Show "Graffiti"

Oh shucks! There I thought you were going to give me the great learned history of George Wood. I even "googled" him... I know there was a cricket player...

Still, a very nice signature.

James, I didn't get the chance to say how much here I like your found signature as well. You already knew I liked it over on Flickr.;)

that's very nice James; the slight blurring from the longish exposure doesn't detract from the shape or content at all, and I'd urge everyone to click through to the original full-size image and look at some of the background details !

James already knows how much I like that dark night in graffiti alley image because I asked him to post it in here. And you are so right pdh about clicking through and see the photograph in its largest size. I think this is an important thing to do whenever possible. Thanks for urging us all to do it!

pdh, yours is very touching and sad. I did look at it in its largest size but it is still difficult for me to read that second word. I don't want to type a "spoiler" ... I am 99% sure I know what the author/artist meant, however. *I now know what that word is. It does change the meaning quite a bit from what I thought it was. That said, the image and the way you've chosen to photograph it is just as good as I first thought it was.... Now my reaction is more of a nodding, wry smile.

that's very nice James; the slight blurring from the longish exposure doesn't detract from the shape or content at all, and I'd urge everyone to click through to the original full-size image and look at some of the background details !

Thanks pdh - thanks to BB as she was saying above. I took this photo a week ago but didn't like it when I uploaded it to my computer so I've been sitting on it the whole time and not uploaded it. In fact I was telling BB I didn't even notice the grafitti on the walls until she pointed it out! It was actually raining when I took this photo, so I was more worried about not getting the camera wet. I didn't have the luxury of taking my time with this photo, I was standing under a shade and jumping out into the rain to take a couple of snaps and then jumping back under the shade. What grabbed me about this laneway wasn't the grafitti (which I missed) but it was how the rain looked on the cobblestones and the sporadic lighting along the length of the laneway and the people in the distance.

This photo is one occasion when I wish I had my LX5 (with its smaller sensor and deeper depth of field) with me because I took this photo with the aperture wide open at f/1.4 with the M8, there was no way I could have taken a photo of this dark laneway with a smaller aperture. In doing so, the depth of field was going to be very shallow, which meant a significant part of the photo was going to be out of focus. With that in mind, in this photo I focused on the bright windows at the far end of the laneway and hoped it came out alright. So the slight blurring is actually due to shallow depth of field (and probably a dirty UV/IR filter which I probably could have removed). I was able to keep a handheld-friendly shutter speed because I metered on relatively brighter aspects of the scene (but I also note the lights look blown out still).

I wonder how the LX5 would have handled this particular low light shot though, I've found that while the LX5 handles low light very well, it sometimes has a tendency to exhibit a bit of noise in dark areas.

I did look at it in its largest size but it is still difficult for me to read that second word. I don't want to type a "spoiler" ... I am 99% sure I know what the author/artist meant, however.

I think I understand what the message is, although I also think it was done slightly tongue-in-cheek because it's so small that it forces people to lean in to read it properly, only to realise what it is saying.....

Wall painted by school kids

This wall at the Fountain Park was painted by school aged kids several years ago. It is due to be redone soon as you can see several large chips missing..

Shot in Panorama mode:

DSC02298.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC02299.JPG

DSC02300.JPG

Back