Feedback Brainstorming a new name for the site

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a mission-statement sort of person because I have seen too much mission creep in the absence of one. I've expressed my concern that we will dilute our USP by doing this.

However think if we are doing it we need to be clear why we are worth joining - to continue to stand out from all the others. TOS don't have an impact on why people join, but I believe it's wrong not to be clear about what you stand for, thereby giving people insight into what to expect here and why they should or should not join.

Being friendly is not enough... Look what happened to the Friendly Islands...

Reactions: BBW
You know, whatever forums I've joined have never been because I read some sort of mission statement, let alone the terms of service or anything else really.

I rarely if ever read anything except posts before I join, and if they are covering the things I'm interested in and want to participate in the discussions, I join.

Or am I alone in this?

Paul, you make cameras out of cardboard, so in that sense you probably are alone. Having said that, I'm probably with you, just don't expect me to make cardboard cameras :D

Barrie

I agree that we should keep the existing name as this is a well established site that people refer to often, there can if deemed necessary by a sub division that covers DSLR so effectively still focussing on serious compacts but expanding an element to cover larger format/DSLR units.

I fear changing the name at this stage may cause some to leave as they have a strong allegiance to the current site/format.

Just my take on the matter.

Agree but I fear some have left because they have moved to another format

Some notes so far :-
This forum works for me because it is non specific and friendly
I arrived here when I was looking for advice on small pocket cameras
I didn’t join the Fuji X forum because the camera I bought was an F series & didn’t have an X in the name
I am an infrequent visitor to the other brand forums – as a result I miss out on a lot of fine photos

Gear and Photo

I like this one a lot. Bought it (gearandphoto.com) as a possible candidate. As much as I like the idea of being all about the photography, we've always, as a site, been largely about both the gear and the photos.

Even as it is now, SC has the broadest brief of any photography forum that I regularly visit in that it is inclusive of the widest range of brands and formats, and yet it is the smallest of them in terms of it's regular userbase.

I don't think I'd change it. I'd just put a sticky post up somewhere explaining that the emphasis is on smaller cameras, but that larger cameras are ok too. I think Serious Compacts is pretty well known out there and I don't think that becoming more explicitly inclusive means the emphasis, or name, needs to change.

-Ray

Right on, right on, say Amen, say Hallelujah. "A friendly place for photographers who travel light. All are welcome."

Cheers, Jock

I like this one a lot. Bought it (gearandphoto.com) as a possible candidate. As much as I like the idea of being all about the photography, we've always, as a site, been largely about both the gear and the photos.

Amin,

With all due respect (and love in my heart), I think gear and photo is way, way, WAY too generic. It's as generic as digital photography review. seriouscompacts, on the other hand, capsulizes what the main focus of the site is -- camera gear for folks who want to travel light and the photos taken with that gear.

I have no problem with -- in fact, I welcome -- reviews, comments, photos taken DSLRs, and nobody should feel guilty posting about them or photos taken with them.

But if you go with gearandphotos.com, I have a strong feeling that eventually the original intent will be overwhelmed.

Cheers, Jock

I'm a mission-statement sort of person because I have seen too much mission creep in the absence of one. I've expressed my concern that we will dilute our USP by doing this.

However think if we are doing it we need to be clear why we are worth joining - to continue to stand out from all the others. TOS don't have an impact on why people join, but I believe it's wrong not to be clear about what you stand for, thereby giving people insight into what to expect here and why they should or should not join.

Being friendly is not enough... Look what happened to the Friendly Islands...

I agree. One exercise that I've tried in the past when working on branding projects (and this is a branding project) is to put together a list of description words. These words help characterize the most visible/important aspects, and from there a name might emerge or at least be derived.

For example, when I think of Serious Compacts, I think of:

smart
photos
community
global
helpful
quality
gear-focused but not gear-obsessed
sensible
supportive
marketplace
congenial

Feel free to add/edit/upvote particular words

For example, when I think of Serious Compacts, I think of:

smart
photos
community
global
helpful
quality
gear-focused but not gear-obsessed
sensible
supportive
marketplace
congenial

Feel free to add/edit/upvote particular words

I think a few of those could make it into a tagline, eg:

Gear and Photo
Friendly, international, gear-focused but not gear-obsessed, photographer community

One of the things I like about this forum is how laid back this place is. It reminds me of a cigar lounge or a jazz lounge. Like in the other thread, lots of folks here came from mu-43.com. For me, this is my shelter from the madness over there sometimes, and I feel like I can enjoy photography in a different way here. Somehow I think we need to emphasize that in the name too.

Just my two pennies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back