Mac OS 10.7 Lion - who's using it?

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
So who here has gotten it and used it? I did a bit of a search this afternoon, avoiding the intense heat, and found a discussion on Luminous Landscapes that made things sound pretty darn good. Someone there gave a link to Adobe's page with some helpful info: Known Issues with Adobe products on Mac OS 10.7 Lion

NiK software has this to say: Nik Software, Inc. | Support There apparently are no issues with Lightroom but there are some with Photoshop CS5. You should take a read through.

I'm waiting a bit to read and hear more from some of you fearless leader types.;)

I am afraid to try it. I think I read somewhere that Lion does not include (or work with) Rosetta. I believe, although i´m not sure, that my printer driver (Epson 3800) requires Rosetta to work, and I know for a fact that my screen calibrator software (Spyder 2) requires Rosetta to work. So, if Lion does not support Rosetta, I am SOL.

In addition, Nik Software´s statement regarding Lion and Nik plugins for PS CS5 did not make me feel warm and fuzzy. I will definitely have to wait and see.

Regards,

Antonio

Edit:

This article confirms what I wrote above about incompatibility with Power PC apps and Rosetta:

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=4393598E-1A64-6A71-CE04EF424B8D8C7F

New calibrator software may be in my future, but that still leaves the printer driver question open.

Well BB, of course I have it, I was one of the one million that downloaded it the first day. What a money pit this is for Mac!!! It is much faster, many changes of optics to reflect the iPad, for instance, the iCal, the iMail, the address book, just cosmetic changes but they are nice to see. I am sure that there are many things buried that I won't need or ever use...but....is much faster with Safari!

I've installed it on my 4 year old 15" MacBook Pro. I haven't had a chance to figure out all the new features yet as I'm at home with family and spending time enjoying them.

So far it seems to be working ok. I wasn't aware about the Lion Migration Utility and probably should have run that first as I've had to update some of my default browser login/passwords.

But other than that so far so good. BTW, Aperture seems to be a little faster with the update.

I will download and install this weekend - I just have not had time. It doesn't take long at all if you just download and upgrade, but I am going to take the opportunity to do a clean install.

I will, of course, make sure I have everything thoroughly backed up.

I don't have any Rosetta applications.

There don't appear to be any bugs with the OS itself, or even with other applications. Some have not been updated, but of course that's just a timing issue, not a bug.

What I will likely do is upgrade my clone first, and run everything off that and see what happens.

Good guide to the things to look for, and a 'how to' on the upgrade:

Installing Lion: Our complete guide

I have it installed on one computer. I did loose an old version of Office, but that is no big deal as iWorks. I have not installed it on the other computes as I am still getting use to it, while I sort of like it I am not blown away by it.

Don't forget to copy the installer to another location BEFORE you install because it self-deletes. You dont want to have to download more than once. I must confess I am NOT happy about having to download, I would rather pay more, and get a hard copy thats boxed and legal.

Yes, I read about the deleting. Apparently a thumb drive version will be available in August, but for a higher price. I would rather just download and copy it.

I am OK with downloading. I do it for other software and just keep a record of the key. It is new for an OS, but really seems sensible and simple enough to copy it to a DVD or USB drive. It does seem odd, but that's progress.

I would never thought of copying the software onto anything. Am I being obtuse? I just keep a record of the key, too - at least I hope I do!

As for the "Lion Migration Utility"...is that mentioned anywhere? These are the kinds of things I would expect to have laid out in a step by step process...so I am glad you all are posting. I will bide my time a little bit and probably rely on my pal Don to give me a hand. I am looking forward to some of the new stuff, however!

I would never thought of copying the software onto anything. Am I being obtuse? I just keep a record of the key, too - at least I hope I do!

As for the "Lion Migration Utility"...is that mentioned anywhere? These are the kinds of things I would expect to have laid out in a step by step process...so I am glad you all are posting. I will bide my time a little bit and probably rely on my pal Don to give me a hand. I am looking forward to some of the new stuff, however!

Hi
With past changes to a new version of the OS, Apple (like everyone else) issued the new system via a DVD, and you could use that to update your various Macs. As you will have noticed, most everyday software is now issued by download, and they have decided to push forward and do this for the OS too.

It's a large download, about the size of a full size movie. In order to clear space on your drive, when the update is finished the download auto deletes. So if you have multiple Macs to update, or want to keep a copy of the update, just copy it to a DVD or USB stick. Previous updates were $129 or so - so this is pretty good value.

One of the advantages of a DVD was that you could boot from it (insert DVD, restart holding down option key and select the DVD when offered) and do repairs to your core drive. With Lion there is no DVD, but they have added a new utility allowing the same functionality. Well thought out and pretty cool.

As I noted earlier I am going to update a clone of my drive. My backups consist of a clone, a TM backup and then separate backups for photos. So I will just clone my Mac (using free software SuperDuper), then boot from the clone, download Lion, copy it and then install on the clone.

Then I basically can run my MacPro off the clone with Lion installed and play with my stuff and look for issues - and I wll be looking at PS, LR and Nik etc.

I know a bunch of updated machines, no issues. The new OS offers some nice productivity developments and UI refinements, and even stronger security. Nothing that will harm or transform your world, so it's fine to wait for a bit.

You are too optimistic. In my opinion one should not use a new operating system before the first service pack. It is better to wait at least until 10.7.1 has arrived.

As I am running it off a clone and have my Snow leopard available to boot from at any time, I feel very safe in playing with it now. So far there are not any bugs in the OS itself, and it is mainly software vendors who will issue updates (many already have). This is a very mature, solid update.

All that said though, I agree with Pictor's advice. Very sensible. I use Macs for work and am comfortable and confident in problem solving etc. But I will likely wait a while before updating the Macs for other other family members.

Snow Leopard is solid and effective. No need to rush.

Back