appear for me to photograph.

C. A little of both A and B.

D. Something else (please describe).

I'll get the ball rolling. With the exception of work assignments, B describes my approach.

Cheers, Jock

For a long while, I was an intentional shooter who opportunistically waited for inspiration. I had only one serious camera which I carried all the time, but didn't use it until I had a sudden bout of inspiration. Once that happened, I went to see the thing I felt like photographing (whether it was near my location or not), and did so.

Now that I have several cameras, weirdly enough I usually carry no camera at all, unless I know in advance that I want to take photos.

G.

I always carry a camera - a camera, mind - I don't cheat with a portable telephone. I also set out with intent, and by numbers, do the bulk of my photography this way. I have two main subdivisions in my fileproof fooling system - "destinations" and "events and days out" - 80% of my photography falls into one category or the other. I also shoot "themes" - sometimes over many months or years. These include "found frames", "dereliction", "doors and locks" and others. Sometimes I will go out with such a theme in mind, other times a motif will just present itself.

Spontaneity is important to me. Whether shooting with intent or not, I always try to keep eyes and mind open. That takes me back to where I started - always carrying a camera. The subtlety is that the camera I choose to carry varies by mood. Sometimes - often - it is my GR, but it might be an X-F1, or a Minox B, a Leica II, or... Then the choice of camera channels, to an extent, the choice both of subject matter and treatment it receives.

...it's complicated... :rolleyes:

Back