Serious Compacts Podcast 7: Olympus E-M5 OM-D (and Friends)

Amin

Hall of Famer
This week we had an extra episode in the podcast. If you haven't done so, please check out Episode 6 in which Jono Slack and I discussed the latest from the Leica event in Berlin.

In Episode 7, Terry Banet, Landshark (Bob D'Amico), and Armanius joined me on the podcast. We set out to have a focused, relatively brief discussion of the Olympus OM-D E-M5, which we all own. As usual, we enjoyed ourselves and spent nearly two hours discussing not only the E-M5 but also the X-Pro 1, NEX-7, Pansonic G3/GH2, the latest from Leica, the face on Armanius' toe, and more.

You can listen to the episode here: http://media.seriouscompacts.com.s3.amazonaws.com/SCP-0007.mp3

Podcast subscription options:
Subscribe in iTunes
Subscribe in another podcast client

You can find Bob, Terry, and Armando here at Serious Compacts as well as on their respective photography sites:

A couple things discussed on the podcast:
OM-D sample handheld video (my son, the bunny): P5090042.mov - YouTube
DPReview X-Pro 1 Image Samples: Fujifilm X-Pro1 studio samples published, including Adobe Camera Raw conversions: Digital Photography Review

I've just listened to most of this and its weird, having been on the last couple of these but unable to join last night, I kept trying to interject, but nobody was listening! Would have loved to have joined you guys, would have definitely had some things to say about the OMD, but very little about the Leica stuff, but I'd have probably have been a thorn in everyone's side on the B&W Leica which, as I've noted elsewhere on the site, I just don't get.

But my real takeaway from the podcast is that I've called a few people from my vast network of contacts within the Panasonic camera division and they'll be reaching out to Armando very very soon to offer him the position of "New Camera Naming Czar"! He was born to do that! :D

Great job folks. I'd have loved to be there, but it was pretty cool just listening for a change too.

-Ray

It was fun as always but we did miss you Ray.. I do have to agree with Ray on this point about the OMD, which he has brought up in the past. The OMD is going to be a very nice street camera, between the tilt screen, the fast AF, the image stabilization , the nice fast wide lens and (sorry Olympus) it kinda looks like a toy. Playing at the market this morning almost nobody noticed it at all.

The O-MD is the first MFT camera where I've had someone approach me and ask if it was the new MFT owner. I was at a park with my kids and the guy who asked was a GX1 user :).

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2

It was a fun discussion as usual. Although getting expensive as I buy all of these cameras!

I went out and used the 12-50 kit lens more extensively today. Wish it were faster but the close focus capability makes it really useful. Will write blog post tonight about the X-pro1, NEX7 and OM-D

Here are some of the results:

_5120069.jpg

_5120076.jpg

_5120171.jpg

_5120164.jpg

Looks great for macro in a kit zoom, Terry. I kind of wish I had gotten one. Reminds me of my old Nikon 28-105 which went to 1:2, a lens I enjoyed a lot.

Thanks for another good dicussion. I haven't quite reached the end yet; I'll admit that my mind started to drift when the discussion moved onto b&w Leicas :redface:

Am I right in assuming that this was intended to be more of a "first impressions" discussion on the E-M5? I think perhaps that the earlier podcast on the X-Pro1 came across as being more of a in-depth user review. I don't intend that as a criticism, just an observation upon comparing the two podcasts.

How ironic!! Me too! Pondering whether to get a 12-50 or the 14-150.

The 12-50mm actually seems to be a decent if not stellar lens. I feel that it starts to struggle in the corners (particularly vignetting) at 12mm which I guess is to be expected. The zoom mechanism might take some getting used to, although it does offer the choice of both the power zoom and also lets you click the zoom ring down which turns it into a very scratchy feeling manual zoom. At this point I don't see it replacing my Panny 14-140mm as my standard zoom lens, but it does have the advantage of being a lot lighter than that lens.

Thanks for another good dicussion. I haven't quite reached the end yet; I'll admit that my mind started to drift when the discussion moved onto b&w Leicas :redface:

Am I right in assuming that this was intended to be more of a "first impressions" discussion on the E-M5? I think perhaps that the earlier podcast on the X-Pro1 came across as being more of a in-depth user review. I don't intend that as a criticism, just an observation upon comparing the two podcasts.

Yes, most of us haven't had the E-M5 for long at all.

Amin, when are we going to get a new edition of the podcast? We really enjoyed them... Or have you given up on making any more shows?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back