Black and white, or monochrome photos of people

Beautiful sense of light there, Miserere, surrounding that woman lost in her thoughts...smoke wafting. I clicked on it and will be heading back over to your site to see more of your S90 photos, for sure.Thank you!

Mal, which camera did you shoot this with - you know how some of us just need to know? LX5? I'd love to see it larger to appreciate the details more. The black and white tones look really nice!

Javier, love the last shot. A real odd couple. You'd think the guy would look a little more pleased about being approached by a pretty girl.

Miserere, agree with BBW on the smoker shot. Great candid moment.

Mal, really like the tones and the lines - not least on his shirt. I would also love to see a bigger version.

Pictor, dreaming of lost youth or bemused by contemporary youth. Nicely spotted moment. Were you waiting for this or did it just happen?

I just realized, I completely missed Javier's and Miserere's from the preceding page.:redface:

Javier, am I right that you're shooting from the hip, so to speak?

I agree with you Olli, that striped shirt on the fellow cleaning the steps in Mal's shot is what certainly pulled me in, too. And yes, Pictor - I know I've seen that shot before of yours and liked it the first time, too. You have a kind of a series or theme with mannequins going, if I recall.

One of my sons in not impressed

DP1
5071546150_00d44f1fce_b.jpg

Javier, am I right that you're shooting from the hip, so to speak?

Actually, I rarely if ever shoot from the hip. I am just not good at it. I usually hold the cam chest high or look through the view finder. I often drop to a knee as well to get a lower perspective, but I never hide. Infact, I am extremely obvious in my shooting. I love to get up close and personal and become a part of the scene. This is why I use short lenses. Before I hurt my Knee, I had started to shoot while riding my bike around different places. This gives a more straight ahead view, like bus stops and corners. Here is a link to my website I hope to have finished by the end of the year. But here is a page on shooting techniques which I will be updating soon.
street_shooting_tips
Thanks javier

Pictor, dreaming of lost youth or bemused by contemporary youth. Nicely spotted moment. Were you waiting for this or did it just happen?

It happened that I was only a few steps away when I saw the woman approaching the shop window dummies. I just took my camera to my eye and released the shutter and the result is one of my favorite pictures. BTW, the same picture (in color) can be found here.

I'm smiling - and laughing. Truth be told - I was limping around with my sprained ankle, going stir crazy, he took me out for a ride...I brought my camera - and sitting across from him, shot a few photos. Agreed about the cup, but maybe it's not so bad..it does give us a bit of context, albeit it oof context. And yes, if I'd had the wherewithal to get up and frame it - you're right that having some view room off to the left would have been good...though, truth be told it wasn't much of a view. ;-)

True, unposed. Believe me - all are unposed. I told my "beloved" what Ray had posted about how he must be a saint...(my beloved that is) and my husband asked why and said, "It's not as though you ever make me stop what I'm doing.":D

I think I should post the original, just for fun.

However, I really do want to say thank you for your compliments because they do mean a great deal to me. I know that we take our photographs for ourselves first and foremost, but it's good to hear that other people find something in them as well. So many thanks.

Hi BB

That's a good one! - you are building up quite a gallery of shots of your "better half" - (sorry)

That X1 thing is not bad you know - in fact it looks good value for money even at Leica prices - why did you sell it - was it just too big?

I tried the Nik software for the 15 day trial - it's good and makes "life simple" - but I'm not sure about the price, seems a bit "dear" to me - but I suppose I'll give in in the end as it's just a "put your credit card number in" step away

Best wishes

Back