Show Clouds Sunrise/Sunset

Sunset Over the Marine Corps War Memorial

A cropped picture of the top of the Marine Corps War Memorial as the sun sets in the West over the Arlington National Cemetery.

IMG_0284.jpg

S95; iso 200; f/3.2; 1/1250; 10.7 mm; w/built in flash

The light effect is caused by ice crystals I was told. It looked as cool in real life as the picture. Never saw anything like it again.

[/IMG]

It is indeed caused by ice crystals. It is called Light pillar or often a sun pillar or solar pillar. It can be seen in the morning or evening. It is usually associated with the sun but the bright moon and street lights can create similar but not as dynamic effects. It happens more often that most people think it does. If you wait and keep looking in the right direction I am sure you will see them again and again.

I guess I have a thing for dramatic sunsets or sunrises.:D
Being in Texas doesn't hurt any! I grew up in the southwest and, while I find plenty to love about the other places I've lived, I'll NEVER see sunsets like the ones from my youth on any sort of consistent basis again. I was almost too young to appreciate it but they were so incredible that the memory has really stuck through all of these years away. And the occasional visit is all it takes to rekindle missing the place...

-Ray

Wow, Kathy - are we talking your newest little camera here? The difference in color is amazing - it's been pretty wild here lately too. Winter skies can be breathtaking - as is evidenced in yours, that's for sure!

Back