Memory Cards SanDisk lock tab fell off...

BruPri

Top Veteran
Name
Bruce J. Pritchard
Anyone had this issue as well? I'll contact the company tomorrow to see about a replacement of the Extreme Pro 45MB, it either came off in my laptop or X-Pro 1, all I know is I cannot delete or write files. I'm about ready to upgrade to the X Pro 95MB anyway but just wondered if this is a common defect. I think I'll use the cable and minimize the wear and tear shuttling the card back and forth.

Twice. Lost a tab while on vacation and then lost another one shortly after, when I got home. I wish I would have thought of sending them back.. I just tossed them out.

yep SanDisk should replace.
the same thing happened to me with an 8GB Extreme III and while it took a couple fo weeks and a couple of emails to comply with their RTM procedures, I was very happy with their service.

Yes, the lock tab came off a Sandisk Extreme III card inside my GH1 which meant that the card had to be removed by force (after the repair shop quoted above the replacement cost of the camera to disassemble it. The card slot is a bit dinged up now so I put a cheaper 8Gb card in there as "permanent memory" and just transfer images by cable.

That leads me to a question: has anyone here actually used the locking facility on an SD card? I view memory cards as temporary storage only and have never locked a card myself.

I have locked a card only once - and as a bit of an experiement. After I got back from Europe in 2006, I off-loaded all of my images from my camera (a Canon S3 IS!) , archived all of them on my computer's hard drive, burned all of them them to CD and DVD (two copies), and printed some of them. Then, as yet another level of insurance, I locked the two memory cards that I used, put them in a plastic bag, and stored them with the CDs and DVDs. I'm guessing that the cards will be corrupt if I ever try to access the files of them (maybe even the CDs and DVDs), but perhaps I'll be surprised.

Back