Ricoh The new A16 zoom lens module announced!

I'd have preferred less zoom but faster lens, if a trade off is needed. I'd be happier with a 18-50/f2.8-3.5.

I recently picked up a cheapo Sigma 18-50/2.8-4.5 for the K5. Slightly larger than the kit 18-55 and the DA18-135. But internal zoom, HSM motor, and OIS. That internal zoom thing is awesome.

Armanius, I realize it's been months since you posted the above... but how has the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8-4.5 worked out on the K-5? I've got a DA* 16-50 f/2.8, which is big and heavy, and a DA 16-45 f/4, which isn't bad. But I'm always on the lookout for lighter, high-quality zooms in that general range.

I just picked up a GXR + A16 and have shot a few frames with it. My first impressions are pretty good. It seems to have a very conservative noise reduction scheme, that is to say it doesn't appear to start smoothing anything until one sets the iso to at least 800 and the noise reduction to "strong". It isn't the cleanest looking noise-wise that I've seen from this sensor (16mp Sony CMOS), that would be the NEX C3/5n, but it does look a lot more natural. I know that's a tough feeling to convey, suffice to say, the Sony's (less so the Nikon's that use this sensor) look funny to my jaded eyes... they look Sony-esque, for lack of a better term... this camera looks more Kodak-esque...and I don't mean easy-share!! haha! More Portra or Ektar... The lens is very good, I see no issues with it's sharpness, it does have some moderate barrel distortion at the wide end. The shutter is the quietest I've ever used! Almost inaudible! Appears to be a leaf shutter. Flash sync all the way to 1/1000 @ f3.5, faster as you go to smaller apertures, 1/3200 @ f9. One thing I'm not thrilled about is the AWB is off by a mile under anything but day-time daylight. Not sure where they went wrong, I think the other GXR camera units have been o.k. in this area. I'll post some pictures as I have the time to take some decent ones. All in all, I think it was worth the $450.00 usd I gave the slightly bewildered gentleman who took only 200-something pictures and before I left asked me... "Why the heck did my son-in-law buy me this thing? I asked for a Rebel..." Haha!! At least he didn't say "smartphone"... I might have become sick on his carpet...:eek:

Back