Feedback Brainstorming a new name for the site

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Contemplative Photographer
The Considered Photo
SlowPhotography

How about SlowPho.com

Slow is a popular adjective these days; SloPho rhymes, which I think is good; and it sounds like a popular neighborhood somewhere, which I guess we sort of want to be.

Now up to16 pages with no consensus. Seems like Serious Compacts is still the best choice. Maybe a + added is the logical option

There was never any chance of consensus, only discussion. For the reasons John articulated so well here earlier in the thread, we're going to open up and have a name to match. It's a risky thing to do that, and I know it. But it's who we are now, whether we want to be it or not.

If everyone were on the same page talking about and posting images only from the GR, Coolpix A, Leica X-Vario, LX5, G1X II, RX100 II, and other very small cameras, that would be a different story. It's true that what brings people here is the hook that we're about serious, small cameras. But what we have here is a fantastic community of photographers who like all kinds of gear.

So the subforums have been added, and the name is going to change. It won't be Serious Compacts or Serious Compacts +. It's not going to reference compacts, small cameras, or traveling light.

The fact that Lightmancer hates my top pick (Gear & Photo) weighs heavily on me, as do the other negative impressions. But he also hated at least two of my other top picks and has had strong negative reactions to others as well. So I feel better knowing that the one I'm considering is just one of many that you hate, Bill :).

We're not a group that's all or mostly about photos. We're a lot about gear, and we always have been. Yes there are exceptions, but I'm talking about the community as a whole. Many of the great names that have been proposed are either very long, hard to spell, difficult to spell from hearing, or already taken (lots and lots already taken).

So I'm not going to pull the trigger yet, but it will be soon, and unless someone comes up with an alternative that is available (.com without hyphens strongly preferred), reasonably short, easy to remember, and not completely inaccurate in describing our community, then it's going to be G&P.

FWIW, I've always hated the name Serious Compacts. I always thought it sounded pompous......ooooooh, you people and your little cameras are so SERIOUS. LOL. So whatever it turns out to be won't be the end of the world. And if I'm wrong and it DOES turn out to be the end of the world, then we don't have anything to worry about anyways since we'll all be vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back