Fuji Fuji X30 announced

No. Not until they give it another sensor, preferably one inch. My 'old' X10 is still doing fine, has the same great lens and is good and fast enough for lots of my stuff.

No. I recently snagged an X-20, and used it for the second half of SiJ. I like the optical viewfinder. I started in the X-world with an X-10 and the -20 is a logical progression; the -30 isn't.

No. I recently snagged an X-20, and used it for the second half of SiJ. I like the optical viewfinder. I started in the X-world with an X-10 and the -20 is a logical progression; the -30 isn't.
Yep. Regarding the X20 I had one for a short while but didn't like the files too much. To me those claimed 30% less noise looked more like 30% added suppression, especially of microcontrast, and Fuji don't provide an option to switch their pre-RAW noise cancellation (X-wax engine) entirely off, not even on their X system cameras.

I sold my X10 last year and really wanted a camera like the X30 from Fuji - but with a larger sensor. A one-inch chip would have been enough. I was actually in the market for such a camera and would have bought the X30 but Fuji decided to stick with the 2/3 sensor. I now have both a X100T and a Panasonic LX100, so I'm set.

I read some interesting reviews of the X30 of Streetshooter's blog which made me want to try one out, but so far the relatively high initial pricing has been a factor.

But there is one thing I'm curious about: a number of initial publicity releases from Fujifilm and early reviews stated that the X30 has no "lo pass" filter (aka AA filter). So this is a two-part question -

1. is this true? does it not have an optical/lo-pass/AA filter?

and

2. I remember reading, ages ago, that one of the big improvements of the X20 over the previous X10 was the deletion of the optical/low-pass filter in the X20. That seemed like a big deal at the time, especially in terms of sharpness and image quality. Am I missing something - or were or are there other similar tweaks which distinguish the X30 from its previous sibling?

As far as I remember neither one of them has an AA filter. The X10 has one of the older EXR sensors but that pixel/CFA arrangement/EXR tech has driven more than one shooter mad. On a side note: I did an unscientific resolution test of my X10 about 2 years ago and mine didn't get much above 3 'real' megapickles in L mode (12MP 'high' resolution mode due to a different sensor readout) but for me it's still a great little camera nevertheless.

Really, the main reason I wanted one was the updated EVF (I'm finally getting past *MUST* have OVF territory) and the updated film simulations. However, and in spite of my protestations that I'll never have anotehr VF-less camera... I am also interested in the XQ2, which will also feature the same film sim set, and which will hopefully be at a more affordable pricepoint.

The only EVF I've experienced is on my old Nikon P60 - it's very useful even though poor quality & I wish the X10 was equipped with it as you can never be sure where the focus is through the optical view finder. Especially when shooting through branches etc
There's a lot in favour of the XF1 family in size & image quality - From images here I often think its sharper than the X10 / X20.
I recently bought another F660 to replace the one stolen (I missed it) & its a joy to slip in a pocket. Far easier than the X10 & that isn't big.

Just one week ago I've been thinking about selling my Fuji X gear, but then. Another series of shots, a different stream of thoughts, still more hate than love for X-wax but Fuji really got me hooked with their hybrid viewfinders, fine lenses, high ISO performance and dynamic range. Regarding finders I've just been looking through real glass for too many years, call it conditioning but more often than not that's part of the fun. At the moment the XP1 and some glass is all I really need apart from a 23mm pancake but Fuji apparently wants us to buy that lens with an X100xyz attached, so there goes the money. At least I can shoot 35mm FOV with an unblocked OVF and I've been really missing that for quite a few years. I'm not even interested in smaller cameras that much anymore so even if Fuji would finally come up with a one-inch sensor compact one day I might give it a miss.

I read some interesting reviews of the X30 of Streetshooter's blog which made me want to try one out, but so far the relatively high initial pricing has been a factor.

But there is one thing I'm curious about: a number of initial publicity releases from Fujifilm and early reviews stated that the X30 has no "lo pass" filter (aka AA filter). So this is a two-part question -

1. is this true? does it not have an optical/lo-pass/AA filter?

and

2. I remember reading, ages ago, that one of the big improvements of the X20 over the previous X10 was the deletion of the optical/low-pass filter in the X20. That seemed like a big deal at the time, especially in terms of sharpness and image quality. Am I missing something - or were or are there other similar tweaks which distinguish the X30 from its previous sibling?

I think that the X-Trans colour array provides a means of suppressing moiré which allowed the AA-filter to be removed.

I think that the X-Trans colour array provides a means of suppressing moiré which allowed the AA-filter to be removed.

That's exactly the case and the entire reason for Fuji's X-Trans technology. Some people don't like it, claiming "muddy" details in things like leaves and grass, etc. I'm not doubting them. But unless I'm pixel-peeping I don't find it to be an issue.

That's exactly the case and the entire reason for Fuji's X-Trans technology. Some people don't like it, claiming "muddy" details in things like leaves and grass, etc. I'm not doubting them. But unless I'm pixel-peeping I don't find it to be an issue.

It really depends on a number of factors, Fuji's pre-RAW processing that includes the first stage of noise suppression, the structures/details/surfaces of your subject and the RAW conversion software to name but a few. The one single aspect of X-Trans that gave me the most headaches during the last 14 or so months with my XP1 has been that pre-RAW noise cancellation since it feeds on low contrast details and can't be switched off. There's no need to pixel peep to notice that effect. In the meantime I've found different ways to recover those details but it's an image to image decision and takes time. At one point I got so fed up that I almost sold my Fuji stuff but then I don't need to process all my images that way, just a certain percentage. The NEX-7 on the other hand absolutely delivers in that department, if you slap on some fine glass and shoot RAW below ISO800. There must be a reason why I kept it after all.

Have to admit I don't understand any of this stuff. I shoot RAW & Jpeg but really only work with Jpegs.
I suppose if I practiced more with Silkypix I'd have a bit more understanding Yes? No?

Have to admit I don't understand any of this stuff. I shoot RAW & Jpeg but really only work with Jpegs.
I suppose if I practiced more with Silkypix I'd have a bit more understanding Yes? No?

Well, I couldn't think of a better way to learn about RAW developing than jumping right into the job. I used Silkypix (Raw Developer) for the RAWs from my X10 and the demosaicing left a darn lot to be desired, at 100% you were looking at a real fuzzy mess. It works better with X-Trans files IF e.g. the UI is your cup of tea. Since I bought my XP1 I have tried almost every RAW developer there is but they all have their individual strengths and weaknesses. I haven't used a single software that has it all or does everything just right. It all depends on your priorities, what you're after, max.resolution, highlight and shadow recovery, microcontrast, tonal manipulation, film sims, comfort, speed, etc...
Just in case, there are a few freebies out there (Rawtherapee, ...) and Fuji has announced a free, newer version of their RAW developer (based on SillyPix) for the 26th of this month. I've got some real nasty x-files waiting for it :D

I loved both the X10 and X20 for the immediacy of the optical finder. Another little EVF camera is so much ho hum. But if it makes the X20's come down in price, I'll replace mine and be thankful to the X30

I wish all camera manufacturers looked at the X30 when designing a high end compact. It's just incredible.

Yeah it's a bit on the heavier side and the EVF should be on the side like the X-E2 but other than that, it's an absolute pleasure to use. I prefer manually zooming my lenses and I just connect with the camera.

The Sony RX100 and Canon G7X is better on paper but I don't get the joy that I get with the X30.

Excellent JPEGs, usable ISO 800. Great battery life.

I'd like Fujifilm to work on their video mode and release a new sensor especially with the X40.

I wish all camera manufacturers looked at the X30 when designing a high end compact. It's just incredible.

Yeah it's a bit on the heavier side and the EVF should be on the side like the X-E2 but other than that, it's an absolute pleasure to use. I prefer manually zooming my lenses and I just connect with the camera.

The Sony RX100 and Canon G7X is better on paper but I don't get the joy that I get with the X30.

Excellent JPEGs, usable ISO 800. Great battery life.

I'd like Fujifilm to work on their video mode and release a new sensor especially with the X40.

Yeah, let's all wait and see. I haven't shot a single minute of video with any of my digital snappers but couldn't agree more on the importance of the fun factor and a sensor update.
However, there's another aspect of my X10 that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else and don't get tired of repeating. That camera is a beast for B&W photography at lower ISO and with sufficient light. Don't get me wrong, there are much, much better cameras out there in every regard BUT coming from film and having lugged around heavy Nikon stuff for decades the gritty output of my X10 (RAW) is about up on par with what I used to do with 135 Tri-X shot with expensive heavy gear and to me that means a darn lot. My first BW prints from that little camera hit me like the proverbial hammer.

I guess the big knock on the X30 is the fact that, like some of the other small sensor compacts, e.g. Nikon V, things fall apart pretty fast above ISO 400. I notice the IS on my x30 is pretty good, and does allow me to stay at ISO 400 or below in most shooting situations. It seems there is hardly a single feature Fuji did not include. When I bought mine it was $600. I think they go cheaper than that now. In the "Value" category, it is hard to imagine a better deal ever coming along.

I do wish it were a bit smaller. If price is not a consideration, and the telephoto is not necessary to your intended purpose, the X100/X100s/t might be a better alternative, as there is little difference in size and weight between the x100 and x30. I think that was a bit of a mistake on Fuji's part.

The X30 is a great camera to shoot and have fun with. I do not regret getting mine.

Back