Fuji Fuji X30 announced

bartjeej

Hall of Famer
Fujifilm X30 First Impressions Review

From a technology viewpoint, I would've liked either a larger sensor or a faster lens. Right now, only the RX100 series and G1X series outperform it among compact zoom cameras, but I think/hope that'll change before Photokina is over. As it is currently, it's priced just about right compared to the composition, and it'll undoubtedly make a fine camera even better, but I'm not sure that'll be enough in a month's time.

The thing I'm most enthusiastic about is oddly enough the "classic chrome" film simulation, which is supposed to look like Kodachrome. Don't think they'll offer it on an X100 update, but still it'll be nice to see what they come up with.

Hmm... No OVF. I had an X10 and loved it. It was my gateway drug to the X system. Think I'll pick up a new or refurbished X20 while I still can. Reading the specs side by side, with the exception of improved battery life (which is no biggie) there are no other "improvements" that appeal.

Pluses:

- EVF sounds like a real asset
- the same battery as the X100/s and Ricoh GXR, making dual camera usage even easier on trips
- tilting screen
- 24/25p video, so no more awful flickering in artificial light
- seems to be faster to operate
- control ring around lens base

Minuses:

- look chunkier than the X10/20
- still not easy to power up with one hand
- still uses the X20 sensor and processor
- some people will miss the OVF, despite it being smallish and having parallax error

It looks great for a lot of people, but I don't see myself buying it. I've got loads of cameras and I'm quite happy with my current combination of Panasonic GM1 and LX7. The size places it almost in Canon G1x territory, which is bigger than anything I carry on a regular basis these days.

Hmmm. Well, if I was determined to buy a Fuji X compact, I guess I'd buy this over either of the first two. The EVF and tilting screen and a few other performance bumps are real enough improvements. But I'd be more likely to go for a Canon G1X MkII or, hopefully, an LX8 (assuming it has a 1" or 4/3 sensor). If this had upgraded to a 1" sensor, it would be a real contender, but I find this pretty disappointing given where this part of the market seems to be going... So now it's down to Panasonic or maybe Olympus or Nikon to push the RX100 family...

-Ray

It's just too big for what it is. I keep looking at the bargain prices on the X10/X20 but despite the better lens the XF1 is (to me) a better compromise of size and IQ.

Hmmm. Well, if I was determined to buy a Fuji X compact, I guess I'd buy this over either of the first two. The EVF and tilting screen and a few other performance bumps are real enough improvements. But I'd be more likely to go for a Canon G1X MkII or, hopefully, an LX8 (assuming it has a 1" or 4/3 sensor). If this had upgraded to a 1" sensor, it would be a real contender, but I find this pretty disappointing given where this part of the market seems to be going... So now it's down to Panasonic or maybe Olympus or Nikon to push the RX100 family...

-Ray

Don't forget the Samsung Mini! :)

No OVF, not interested. It's really why I love these little gems (the X10 and X20). My E-M5 with the pancake zoom makes a very small package if I'm not looking for the experience these X cameras give, and it provides better IQ.

No, my interest in this particular series has been the immediacy of the Optical finder and the general faux rangefinder feel to them. It's what makes them so much fun for me, and I find them a blast to use. As always, though, I'm ready to change my mind if handling the new version seems to warrant it. I

Very interested in this... dont care that its big, I'm over wanting tiny (and if I did, it would likely be the XQ1 instead, but that lost me with no VF). Price is way too high for me, but I suppose in time it will come down.

My feelings as well. I tried the RX100 and while that camera delivers very nice IQ I just did not enjoy using it, too tiny for me, too small buttons etc. I am more than happy to give up some sensor size in return for a decent grip and ergonomics, as well as tilt screen and a good EVF (I played with the RX100M3 in the shop, not too impressed with that EVF). My enjoyment of photography is as much in the actual process of taking the pictures as in looking at the results, and for that I prefer a camera that just feels right to me (I have not held the X30 yet of course, but it looks like it should be nice in that department).

Having said all this I would still prefer it to have a larger sensor of course, but as soon as the price starts dropping I will probably have a look at this one anyway, by that time Panasonic and Nikon will hopefully have announced their LX8 or P8000 or whatever they will be called, so no hurry right now...

I also don't like my cameras too small. I have larger hands and find small cameras hard to handle at times.

I like that they added a larger battery that will give more time shooting. One thing I do not like about my XZ1 is how fast it goes through a battery.

I was going to get an X20 when it was released but didn't because of the jpeg noise issue{and price}. I had hoped that Fuji would address that with a firmware update but they never did. They have now fixed that problem with this new one however. On a compact I mostly shoot jpegs so the problem was unacceptable at the price.

The other new things I also find exciting. First they added a multi-function ring around the lens. I like that feature on the XZ and sure I would on this too. They added the great focus peaking that other X models have. They also gave it pretty good video ability, I just wish the focus peaking worked in video mode but it seems it doesn't.

I prefer the more classic style of the X10/20 but I can live with the X30. It isn't ugly just not as retro as the earlier versions.

looks brilliant!! I like the grip, looks easier to hold. It's a very modern 'retro' design but good looking. I wish it were 24mm at the widest but 28mm is OK.

Yep, like it!

I don't like cameras too small either - I never got along with the RX100 despite it's obvious capabilities. My complaint with the X-30 has nothing to do with size. I just can't see buying another compact with a sensor smaller than the 1" in the RX100 going forward. If they can work out how to get such a brilliant sensor into such a small body, and if they're selling it (which they appear to be based on the FZ1000), there's no good reason to come out with another smaller sensor compact 2 years after the RX100. I understood when the RX100 got the jump on everyone in 2012 and then a few other smaller sensor compacts came out shortly there-after. But there's nothing particularly special about the Fuji X-Trans 2/3" sensor and for them to launch another generation of this compact with it I find really disappointing. As of the moment, if I were to buy a compact zoom camera, it woiuld be the Canon G1X mk II but I'd like it a WHOLE lot more with a more modern sensor that had better DR and high ISO capability (like the Sony sensor). I was hoping the X30 or LX8 or XZ3 would use the 1" or better sensor and build a camera I'd actually like (unlike the RX100). So far, Fuji isn't - still hoping to see what Panasonic will announce. Since the FZ1000, I can't imagine their next LX won't have at least the same sensor in it....

-Ray

In truth, I don't really care that the sensor is smaller, however the argument for a larger one in the X30 is certainly cogent. If Ricoh can cram an APS-C sensor into the GR, can't see why Fuji can't do that with the X30 (or next time, X40). It might cannibalise sales of the XM and XA though for me, neither of those appeal in any case.

In truth, I don't really care that the sensor is smaller, however the argument for a larger one in the X30 is certainly cogent. If Ricoh can cram an APS-C sensor into the GR, can't see why Fuji can't do that with the X30 (or next time, X40). It might cannibalise sales of the XM and XA though for me, neither of those appeal in any case.

In fact, given the size of the X30, the camera you wish for is almost the X-E1 or X-E2. Just build in a fixed, retractable (or partially retractable) zoom. I have the X-E1 and only two lenses: the 18mm f/2.0 and 27mm f/2.8 pancakes. It really is almost the camera you want with that smallish glass on it.

Back