Sony New RX100 Owner. Comments

petemasty

Regular
Wow!

There you go. That sums up perfectly my experience with the RX100 since I bought the camera 48 hours ago. I'll add a bit more.

Image quality: eye-poppingly good. not just for a small compact, but certainly rivals by Canon 7D and the 15-85mm lens i had attached to it. Honest!
Ability to capture detail: quite astounding. At work i have a low level desk partition covered in a plain blue fabric. i took a picture of it from a few feet away, and the detail it captured, along with the sharpness, was quite breathtaking (yes, breath-taking). i expected a degree of moire, but absolutely no sign of it.
Ease of use: takes some time, like all cameras, but I'm already finding it easy to navigate. the Superior Auto function is quite superb if youre feeling a little bit lazy.
Noise: I'm finding upto 1600 perfectly useable, but do need to do a bit more on this. i have an X100 to compare it to.

The only winge i have about it is the lack of MACRO function directly in the menu. but other than that, it is certainly a keeper.

AF is fast, MF with focus peaking is excellent. The lens ring works much better than the S90/95/100.
no hotshoe mount but i rarely used flash on my DSLRs!.

Cant wait for Lightroom to update their firmware cos this little beauty is just outstanding!. glad i started to trim down the weighty equipment, and now left with this baby and the fuji X100. I really ought to post some pics, but i guess you lot already know how good this camera is.

It really is like having a pocket-sized DSLR

If you dont mind, I'd like to reiterate:

THIS ISNT JUST A STUNNING PERFORMER IN COMPARISON TO OTHER COMPACT CAMERAS, THIS IS A STUNNING PERFORMER FOR A CAMERA, PERIOD, FULL-STOP, ETC.

The only winge i have about it is the lack of MACRO function directly in the menu. but other than that, it is certainly a keeper.

I am very pleased with this camera as well. I gave up my beloved X100 to go to this one. Just a note on MACRO, it is available in both SCN and iAUTO modes but more importantly, the camera automatically focuses at MACRO distances when in any mode at the wide end. I haven't found a need to look for MACRO mode specifically as a result.

cheers keveny. Yep, i noted that too with regard to macro. the bright lcd is excellent in bright sunlight too. it's so nice to get out there again with a camera that is completely unabstrusive, innocuous and unnoticeable. People dont shy away from you either. i do wish the 'user manual' had a bit more to it, but I'm sure tips and tricks will abound as more people buy it. What a cracking lens!!!

+1. This is the shirt pocket size camera which does not make one constantly regret of having left the big guns at home.

I'm heading to the beach for a few days next weekend and I think this is the only camera I'm going to take. I'll probably shoot raw+jpegs just so I'll have the raws to play with once there's support for them, but the jpegs will probably be more than fine...

-Ray

I'm heading to the beach for a few days next weekend and I think this is the only camera I'm going to take. I'll probably shoot raw+jpegs just so I'll have the raws to play with once there's support for them, but the jpegs will probably be more than fine...

-Ray

I'm sure you will enjoy using just this one camera for a few days. I did the same last week in Eastern TN and enjoyed it very much.

Back