Fuji XM1 for $399

Based on my communications with the seller, I believe it's a gray market item. So should I buy this one, or, for $50 more, buy the X-A1 kit with US warranty? Decisions, decisions.

That's always a tough call. I did some looking, and the XA1 with the Bayer sensor gives excellent results which look equivalent to the XM1 for JPEG and better in RAW. I've also heard that the X-Trans RAW files are hard to work with. That certainly true for the XF1 files I have tried.

Chuck, I'd try to contact Fuji USA if I were you and ask - even if they won't honor a warranty on a gray-market camera - if they will at least repair that camera at your expense. Some camera companies won't. But, unless you simply must have the X-Trans sensor, I'd lean toward the X-A1 anyway.

That's always a tough call. I did some looking, and the XA1 with the Bayer sensor gives excellent results which look equivalent to the XM1 for JPEG and better in RAW. I've also heard that the X-Trans RAW files are hard to work with. That certainly true for the XF1 files I have tried.
X-Trans RAW files from my X-E1 work just fine in the latest Lightroom, and you can find some nice presets that really sharpen them up wonderfully. And then they can be processed very nicely in Silver Efex Pro.

Back