My First Digital Camera

ReD

Hall of Famer
My First Digital Camera

Canon RC260 - Still video

saved me a fortune in film & developing costs & gave me immediate access to some of the worst quality digital images I've ever seen or taken especially when capturing off video tape

still it paid for itself within a year & also saved on delivering & collecting from the photo lab

Sony DSC-50, still have it, and still works !!

sony-cyber-shot-dsc-s50-medium.jpg

Kodak DC-260, which cost me about $800, and a 32 MB (that's MB, not GB, and it was fast in it's day - rated 4X speed - oooohh!) Compact Flash that cost another $200. I sold the camera for around $30 a few years ago, and the CF card was not worth first class postage, so I think I may have used it as a doorjamb.

http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/images/9812a.jpg
http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/images/9812b.jpg

There are several of these on ebay right now for $20-35 including shipping. I wish them luck, that was what it was worth 3-4 years ago.

This was the first "pro" digital camera to reach my household. My dad bought it. I was 18 years old or so. Before this one he bought a Hewlett Packard one cant find the model online it was 2 megapixel and even bigger than a entry dslr.

65668-olympus-camedia-c-750-ultra-zoom.jpg

I was a little late to enter the digital age but my first digital camera was a rather nice Olympus... Only 5mp but I still have 20x30 inch prints on my wall that look very nice indeed.... Of course that was a serious camera but not really compact....

Oly2.JPG

I still own an E-1 - and believe it or not, I just bought that 14-54mm lens last week to use with my OM-D E-M1. Paid $108 for a clean used copy - and, it's a weather-sealed lens. I might even still use that E-1 if I had occasion to take pictures in a downpour, or partly submerged. Back in the day, that was a $500 lens, and the OM-D E-M1 gives it new life, as all the automation works, and it's significantly faster than the current kit lenses - it's arguably a legitimate alternative to the new 12-40mm f2.8 Micro 4/3 lens, for 1/7th the price.

But the E-1 was nowhere NEAR my first digital camera. Not even my first DSLR (that honor goes to an Olympus E-10, followed by an E-300, then the E-1).

My first digital camera (I've forgotten the maker) was 0.3 MP which produced an image of 640x480 pixels (VGA in computer terms). It had a small fixed lens and no LCD screen so framing was by a crude OVF. It cost me about £90 and to all intents was useless, however it started my interest in digital photography which over the years has brought me to SC.

My first digital camera: a Nikon Coolpix 600. I still have it, it still works, but it's hardly usable by today's standards (it takes several seconds to store a single picture - and completely locks up during that process). Only 0.8Mpx resolution (1024x768px) - it does render colours nicely enough, though.
nikon-coolpix-600-medium.jpg

Funnily enough, in its time, it was considered quite a "serious" compact ... it was Nikon's first digital compact, in fact.

M.

Bruce, every time you share those photos of that Contax, I go off in search of one (hoping I can find one cheap). There are none anywhere.....at least not for what they SHOULD cost considering the age of the technology. This is one BEAUTIFUL camera.

I was a late adopter of digital. My first was the original Canon EOS Digital Rebel (300D) which I bought in the fall of 2004. Terrific image quality (for 6mp) but noisy above ISO 400 and slow as molasses. I do not have a picture of the camera, but here's a couple of shots taken with it in Saint Gimignano and Venice, Italy:

IMG_1194-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_1280.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers,

Antonio

My first digital camera (I've forgotten the maker) was 0.3 MP which produced an image of 640x480 pixels (VGA in computer terms). It had a small fixed lens and no LCD screen so framing was by a crude OVF. It cost me about £90 and to all intents was useless, however it started my interest in digital photography which over the years has brought me to SC.

I had something similar, I believe it was a Relisys Dimera 3500. More a toy than anything else but I used it a lot for eBay pictures and was still shooting film for real pictures then.

I think my first real compact was a Finepix 4700 and my first DSLR was a Fuji S1.

Back