Advice needed on a possible commercial use of some photos

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
I was approached by an interior design company that is interested in using some of my photographs from a particular location as the basis for some graphic artwork that would be used in yes, dare I say it, a MacDonald's that is in and around this location, that is this particular small city... They have showed me examples of what they do...and it's kind of a half tone approach... The images would need to be approved by the owner of the franchise and they'd only be used in this one "restaurant".

I've asked about rights, payment and photo credit but would welcome any input and advice should any of this come to fruition.

Right now they are asking if they can use the photos as a "placeholder" to show their client and see if he or she is interested. Not sure what that means...perhaps it means they want to run the images by the client?

Any thoughts from anyone with experience at this sort of thing? Thanks in advance!

For a one time use, you have already sort of established the rights issue, I doubt that type of usage would have any kind of credits, as to the fee, it basically is whatever you are comfortable with and they are willing to pay, just make sure you stick to the one time usage, if they want to own the images for other future projects you can raise the fee to a buyout price. The only thing that concerns me is the "placeholder" reference; legally they cannot even use your images for a presentation with out your permission or consent. Make sure they are just not using you to sell the idea to the client and then use something else in the end.

Thank you, Bob. At this point, I said I would send them a low resolution image to show to their client with their "artistic" version of it... It will be a live and learn situation. They seem to be on the up and up, so we'll see what happens. I haven't sent any photographs yet, and don't allow downloads from my Flickr account but I think we all know that there are ways around that "no download" situation.

I appreciate your advice very much and thank you again!

Back