Leica Serious Compacts Podcast 6: Jono Slack and the Latest from Leica (Berlin Event)

Amin

Hall of Famer
Tonight, Jono Slack was kind enough to join me on the podcast despite being sleep-deprived and tired from travel to discuss the products unveiled at Leica's recent event in Berlin. In addition to attending the event, Jono has been using a prototype of the Leica M Monochrome, which he put through its paces during a recent trip to China. Jono was also given the new Leica X2 to tryout and spent some hands-on time with the new APO Summicron 50mm lens.

Jono has great insights into the new gear. I hope others enjoy our chat as much as I did.

You can listen to the 29-minute* episode here: http://media.seriouscompacts.com.s3.amazonaws.com/SCP-0006.mp3

*We originally planned to include our discussion in a single episode with a second discussion I recorded tonight with Armanius, Terry, and Bob, but given the length of that second discussion, I thought it would be better to keep them separate.

Podcast subscription options:
Subscribe in iTunes
Subscribe in another podcast client

Some of the things we mentioned in the podcast:
Jono's website: http://www.slack.co.uk
Jono's writeup of the M Monochrom: Henri - The Leica M Monochrom
Jono's images taken with the M Monochrome in China: M Monochrom in China
Jono's OM-D vs NEX-7 resolution comparison at GetDPI: OMD vs NEX7 - resolution - discuss - The GetDPI Photography Forums
DPReview's sample images from the M Monochrome: Leica M-Monochrom Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review
Reid Reviews (pay site): Welcome to ReidReviews
Peter Karbe video about developing the Leica APO Summicron 50/2 ASPH: Peter Karbe & the Leica APO-Summicron-M 50 mm f/2 ASPH. - YouTube

Just listened to the entire podcast and it's great! Was fully expecting to fall asleep as I just woke up not too long ago, but was thoroughly captivated by the discussion. Trouble is that I now want a M9M and the new 50 Cron!!! Haha. It'll never happen. But one can dream! :)

Great to hear Jono's voice as well. Now I can put a voice to the name and words!

Nicely done. Very insightful indeed.

I must admit my initial reaction to the new 50 Cron was rather negative due to the pricing. But having discussed it with Jono yesterday, I can appreciate the lens for what it is -- a specialty limited lens, which is not meant to replace the current "affordable" 50 Cron non-APO.

Great podcast. What a delightful guy! I never think its a terrible thing that Leica makes all of this high end stuff. And in some ways really pushes the species forward. But I rarely pay much attention to the details because, well, its not a neighborhood I shop in and I don't look at the photographs in such a way as to notice those small differences. So, I'm entertained and glad the envelope is still being pushed, but I'll stay firmly perched inside the envelope while others do the pushing. Still, nice to be kept apprised though.

-Ray

Back