Neck Straps

ReD

Hall of Famer
I have little use for leather Neck straps as I've always found them too hard, sweaty & uncomfortable.
Also emblazoned with trade names & logos puts me well off wearing them. Give me low key discrete any day.

So I thought I'd get a fabric one - like a thin scarf. Well I searched locally & found them all too feminine, too garish, & Pricey. When what I wanted was thin simple & plain.

Returning home I raided the closets & found a thin black sash stuffed in the back of some drawers - simply tied this to the eyelets & away to go. Soft, Comfort, non sweaty. Free.

Not sure where the sash came from but its now mine.

The other aspect I forgot to mention is that the sash folds up (scrunches) really small & fits neatly into the belt pouch salvaged from my old Canon Ion RC260 - try that with a leather strap

Heh.

My favourite is a braided one, made for me a few years ago by a saddler friend. It is comfortable to wear, resolutely non-slip, and stays put when you wind it around your wrist. It resides on my X-Pro these days but here it is in earlier days on my MP4:
18945217.59f90cfc.1024.jpg

MP4 braided strap 2 par Lightmancer, on ipernity

What exactly am I looking at here? Appears to be a lens on the camera mounting plate

What exactly am I looking at here? Appears to be a lens on the camera mounting plate

I was wondering exactly the same thing. It looks like some sort of bottom plate with a lens mount on it, ostensibly to carry a second lens without having to bring a bag along? I'm not sure whether it's ingenious or insanity or something in between. Interesting idea though...

-Ray

It's a "Lens Carrier M". It does indeed allow you to carry a second lens without the need for a bag. It fits all film Ms. It is useful both to carry a lens and to act as a grip/mini tripod (depending on the lens). With one of these fitted I could change lenses at a fast trot in under 10 seconds. There was also a two lens version designed by Walther Benser and marketed as the "Benser Baseplate" but I never got on with that so well.

I love my Luigi Straps
I use them without the half case on my other cameras very soft, crunchable, strong and very well made
SilverSPsm.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's partly dependent on which lenses you mount to the camera and the carrier but it never caused me a problem. Bear in mind that both mounts are on the same axes in two dimensions.

I usually leave it to my wife to buy expensive fashion accessories, but I was finding the variance in strap design between various camera brands to be a literal pain in the neck so I started looking for some alternatives (but hopefully not of the expensive kind). I happened upon a nice and compact strap made by a company called "Cam-in" which I now have on most of my cameras, costing about $10 or $11 each.

IMG_7021_zpsc3f9963b.jpg

They come with components to suit a couple of different mounting methods like this

IMG_7024_zps3d08ce0f.jpg

Also these, which to be honest I don't trust

IMG_7022_zps4ee77c6a.jpg

And of course the straps can be threaded through the camera's original strap lugs or d-rings

IMG_7023_zps5dab1c82.jpg

The buckles look and feel quite solid

IMG_7026_zps0701cc95.jpg

I actually don't mind neck straps until I am carrying some seriously heavy gear, but for anyone who feels neck discomfort, I can thoroughly recommend slings as an alternative. Even when not bothered by the weight, I like the way a sling holds the camera on my hip rather than bouncing in front of me.

Back