Fuji Are there any X10 users here?

JJJPhoto

Regular
I'm just curious if there are any Fujifilm X10 users here at SC or if we only have X-Pro 1 owners.

Despite the limitations and well-known technical annoyances of the X10 I've really enjoyed using it as my "take everywhere" camera when I'm out with my kids. Here are a few snaps I've taken with the X10:
DSCF1033-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF1086-L.jpg

DSCF0848-L.jpg

Nice work! Yes, there are several of us here with X10's; in my case, it's my favorite compact ever. As we speak, though, it's on a plane or truck heading to Edison NJ for a sensor transplant; hoping all goes well and that I'll have it back in a week or so.

Great static electricity shot of your daughter!:D

X10 is one of my two cameras, the other being its older sibling. Glad to have you aboard, JJJphoto!

I'm still deciding about sending mine away for a transplant.

I might send mine in for sensor replacement, but to be honest, I've only seen orbs that "ruin" the image in three of my photos (and I've taken more than 280 images with the X10 since purchasing it). That averages out to a "orb failure rate of about 1 percent of my photos. Granted, most of what I use the X10 for is candid portraiture (no evening landscapes with lights or photos of the ocean) so my experience probably isn't "average."

If other users find that the sensor replacement makes a HUGE improvement then I'll send mine in, otherwise I'll probably just live with the X10 the way it is.

I might send mine in for sensor replacement, but to be honest, I've only seen orbs that "ruin" the image in three of my photos (and I've taken more than 280 images with the X10 since purchasing it). That averages out to a "orb failure rate of about 1 percent of my photos. Granted, most of what I use the X10 for is candid portraiture (no evening landscapes with lights or photos of the ocean) so my experience probably isn't "average."

If other users find that the sensor replacement makes a HUGE improvement then I'll send mine in, otherwise I'll probably just live with the X10 the way it is.

I sent mine in early to get it back in time for a vacation next month. During that vacation, I'll be on a seaside boardwalk at night with my kids and grandkids, with lots of bright lights in the amusement areas. Looks like the perfect storm for disk formation!

I look forward to hearing about your experience and results with the new sensor. That vacation indeed sounds like the perfect way to test if the new sensor resolves the orb issue.

Another X10 user here as well. I have to admit, it took me a little while to properly 'bond' with the camera, but I now carry it with me every day. I haven't seen too many orbs in my shots thus far, so I probably won't worry about the sensor replacement (also I haven't heard much about sensor replacement arrangements here in Aus).

I just replaced my D-Lux 5 with the X10 about a month ago. I haven't had much time to put it to use yet but beginning Saturday I'll be taking it on a 6 day motorcycle trip to the Grand Canyon, 4 National Parks in Utah and back to California along with my Fuji GA645i loaded with black and white film. Should have many images to share with everyone on the forum in the next week or two...

JJJPhoto did you spot the X10 entries in the small sensor cameras forum?
The new X10 sensor is looking very good. Should have my copy by next week.

JJJPhoto did you spot the X10 entries in the small sensor cameras forum?
The new X10 sensor is looking very good. Should have my copy by next week.

Actually, I foolishly didn't even notice the small sensor camera forum. My eyes just went to the Fuji X Forum thinking there would be a bunch of X10 users here. I guess it makes more sense for the X10 to be in that forum section ... although it is part of the "X" camera line. ;)

I will spend some time checking out the small sensor camera threads now.

Yep! I have an X10 to go with my X100 :) It's my favorite compact of all time. I still have my LX5 as a toss around and "danger zone" camera and a Canon G11. They will both be going up for sale as they are collecting dust and someone would still love an LX5/G11....for me? I'll take my X10 any day! I've seen a few orbs but they haven't been a big issue for me at all. I'll wait and see what the new sensor brings and if it has any impact on the overall IQ of the X10.

THanks for the OP. I was beginning to wonder if there were any X10 or even X100 users here!!! :)

Actually, I foolishly didn't even notice the small sensor camera forum. My eyes just went to the Fuji X Forum thinking there would be a bunch of X10 users here. I guess it makes more sense for the X10 to be in that forum section ... although it is part of the "X" camera line. ;)

I will spend some time checking out the small sensor camera threads now.

I understand the point, but it's an X camera per Fuji...

I cant wait to get my x10. It's tax time in Australia so only a few weeks to wait now.
I'm currently using an olympus epl1 and want a carry around everywhere camera with better image quality in low light. Fun times ahead.

I cant wait to get my x10. It's tax time in Australia so only a few weeks to wait now.
I'm currently using an olympus epl1 and want a carry around everywhere camera with better image quality in low light. Fun times ahead.

Well, the X10 is surprisingly good for a compact camera with a smaller sensor, but the only time I would say the X10 is clearly "better" in low light is when you are using a slow lens (like the kit lens) on a m4/3 camera. The X10 can open up to f/2.8 at full telephoto while a kit lens at full tele will give you f/5.6 ... so in those instances it is possible to get better image quality in low light with the X10 but you could also put something like the 12mm f2 or 45mm f1.8 on the E-PL1 and level the playing field.

That said, lately I have been noticing that the X10 gives me just a little better dynamic range in the highlights and shadows than my E-P1 or E-P3 ... something I never would have expected from a smaller sensor.

I have a 50mm f1.8 for my olympus that I mount with an adapter. I find the high iso noise on the olympus is really bad.

Comparison images I have seen show the x10 performs better than the ep3 from iso 1600 and up. The x10 feels like a better camera for my needs and it looks great

Back