Something really bothers me about this marketing video...

I guess the conversation can't get past the tag line, lol.

I really did think the video communicated some pretty lonely emptiness, but on both here and mu43, no one can get past the unfortunate tag line.

I haven't seen the video cause I can't be bothered to get off the sofa and walk over to the puter ... but are we all sure its not a parody?

I actually prefer to be by myself most of the time. Being alone doesn't necessarily mean one is lonely.

And trust me, if she didn't WANT to be alone, she wouldn't need to be.

Being alone is onething, but taking endless selfies, and posting them to the internet. Just strikes me as a false community.

Maybe it's just the weather outside today (a little gray).

but here's a pretty good review of the EPL7, with good examples of selfies of more than one person (what is a two person selfie??)

All of the selfies are probably for her Match.com profile...

I've never really gotten the whole idea of "selfies" anyway. I guess it's one of those cultural phenomena that took hold while I wasn't paying attention and was ubiquitous by the time I finally noticed. I get that sometimes you want a photo of you or you and your family in some great vacation spot when nobody else is there to take it, and that's what self-timers and tripods were for. But the ideas of taking all of these selfies all over the place and posting them on Facebook or Instagram or where-ever one posts them I just don't get. There is much that I don't get. I'm OK with that - I think I'd be more upset if I DID get them!

But as Luke says, it's VERY possible to be alone and not be lonely. I'd even contend that being able to be comfortably alone is a pretty important thing for anyone to be able to do. I have a family and a few close friends, but I spend a good deal more of my waking hours alone that with other people, with the possible exception of my wife, but I think it's still true even if I include her in the calculation... It's not a bad thing at all... But I don't need a photo of myself alone to know I was there! Let alone an actual camera with design features specifically intended to facilitate the practice. Isn't aht was camera phones are for?

-Ray

But I don't need a photo of myself alone to know I was there! Let alone an actual camera with design features specifically intended to facilitate the practice. Isn't that was camera phones are for?

yup, but Olympus doesn't sell telephones. They're trying to show camera phone users that if you are stylish, young, and well-to-do that you need a camera. It's even MORE FUN than a camera phone. Touch Selfie!

Back