Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Real Name
    Chuck

X100 Very Slow Startup

According to the manual, the Camera should start up in ~2.2 seconds; however, I find that mine takes 8-10 seconds! Obviously an eternity when a photo op comes along. Any idea why I may be experiencing this? Settings? SD card? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Chuck

Fuji X100/X10/X-E1/X-E2, Panasonic LX7/LF1

Real Name
    Jack

Might be a card related issue. How do you transfer the files off the card to the computer, and what type of computer do you use?
    Armanius
    My Flickr
    Current Gear: A little bit of this and a little bit of that, but want more!

3. The following member thanks Armanius for this post:

Real Name
    Julien

One thing you should do first is format the SD card using the X100 format function in the menus. And update the firmware to 1.21.

5. The following member thanks Julien for this post:

Real Name
    Chuck

Armando, thanks. I was thinking card as well. I'm using a Patriot 16 GB Class 10 card at present. I'll try something else and/or format that card in-camera. I always use a card reader to move photos to my computers (iMac and Dell laptop) and iPad, never the camera cord.
    Chuck

7. The following member thanks Crsnydertx for this post:

Real Name
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar

If you upload to a Mac, or particularly an iPad, they write some sort of file to the card that seems to confuse the hell out of the Fuji's (ANY Fuji). Reformat in the camera after all uploads and it should clear ir up.

-Ray
    We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir

My Flickr Stream of Consciousness

9. The following member thanks Ray Sachs for this post:

Real Name
    Chuck

Armando and Julien: It's the card, and it's likely that I didn't format it before installing it in the X100. I just tried my 1GB card I use for firmware updates (used this week to upgrade to 1.21) and startup is normal. Just for the record, I'll report back after formatting the 16 GB card. Thanks again!
    Chuck

11. The following member thanks Crsnydertx for this post:

Real Name
    Chuck

Ray, thanks. If the iPad is doing it, that could be a little problematic. When traveling or just in a hurry, I use the iPad for first-pass processing but keep the originals on the card for later download to a real computer. If the iPad upload process writes info back to the card - perhaps a flag indicating which files have already been uploaded - and that's slowing things down, I may need to consider a Plan B for preserving photos until I get home. Oh, we'll, it's not the end of the world... :-)
    Chuck

Real Name
    Chuck

Okay, formatting the card did the trick! I've never had a camera where formatting solved a performance issue, so I have some bad habits there.

I'm also anxious to see whether use of the iPad is a factor per Ray's comment. Hope to know that soon.

Thanks again for all y'all's help! (Texas English...sorry)
    Chuck

14. The following member thanks Crsnydertx for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Crsnydertx View Post
    Ray, thanks. If the iPad is doing it, that could be a little problematic. When traveling or just in a hurry, I use the iPad for first-pass processing but keep the originals on the card for later download to a real computer. If the iPad upload process writes info back to the card - perhaps a flag indicating which files have already been uploaded - and that's slowing things down, I may need to consider a Plan B for preserving photos until I get home. Oh, we'll, it's not the end of the world... :-)
    Just flick the write protect switch on the card before connecting to a Mac or iPad, this prevents these hidden files being written. You just have to remember to switch it back before putting it back in the camera.

Malcolm from the suburbs

http://greyelm.weebly.com

16. The following member thanks greyelm for this post:

Real Name
    Jack

Apparently, if you transfer the files off the card into the computer by using one of Adobe's programs, the software writes something into the card. It supposedly doesn't happen if you use LR to off load the photos from the card. But it happens when using Camera Raw. Or something like that. So I read.

On a computer, I always off load the photos by just copying and pasting from the SD card into a photo directory that I create. I tried importing directly into LR one time, and didn't work well for me.

I have yet to try to off load photos from a SD card into the iPad.
    Armanius
    My Flickr
    Current Gear: A little bit of this and a little bit of that, but want more!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast