1 MP photo from 1998

Discussion in 'Other < 1" Sensor Cameras' started by dougpayne, Mar 23, 2017.

1. dougpayne

dougpayne SC Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    C.D. Payne
    Taken in Hawaii with my first digital camera, a HP Photosmart. $300+ price got you a fixed wide-angle lens, optical viewfinder (not through lens), and dinky screen on the back for reviewing the stunning results. Operated on AA batteries. A few years later I tried to give away this camera, but no one wanted it. I wonder why?
    DSC00042.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I remember optical viewfinders from that era....it was a surprise what would be in the corners of the frame

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. RichardB

RichardB SC Regular

Aug 28, 2013
    That's basically a nice image, well composed, and it makes a fine souvenir. I understand why people then said digital couldn't replace film, but digital was already good enough for many purposes, cheap to use, and easy to share on the Internet. I wonder whether smartphone cameras have as much headroom for technical development as digital cameras had in 1998. I doubt it, but I wouldn't bet against it.

4. SnapDawg

SnapDawg Rorschach Test Pilot

Apr 18, 2014
    Canary Islands
    Ken
    My first digicam had 3MP, a Minolta Dimage Xt back in 2003. It wasn't that bad but somebody stole it from me and I replaced it with a much better IXUS 430.

5. greyelm

greyelm SC Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2011
    London, England
    My first digital camera was a 640 x 480 (0.3 megapixel) obscure make that had no lcd only an optical vf. The images were rubbish.

6. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    I once borrowed a camera like that, for my first experience of digital photography. You would only see what you'd taken some time later, when you could download the files to a computer. It was a bit like shooting film in that respect.

-R

• Like Like x 1
  7. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    Oh, yes. And the images were rubbish.

-R

8. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Top Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    My first digicam was a Sony Mavica that recorded 640 x 480 images to a 1.44" floppy. At the time, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. These days, even a small sensor camera is capable of recording images that far surpass the Mavica. How far we've come.

9. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    I remember that camera. It was cool at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    my first digicam was a Kodak DC210. I can't remember the megapixel count but it was pretty rubbish really.

11. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Nice 1MP picture! Thanks for sharing.

12. My first digital camera was a work issued Casio if I remember right. I can't begin to say how bad it was. The first one I purchased was an Agfa 1280. Loved it with all its quirkiness and the photos weren't bad either. I won one on eBay a few years ago real cheap to play with but returned it because the guy had just thrown the 1280 and a boat load of misc cables in the box that had nothing to do with it.