LeicaPlace

Think Tank Photo

Introducing the New Retrospective®5 Camera Bag

Mu-43

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Real Name
    BB

Mac OS 10.7 Lion - who's using it?

So who here has gotten it and used it? I did a bit of a search this afternoon, avoiding the intense heat, and found a discussion on Luminous Landscapes that made things sound pretty darn good. Someone there gave a link to Adobe's page with some helpful info: Known Issues with Adobe products on Mac OS 10.7 Lion

NiK software has this to say: Nik Software, Inc. | Support There apparently are no issues with Lightroom but there are some with Photoshop CS5. You should take a read through.

I'm waiting a bit to read and hear more from some of you fearless leader types.
    BB

**an evolving photographer.

~ BB's Flickr photostream & Flickriver or Fluidr

I'm waiting till the initial bugs are exterminated.
    Usually takes 5-10 days....

3. The following member thanks Streetshooter for this post:
    Real Name
    Antonio

I am afraid to try it. I think I read somewhere that Lion does not include (or work with) Rosetta. I believe, although i´m not sure, that my printer driver (Epson 3800) requires Rosetta to work, and I know for a fact that my screen calibrator software (Spyder 2) requires Rosetta to work. So, if Lion does not support Rosetta, I am SOL.

In addition, Nik Software´s statement regarding Lion and Nik plugins for PS CS5 did not make me feel warm and fuzzy. I will definitely have to wait and see.

Regards,

Antonio

Edit:

This article confirms what I wrote above about incompatibility with Power PC apps and Rosetta:

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=439...04EF424B8D8C7F

New calibrator software may be in my future, but that still leaves the printer driver question open.
    Last edited by ajramirez; July 23rd, 2011 at 06:55 PM.

5. The following member thanks ajramirez for this post:

Well BB, of course I have it, I was one of the one million that downloaded it the first day. What a money pit this is for Mac!!! It is much faster, many changes of optics to reflect the iPad, for instance, the iCal, the iMail, the address book, just cosmetic changes but they are nice to see. I am sure that there are many things buried that I won't need or ever use...but....is much faster with Safari!

7. The following member thanks Bill Gordon for this post:

I've installed it on my 4 year old 15" MacBook Pro. I haven't had a chance to figure out all the new features yet as I'm at home with family and spending time enjoying them.

So far it seems to be working ok. I wasn't aware about the Lion Migration Utility and probably should have run that first as I've had to update some of my default browser login/passwords.

But other than that so far so good. BTW, Aperture seems to be a little faster with the update.

9. The following member thanks Duane Pandorf for this post:
    Real Name
    Sue

I've downloaded, copied to DVD and have NOT installed after perusing roaringapps.com and found that most of what I use is incompatible or hasnt been tested. So I will wait until updates are issued for those apps.
    Sue
    --------------------
    Bill convinced me. I'm on ipernity now
    Gear: Mostly Nikon V1+J1, but also the Fuji X100, and the Pentax K-5 seems to be back in use again.

Real Name
    Stephen

I will download and install this weekend - I just have not had time. It doesn't take long at all if you just download and upgrade, but I am going to take the opportunity to do a clean install.

I will, of course, make sure I have everything thoroughly backed up.

I don't have any Rosetta applications.

There don't appear to be any bugs with the OS itself, or even with other applications. Some have not been updated, but of course that's just a timing issue, not a bug.

What I will likely do is upgrade my clone first, and run everything off that and see what happens.

Good guide to the things to look for, and a 'how to' on the upgrade:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1610...tml?lsrc=top_3
    Last edited by Pelao; July 23rd, 2011 at 08:04 PM.

12. The following member thanks Pelao for this post:

I have it installed on one computer. I did loose an old version of Office, but that is no big deal as iWorks. I have not installed it on the other computes as I am still getting use to it, while I sort of like it I am not blown away by it.
    Grant

Home Pages : http://sideways-glance.com/

14. The following member thanks Grant for this post:
    Real Name
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Pelao View Post
    I will download and install this weekend
    Don't forget to copy the installer to another location BEFORE you install because it self-deletes. You dont want to have to download more than once. I must confess I am NOT happy about having to download, I would rather pay more, and get a hard copy thats boxed and legal.
    Sue
    --------------------
    Bill convinced me. I'm on ipernity now
    Gear: Mostly Nikon V1+J1, but also the Fuji X100, and the Pentax K-5 seems to be back in use again.

16. The following member thanks kyteflyer for this post:

Real Name
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
    Don't forget to copy the installer to another location BEFORE you install because it self-deletes. You dont want to have to download more than once. I must confess I am NOT happy about having to download, I would rather pay more, and get a hard copy thats boxed and legal.
    Yes, I read about the deleting. Apparently a thumb drive version will be available in August, but for a higher price. I would rather just download and copy it.

I am OK with downloading. I do it for other software and just keep a record of the key. It is new for an OS, but really seems sensible and simple enough to copy it to a DVD or USB drive. It does seem odd, but that's progress.

18. The following member thanks Pelao for this post:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast