Film Fun with film cameras (Image thread)

Argus A2F Photographs

Finding myself with a bit of free time on a very beautiful Saturday, I decided I would try taking some pictures with a 70 year old camera.

I know we have forum members who probably do this regularly, but this is a new experience for me. The camera in question, in all likelihood, had not had film run through it since the 1950s.

The camera is a 1940 Argus A2F, which belonged to my grandfather and has been in my possession for the last 20 years or so. The rubber bits that held the film pressure plate had rotted away, so I had to take care of that before it could be loaded. I also gave the lens as good a cleaning as I could.

The Argus A2F is a rather simple and spartan camera. The body is made from Bakelite (plastic), and it has a collapsible F4.5 lens of unknown (at least to me) focal length. Since it has no rangefinder, focusing is strictly by scale. Of course, it has no exposure meter.

The shutter is self cocking, with four shutter speeds (25, 50, 100, 200), T and B. The aperture scale starts at 4.5 and continues in the old fashioned method of half stops (6.3, 9, 12.7, 18). There is no double exposure protection; you have to remember to advance the film immediately after each shot.

In use, it is a very different experience from shooting with a modern camera. Guessing both distance to subject and exposure gives you a feeling of flying blind which is actually fun. The camera is very light and compact, and the shutter is whisper quiet.

The results are nothing to write home about, but to me it was a thrill to shoot with a camera which was actually used by my grandfather to take baby and childhood pictures of my father.

Here are some shots. Not great (or even good) by any means, but a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

img209.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

img208.jpg

img207.jpg

img204.jpg

img202.jpg

img201.jpg

img200.jpg

Shot on Kodak BW 400 Chromogenic film. Only B&W film I can get locally developed.

This is the camera:

2150624.jpg

Cheers,

Antonio

In use, it is a very different experience from shooting with a modern camera. Guessing both distance to subject and exposure gives you a feeling of flying blind which is actually fun. The camera is very light and compact, and the shutter is whisper quiet.

The results are nothing to write home about, but to me it was a thrill to shoot with a camera which was actually used by my grandfather to take baby and childhood pictures of my father.

Here are some shots. Not great (or even good) by any means, but a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Antonio, thanks for your post, your pictures and your thoughts. You've made me feel think about my father and wonder why I got rid of his old camera, unless it could still be hiding somewhere in the basement abyss.

It's cool to see some familiar images taken with this oldie but goodie.(y)

Oldie but goodie

I know you said current photo (Amin), my thinking is I currently have this one in my possession. Having said that I would like to share this with my fellow shooters at the request of a fellow shooter.

I was an avid film guy in the late 60's through the 80's and yes my bathroom was the stay out kids or else, dark room. A cousin gave me an old Rollie box camera (2 1/4) that I used for abit.

One this day (early 70's) I was traveling (Hawaii) up an old country road in the mountains and noticed this home off the road. So I stopped and photographed the enterence looking in, opting not to walk in any futher. And this is what I got:

Old_Pali_road_home.jpg

I have since over the years gone home and revisited that driveway many times only to find (as of Jan of 2000) the entire area bulldozed over and a new home built.

I am so gald I did take that photo way back then as a reminder of how life once was.
Hope you like it and thanks for reading my little story.

Cheers all,
Pete

ps. well I can see I clearly burnt in the sky (top middle) a bit too much. so much to learn, so little time

1953 Kodak Signet 35

Continuing with my stroll down memory lane, here are some shots from yesterday taken with a 1953 Kodak Signet 35 camera.

As I may have mentioned before, one of the first cameras I used, at the tender age of 11, was a Kodak Signet 35 which belonged to my grandfather. Even though it is the same model, these pictures were not taken with my grandfather's camera, as it no longer works. This particular camera was recently purchased through eBay, from a seller who had overhauled it to an absolutely pristine condition.

This is worlds apart from the Argus A2F I recently wrote about. Although more than 50 years old, it feels like a modern mechanical camera. The only giveaways as to its age (other than its styling) are the manually cocked shutter, manually set film counter, and the lack of an exposure meter.

The coupled and combined rangefinder/viewfinder is small but bright and clear, particularly in my recently overhauled sample. The Ektar lens is wonderfully sharp and contrasty; my mediocre scans do not do it justice.

This time, I did use an exposure meter: the pocket light meter application for the iPhone or iPod touch. It works nicely.

Some shots of my son:

img002.jpg

img009.jpg

img003.jpg

img007.jpg

img006.jpg

img010.jpg

My grandfather's camera (the recently purchased one is much cleaner, but I do not have a picture of it):

2150620.jpg

Cheers,

Antonio

surfer boy

yes, this is a fun thread and I love the old cameras being used here (both big and small)....

Here are a few more shots from my younger dayz in Hawaii during the 70's though (not very current).

Back then I could stroll the beaches with my shirt off and no one would laugh at me :tongue:

pipe1.JPG

pipe4.JPG

pipe3.JPG

pipe5.JPG

These were posted on another thread...hope you all dont mind....Thanks all.
I love the vibe and attitude here. Keep it fresh, keep it honest and keep it real!

Antonio, that is very cool about your new (old) camera! I really enjoy reading the story line that goes along with it and your grandfather - and agree with Javier about your son! I was just thinking how in the last year, how much he has changed! We, of course, never change but these young people surely do.;) He's growing up and going from cute to handsome!!

Pete, talk about catching the wave - and the light! I feel as though I can hear "Pipeline" in the background! And no one would dare laugh even now, as you walked down the beach because we know you'd just smile down at them and take their picture.:D Lovely slick, wet and wild quality in all of these.

Some Contax G2 shots taken back in 2001.

img085.jpg

img076.jpg

img098.jpg

img100.jpg

img103.jpg

img107.jpg

All taken on Kodak Elite Chrome 100.

Cheers,

Antonio

Oldie favorites

Love this thread!

Here are a few oldies (from the 70's, sorry can't resist). I believe the camera was a
Minolta srt 101.... so long ago. Enjoy

7902.JPG

Loved to go around the island looking for things to shoot.

7903.JPG

A favorite fishing place and a great place to park and watch the whales at nite:D

3_keikis.jpg

My kids here on the left and my niece on right were the center of my focus.
Hours and hours of shooting portraits. They didn't like it then,,,but love it now.

5850.jpg

My oldest son, he's not as innocent as he looks.

Thanks for looking,
Pete

update: I just realized my son is holding a spot attachent for a light meter,
so I believe now the camera was a nikon F photomic.

img076.jpg

All taken on Kodak Elite Chrome 100.

Cheers,

Antonio

Antonio, I don't think I can say thank you enough. I've singled out my favorite here. I know this cemetery from your more recent digital photographs. At least I am thinking it's the same place.

This image knocks me out with its power. Beautifully seen and photographed.

BB,

It's the same place. Photos nos. 2, 3, 4 and 5 were taken at Cementerio Santa Maria Magdalena de Pazzis in Old San Juan, as was the photo of the cross and the flag you saw earlier. I believe I have no less than four separate sets of photos taken at the cemetery, only the last of which was taken with a digital camera.

I had not looked at these slides probably since they were developed. Although the colors are slightly exaggerated, I believe it's a nice look.

I think the combination of analog slides and digital technology works well. In the past, I never had prints made of my slides, mostly because of the expense, but also because the results were mostly quite poor. Yesterday, I printed the first two photos of this set for the first time, and the prints look fine.

Last but not least, BB, thank you very much for your kind comments. I always appreciate and enjoy your feedback on my photos.

Best regards,

Antonio

Thanks, Antonio, I'm glad to know that they were taken at that same lovely Cementerio Santa Maria Magdalena de Pazzis in Old San Juan - yes, that flag with the cross is what I was recalling because it is another of yours that is a favorite of mine. It's a good thing you looked at those slides! I agree that the colors do give the pictures a great look, actually - I love them.

So did you scan the slides or ? I'm not sure how that would translate digitally speaking?

So did you scan the slides or ? I'm not sure how that would translate digitally speaking?

The slides were scanned using an Epson V500 Photo scanner. I've found the scanner works great with non-Kodachrome slides and chromogenic B&W film, so-so but workable with Kodachrome slides and regular B&W film, and god awful with color negatives.

I asked this in a different thread, but will ask here again. If anyone here is successfully scanning color negatives, I would be most appreciative if they could share their workflow with me.

Cheers,

Antonio

Back