Nikon Why I sometimes shoot with a big ugly DSLR

Luke, I dug up a couple more pictures that show the context a bit better. As you can see, when I shot these, the structure was very much a work in progress. The cafeteria is located on the 7th floor of a parking lot directly connected to the WTC next to it.

eJczozr.jpg

I like the vaulted forms and how they echo but not mimic the curvature of the neighboring facade. The strong columns and spring are a nice contrast to the glass and thin shell roof. I also like the details in the clerestory windows and how the thick beam help humanize the scale.

Cool!

Oh, and btw, dSLRs don't have to be big or ugly

10799396674_b83a3834e8_c.jpg
RICOH PENTAX K-3 Unboxed by john m flores, on Flickr

Well that's a Pentax. Everyone loves a Pentax and their tiny tiny DA primes. Where's my full frame, Pentax??! <---- that's pretty much the rallying cry on the internet

I just traded my Leica X Vario with all the accessories mind you, for one camera that is in many ways, the exact opposite. Enter the Canon EOS 1D Mkiii. This brings up a point that I wanted to make about all things being relative. It seems I live with a system for several months, then the weakest attributes of the present system, i.e. slow af, poor low light performance, manifests itself and overcompensates in the next iteration of camera choice. The Leica, for me was a very contemplative approach to shooting. The Canon, fast and bang on. I love adapting and learning a new piece so big bad DSLR it is for the moment.

Back