Should we open up the forum to cameras of all types and sizes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do enjoy the conversations about DSLRs on here and would welcome a broader remit. I like the idea of "Slow Photography", it is a good aspiration and would be a phrase to capture the spirit of a lot of the exchanges here.

EDIT: One further thought, some of the brand forums are really quiet due to the dying off of interest in certain ranges of camera, while others are on the way up. Perhaps it could be a good time to rationalise some of the forums also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

I do think Bill is right about a "compact state of mind". After all I now regularly use a camera that I have to carry in both hands, and still post here rather than at LFF.

We've had this discussion a few times - how to keep the cosy/friendly/civil tone while at the same time broadening the user base ... it may not be possible, of course, and we might have to be prepared for things to be different

H Yeah, the burst rates are HIGHER, but you can't AF or see what you're shooting between shots so how could you ever have a camera like that?!?!? Well, I guess that's a legit concern for some number of sports and wildlife photographers, but I suspect it's not for a huge percentage of DSLR users. It's not for me.

-Ray

If you shoot people in a studio, one needs as little blackout time between captures as possible, I find the mirrorless times way to long.

If you shoot people in a studio, one needs as little blackout time between captures as possible, I find the mirrorless times way to long.

I guess I should have said for various types of practicing professionals. But still not for MOST of us. And, plus, isn't shooting people in a studio a form of wildlife? :cool:

-Ray

I'm good with this. Just add a DSLR sub forum. I find this forum more concerned with images and the idea of "carrying your camera with you". My old *ist D would have been happy here. I'm especially in favor of not limiting what images can be posted here.

If Serious Compacts adds a forum for DSLRs (and other cameras), it's not like the place is suddenly going to be over-run by Canon vs. Nikon arguments. I imagine that very likely it would remain more or less the same except that current users would start to share images made with their "dirty little secret" big cameras. And obviously, slowly new members would find the place out and either assimilate or move on.

People come together on forums to be around like-minded people and if this place has long established roots as a place for people who enjoy good images and generally prefer smaller cameras, I think a DSLR user who stumbles across the group because they are searching for a compact to use alongside their DSLR, they will either have a mindset that meshes with the community or they will move along until they find a community that better reflects what they are looking for.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I think it would play out.

If we add DSLR forums, nothing much will change here. But if we open it all the way up and change the name, it will change some, I'm starting to think for the better.

One of the things I like about SC is that some of my favorite people from Mu-43 who stopped using MFTs hang here. Likewise for FujiXspot, TalkEmount, and LeicaPlace friends who stop using those respective systems. When I see Ray saying he'll probably post less here since it's a site for smaller cameras, or Boid saying he's holding back some of his pictures, it's not a good feeling. Seems like a totally unnecessary barrier to me.

I'm not even convinced by the need to add a DSLR forum. There are forums a-plenty elsewhere for those who wish to discuss our cameras' larger cousins. There are also already plenty of images posted here which have been taken with DSLRs, so I'm not sure what adding such a forum really achieves. I suppose I can just ignore it and take part in all the other discussions as before. It just seems a bit unnecessary to me.

I'm not even convinced by the need to add a DSLR forum. There are forums a-plenty elsewhere for those who wish to discuss our cameras' larger cousins. There are also already plenty of images posted here which have been taken with DSLRs, so I'm not sure what adding such a forum really achieves. I suppose I can just ignore it and take part in all the other discussions as before. It just seems a bit unnecessary to me.

I agree, but apparently no one else does.

The thing that makes this forum, (and the other ones Amin has created), is that they are more focused than just the run of the mill, generic camera forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back