Apple iPad Processing

Took some XZ-1 photographs of Tom's feet this morning (you know how it is, not going out, want to shoot something, watch out, cat!) and instead of doing the usual, and uploading to the computer, then processing and uploading to flickr, I used the SD connector and uploaded to the new iPad. Then I played with the shots in Filterstorm (BRILLIANT app, forget photoshop express!) and also in Phototoaster. I haven't yet posted the Filterstorm effort, there didnt seem to be an option to upload direct to flickr. Decided to forget snapseed for this one, just wanted to do some basic processing with brightness and contrast, levels, sharpening. Also desaturated a tad, he isnt bright yellow :)

Anyway, here's the result.

View attachment 51233
tom's feet by kyte50, on Flickr

I think the thing that pleases me most about this is that I can actually see MUCH better on the new iPad. On the MBP 13" its OK, I can see well enough, likewise the iMac... but with the screen on the iPad, its just that much easier to see what you are doing: also you become much more involved in the process, being closer to the screen. I can see a time in the future where I might well sell this ipad, go for a 64G wifi/4G and forget using the imac at all. I only kept it for the bigger screen. Don't think I need that anymore.

[edit] seems like the default upload setting is 800x600 and can't find anywhere to change that. I dont want the full sized shot up there but I do want a bit bigger than that.

Nice stuff. I am also a big fan of FS PRO. You can download other templates created by users. You can load direct to flickr.......just click on the + sign for destinations and add as a destination from drop down list. You can decide if public or not and if iptc settings shown etc

Nice stuff. I am also a big fan of FS PRO. You can download other templates created by users. You can load direct to flickr.......just click on the + sign for destinations and add as a destination from drop down list. You can decide if public or not and if iptc settings shown etc

Thanks for that, Pete. I dont yet have the Pro version but have this morning put it on my wishlist. I really don't think I'll bother with photoshop touch.

Sue, I looked at FS Pro in the App Store, and it had several really poor reviews. I need to understand that more before adding that to the toolkit.

For now, Snapseed and Photogene are primaries for me, with Filterstorm and Photo fx Ultra in the second tier. As I haven't moved up from iPad 1, PS Touch isn't an option.

P.S. Missed your reference to Snapseed in your original post; sorry about that.

Sue, I looked at FS Pro in the App Store, and it had several really poor reviews. I need to understand that more before adding that to the toolkit.

For now, Snapseed and Photogene are primaries for me, with Filterstorm and Photo fx Ultra in the second tier. As I haven't moved up from iPad 1, PS Touch isn't an option.

P.S. Missed your reference to Snapseed in your original post; sorry about that.

I didnt read the reviews, but it is quite expensive for what it is (and $5 more than the Adobe offering). I'll go back and read the reviews and make a decision then, but I really like the lite version. I'm not sure about photogene. Had a free version IIRC, and dumped it. Perhaps it needs another look. There are so many apps for processing, its hard to sort wheat from chaff. Also there are no subdivisions for camera/processing/junk, which makes the weeding more difficult. Working on it though :)

I went on a photo app binge when I first bought my iPhone, and I have literally dozens of apps that I used once or twice before settling into a handful. Then the iPad came along, and processing on the iPhone became a thing of the past. Photogene was the original "must-have" iPad app, and I just stuck with it. It looks like the new version of Filterstorm (now 4 I believe) is worth a closer look; I will do that!

Back